A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

iGlide loses saved routes

Old November 18th 18, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default iGlide loses saved routes

I’ve need flying with iGlide on an iPad mini 4 for a couple years now. It’s really good, but it has an annoying feature of losing all of the saved routes every couple of months. I usually happens right after I’ve entered a long route. It’s frustrating. I enter a new round with 6 turn points and then I hold my breath. Is it going to lose them all or not? And when it looses the route I’ve just entered it also looses every other route that I’ve entered over the past couple of months. Is there a way to recover the saved routes?

iGlide does not lose custom turn points. It does not lose my flight logs. But it loses saved routes. Has anybody else seen this? Is there a fix?

Old November 18th 18, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default iGlide loses saved routes

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 8:14:39 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I’ve need flying with iGlide on an iPad mini 4 for a couple years now. It’s really good, but it has an annoying feature of losing all of the saved routes every couple of months. I usually happens right after I’ve entered a long route. It’s frustrating. I enter a new round with 6 turn points and then I hold my breath. Is it going to lose them all or not? And when it looses the route I’ve just entered it also looses every other route that I’ve entered over the past couple of months. Is there a way to recover the saved routes?

iGlide does not lose custom turn points. It does not lose my flight logs.. But it loses saved routes. Has anybody else seen this? Is there a fix?

I've not seen that, have perhaps 20 routes going back several years, and moved forward across a couple of devices and several iOS versions. You do have to be careful when entering a new one to explicitly save it, their UI isn't super intuitive there.

The routes are kept in a file named Routes.aip which is an xml formatted text file. In iTunes I believe you can save and restore that file. That's how I've moved it from phone to phone. The only data loss I've seen is losing all the data (looks like a fresh install), that's happened twice now in doing an OS update. Last time was several years back. For that reason though, I backup all the data files before I do an OS update. Don't just do the routes, get the config, the navbox_config, and the styles files. While you are at it take a look at them: they allow further customization of the UI, though it is undocumented it is somewhat self documenting.