Airbus A380 in Arizona

Old December 7th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.misc
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Airbus A380 in Arizona

David Lesher wrote:

How are the airlines moving spare 767/777 style engines around?

I live in the same town as a major P&W rebuild center.

I see many, many, engines come and go on drop-center trailer trucks,
pulled by tractors with massive sleepers, satellite TV, etc... They're
more like tractor trailer campers than trucks. There seems to be a
major specialty industry moving engines. I really doubt these trucks
would be practical for a trip of less than a few hundred miles.
Old December 8th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.misc
David Lesher

B A R R Y writes:

How are the airlines moving spare 767/777 style engines around?

I live in the same town as a major P&W rebuild center.

I see many, many, engines come and go on drop-center trailer trucks,
pulled by tractors with massive sleepers, satellite TV, etc... They're
more like tractor trailer campers than trucks. There seems to be a
major specialty industry moving engines. I really doubt these trucks
would be practical for a trip of less than a few hundred miles.

And how long does it the truck take to get to HNL?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old December 8th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.misc
B A R R Y[_2_]

David Lesher wrote:

And how long does it the truck take to get to HNL?

Hawaii has interstate highways, no? G

Look on your map for the intersection of I-80 and H1...

Old December 8th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.misc
Ad absurdum per aspera

The 747 supposedly still has an underwing hardpoint meant for ferrying
a spare engine. Dunno if this is general purpose or only suitable for
the type(s) of engines used on the 747.

However, I think this has gotten somewhat passe' due to various
factors, including increasing availability of freighter variants of the
widebodies, the low probability of zorching an engine so badly that you
have to replace the whole thing rather than put in parts or
subassemblies, and more engine repair facilities in more places.

--Joe

Old December 8th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.misc
Geoff Miller

Ad absurdum per aspera writes:

The 747 supposedly still has an underwing hardpoint meant for
ferrying a spare engine. Dunno if this is general purpose or
only suitable for the type(s) of engines used on the 747.

Good question. I've only ever seen pictures of such planes carrying
spare engines of the same type they use, or at least of the same
shape. But who knows what might be out there?

However, I think this has gotten somewhat passe' due to various
factors, including increasing availability of freighter variants
of the widebodies, the low probability of zorching an engine so
badly that you have to replace the whole thing rather than put in
parts or subassemblies, and more engine repair facilities in more
places.

I suspect that the parts that are both the most likely to fail and
the easiest to replace (generators, pumps, valves, etc.) are readily
available along a given route and pretty much always have been, so
I'd lean toward the freighter-availability explanation.

Geoff

--
"The left has a whole vocabulary devoted to depicting people who
do not meet standards as people who have been denied 'access.'"