Automatic trim in FS2002?

Old October 15th 03, 09:20 AM
John Penta

Default Automatic trim in FS2002?

OK...I get most of how to fly...Except trim. I can never keep
on top of it.

Is there a way to automate trim?
Old October 15th 03, 01:20 PM
Quilljar

John Penta wrote:
OK...I get most of how to fly...Except trim. I can never keep
on top of it.

Is there a way to automate trim?

Certainly not, and I hope there never will be,. It is one of the few things
left for a pilot to do him/herself. Like everything else you have to
practise and learn it. Do you think anyone can fly a plane?
Don't answer that!

---

Old October 15th 03, 07:01 PM
H M

Is there a way to automate trim?

Certainly not, and I hope there never will be

sorry to disappoint you, but the 747-400 has an autotrim function, in
real life anyway. don't know about FS200x.

Old October 15th 03, 08:55 PM
David Brooks

"John Penta" wrote in message
OK...I get most of how to fly...Except trim. I can never keep
on top of it.

Is there a way to automate trim?

Run the autopilot for a few seconds, and turn it off again. You can even do
that in a real plane, although most pilots can do it manually with less fuss
because they were trained in an old autopilot-free clunker.

-- David Brooks

Old October 15th 03, 10:44 PM
Quilljar

H M wrote:
Is there a way to automate trim?

Certainly not, and I hope there never will be

sorry to disappoint you, but the 747-400 has an autotrim function, in
real life anyway. don't know about FS200x.

Hmmm I am sorry to hear that, but I was talking about aircraft not damn
great flying buses!
I know those things are marvels, but they exist so that I can go on holiday
not for flying purposes!

---

Old October 16th 03, 04:15 AM
nooneimportant

Actually the trim in the sim is not infinitely variable like in real
aircraft... in the real C-172 i fly about twice a week its incredibly easy
to trim to pressure free flight and keep the airplane doing what you want it
to do... very hard to do in the sim.. one you do NOT have realistic control
forces, even with a good FF stick(but i use a yoke, more realistic that way)
and half the time the setting you need is between posible trim settings on
the sim. Sure you can tweak it a bit with power and get yer trim right that
way, but thats not how its done in real life... so what i usually do is if i
can't get it right away in the sim keeping in mind it can take 2-3 gyrations
to get there (just like in real life) i will go ahead and bump the autopilot
on for about 20 seconds, then back off. So i do think it would be handy to
have an autotrim feature, just like some instruments need to be a bit more
sensitive for VFR pilots considering that you are only looking at a few
degrees of sky instead of the 180ish deg you get in real life (Flight
unlimited 2 and 3 were horrible in that respect, very slow instrument
response rates made VFR flight very difficult if you were trying to use the
instruments to confirm what you saw out the window).

Old October 16th 03, 09:15 AM
Scet

"Quilljar" wrote in message
John Penta wrote:
OK...I get most of how to fly...Except trim. I can never keep
on top of it.

Is there a way to automate trim?

Certainly not, and I hope there never will be,. It is one of the few

things
left for a pilot to do him/herself. Like everything else you have to
practise and learn it. Do you think anyone can fly a plane?
Don't answer that!

---

P3's have auto trim.

Scet