EDS

Old December 14th 05, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default EDS

Eric:

I bought the whole kit from EDS, so I'm assuming I have the correct
regulator. That said, I've never checked the pressure at the first stage
regulator outlet.

Since I've been using a recording oximeter with an audible low sat alarm (a
bit more than $200, unfortunately) for several years now, I'd know if O2
delivery was low. Oxygen is cheap enough that I'm not too concerned about a
bit too much delivery, as long as the bottle lasts the whole of a long
flight.

There are now some OEM Bluetooth-enabled oximeters available from Nonin
that, with some programming, could display saturation and pulse rate on a
PDA screen. The PDA could then provide an alarm. Combined with a cheap
pressure transducer on the bottle, one could monitor all the important
parameters in one place. Something for the WinPilot and SeeU developers to
play with?

I'll contact MH and send the whole kit to them for PM at the next annual.
Meanwhile, I'll check the output of the first stage regulator on the bottle.
With the minor exception of the (slightly) high O2 consumption, I'm very
pleased with the EDS setup. If I were doing it again, I'd buy a bigger
bottle though.

I put a new nine volt into it every two months and recycle the old one into
ground-based, non critical devices; same with the AA cells in the Oximeter.

Thanks for the info.

Ray Warshaw
1LK

Old December 15th 05, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It occurs to me that, using an oximeter in a feedback loop, the length
and/or pressure of the pulse could be varied by the device to maintain
a target O2 sat. Might need more than a nine-volt to power it though
and the extra stuff would add expense. Add an audible low saturation
alarm and you'd have a neat, albeit more expensive, device.

Ray Warshaw