So much for straight-out fights...

Old April 3rd 18, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default So much for straight-out fights...

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 4:02:07 PM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
Well since I'm a straight-out kind of guy....just another reason to forget about OLC.
I know we are a small minority but it is now time to consider something other than OLC.

OLC still keeps track of your distance, and at this time it's still the place where most flights are posted.

I post to OLC first, as it really is *the* place to share flights. I also post to http://www.crosscountry.aero/index and https://skylines.aero, but often a few days or weeks later as they're just not as easy to remember - again because OLC is *the* place to see nearly all flights that get posted.

IMHO it's really nice if everyone posts at least to OLC since it's a good way to see who's flying where. And the data can be used to see where to fly and when. But this only works if everyone posts all flights.

5Z
Old April 3rd 18, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 4/2/2018 8:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

Right, Tom, but if we want to see what and how each other is doing, we
need a common place.Â* I've been using Skylines.aero
https://skylines.aero/ for a long time since it's got a decent
interface and maps and allows me to choose my preferred units.Â* I'll
give crosscountry.aero a look-see, as well.
--
Dan, 5J

Old April 3rd 18, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I am with Tom. I post to additional places such as crosscountry.aero but OLC is still the de facto online place to post flights, and will probably remain so.
The recent change has no impact on OLC classic/plus which is what most of us are using, at least in the US. I rarely look at the OLC speed and OLC league, I don’t see much value in them, and even less now with the new rule.
BTW for those looking at additional places to post, I find crosscountry.aero far superior to skylines. Last I checked you couldn’t adjust your start point in skyline so your distance would be calculated based on skyline guess of your release point, which if it was wrong, you couldn’t change it. Maybe they finally provided this option as OLC and crosscountry do. Crosscountry also has an electronic logbook for small subscription fee which is the only online logbook I am aware of.

Ramy