BFR

Old June 4th 04, 12:28 AM
JL

Default BFR

Finally got my BFR done. It ran out on me 12/31/03. I did the ground part
on 12/28, then we went to fly, couldn't get the plane started, dead battery,
finally did by jumping it.

Taxied to the run-up area, did the run up. CFI thought I had turned "off"
the key, the mag was that bad. We gave it some RPMs, and tried again. Same
result. Then taxied down the runway at full throttle a bit and departed the
runway, did the run up again, it was better - but not good enough for me.
So taxied back to the FBO, then they couldn't find the keys to the other
plane. So I was screwed.

Seems like life got busy, my daughter getting married and all (In Hawaii).
CFI called on a Friday and wanted to finish it on Saturday, I was leaving
for Hawaii on Sunday, so I passed. (this was now mid March).

Tired to call him several times, no answer. Finally caught him at the
airport, he was about to head out of town for a week, but he said he would
call me soon as he got back. yeah right.... never heard from him.

I finally gave up on him. Figured I would just have to do the ground over
with another CFI, what a pain & pay for it again.

Went over to the airport about a week ago, visited this one FBO (new), they
had 2 152s, they looked ok. Had 2 CFI they worked with. The owner got a
hold of one of them and arranged for them to meet me last Saturday morning.

Weather wasn't all that good, ceiling abort 2500 and about a 12 knot wind.
CFI accepted my prior hour of ground (about the only good thing).

Got to the plane, did the preflight, all looked ok. Taxied to the run-up
area, so far so good. Took off, no problems.

Then discovered the DG didn't work, did some ground work, ok. CFI kept
telling me to turn to such a heading, yeah right. the roads ran north
south, east west, used them for reference. This was when I was thinking
about calling it off, his English was terrible. I could understand about
1/3 of what he was saying and asking me to do.

Then we headed for Meacham Field, Class D, that's when I found out my radio
mike button didn't work, no problem the CFI called the tower.

Also found out I wasn't the only one that couldn't understand the CFI. He
was French.

Landings got really interesting as the wind had picked up, and was getting
gusty. When we got done, he commented that if I could fly in what we had, I
shouldn't have any problems.

I learned several things.
1. Don't wait so long, I hadn't flown in 5 months, it showed.
2. Use a plane you are familiar with.
3. Get a CFI that does more than pretend to speak English.

Trying to deal with a CFI that did not have good English, made it very
stressful. I won't make that mistake again.

This turned out to be more stressful than my checkride. Just glad I got it
signed off. I will never again go to that FBO or use that CFI.

But all ends well, I can get back to flying on a regular basis again.