A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

comments on displays

Old October 7th 12, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cuflyer
external usenet poster

Default comments on displays

Okay, my spare iPaq just crashed on me. I'm down to one to count on.
Time to do something this winter. I know there have been discussions, but as of today, what is the best choice of an -available- display I can run Winpilot on and plug into my 302? A ClearNav is not in my budget.

Thx,
Tim
1FL
Old October 7th 12, 05:15 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Jul 2012

I fly in a club glider and for portability between aircraft I am running a Nexus 7 with XCSoar. Easy mounting options, 7" screen, good visibility/readability in sunlight, fast GPS, accelerometer, and you can buy it at your local Walmart for a couple of hundred dollars - with a $20 Google play certificate.
Old October 7th 12, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I can sell you a mio set up with lk8000 a car charger and a suction cup mount for $125. Comes with any databases you designate ready to play!

Lane
Old October 7th 12, 11:04 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Jul 2012

Here is a good comparison video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96zFLuuTbEE&feature=plcp
Old October 7th 12, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 7, 2012 10:26:41 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I can sell you a mio set up with lk8000 a car charger and a suction cup mount for $125. Comes with any databases you designate ready to play!

Lane

The Nexus 7 means you have to use XCSoar, currently the only soaring flight software to run on Android devices, and it is rather large for many cockpits. I have just bought a GliderGuider, a Windows CE device with a very bright 5 inch screen, which will run most soaring flight programs and is exceptionally suitable for use in a glider cockpit. The same hardware device is sold as a Vertica V2.
Old October 8th 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley
external usenet poster

If you like your current setup, there are lots of iPaqs on ebay for very cheap. ... Aaron
Old October 8th 12, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Time to do something this winter. I know there have been discussions, but as of today, what is the best choice of an -available- display I can run Winpilot on and plug into my 302?

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/seeyou...hce_pdapna.htm

This is the exact same device as the GliderGuider and the Vertica 2 just without any sort of silk screened name.This would be less expensive as it is from a US source. It is very bright and is receiving high remarks.
Old October 8th 12, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 7, 2012 6:18:02 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
Time to do something this winter. I know there have been discussions, but as of today, what is the best choice of an -available- display I can run Winpilot on and plug into my 302? http://www.wingsandwheels.com/seeyou...hce_pdapna.htm This is the exact same device as the GliderGuider and the Vertica 2 just without any sort of silk screened name.This would be less expensive as it is from a US source. It is very bright and is receiving high remarks.

This looks nice but is it competible with WP Pro, 302 etc??
Old October 8th 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara
external usenet poster

should work fine with any of the normal PNA type software and communicate
with most delives like the CAI302
tim

"6PK" wrote in message
On Sunday, October 7, 2012 6:18:02 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
Time to do something this winter. I know there have been discussions,
but as of today, what is the best choice of an -available- display I can
run Winpilot on and plug into my 302?
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/seeyou...hce_pdapna.htm This is
the exact same device as the GliderGuider and the Vertica 2 just without
any sort of silk screened name.This would be less expensive as it is
from a US source. It is very bright and is receiving high remarks.

This looks nice but is it competible with WP Pro, 302 etc??

Old October 9th 12, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

On Monday, October 8, 2012 1:58:07 PM UTC-7, Tim Mara wrote:
should work fine with any of the normal PNA type software and communicate with most delives like the CAI302 tim "6PK" wrote in message ... On Sunday, October 7, 2012 6:18:02 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote: Time to do something this winter. I know there have been discussions, but as of today, what is the best choice of an -available- display I can run Winpilot on and plug into my 302? http://www.wingsandwheels.com/seeyou...hce_pdapna.htm This is the exact same device as the GliderGuider and the Vertica 2 just without any sort of silk screened name.This would be less expensive as it is from a US source. It is very bright and is receiving high remarks. This looks nice but is it competible with WP Pro, 302 etc??

Than you must know something I don't Tim. According to WP website he only offers the Advanced version for PNA and not the Pro.
In wich case the 302 will not communicate with the device. But maybe I'm reading this wrong?
http://winpilot.com/Default.aspx