Riding vs Flying -- How many here ride?

Old July 1st 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Riding vs Flying -- How many here ride?

Having just returned from a 3-day motorcycle camping trip, the riding
experience is once again fresh in my mind. (Alas, I don't get to ride
much nowadays; but there was a time when Mary and I rode
coast-to-coast...)

I'm always struck by the similarities between riding and flying.
Basically, riding is 2-dimensional flying, with similar handling
characteristics and risk factors. The geometry of banking into turns
is identical, and the camaraderie with fellow riders is very similar to
that seen among pilots.

And, of course, the risk of instant death caused by someone else's (or
your own) stupidity is always present. That heightened sense of "being
alive" is something both riders and flyers seem to crave.

It used to be that most pilots I knew rode motorcycles, but that seems
to be less of a correlation lately. Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 1st 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

It used to be that most pilots I knew rode motorcycles, but that seems
to be less of a correlation lately. Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?

Thirty years ago, when I was in college, I thought about riding
motorcycles. I decided to so some research and found a collection of
medial reports about injuries found in motorcycle accident victims.
After reading numerous reports about crushed bones and the long
rehabilition process, I decide there would not be a motorcycle in my
future.
Old July 1st 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyingmonk[_1_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

I have owned:
198? Yamaha 250cc dirt bike
1985 900cc Ninja (the first tht came out, same model as the one Tom
Cruise rode in "Top Gun") I was a senior in High School.
1970 Harley Davidons Electraglide. Bought from an estate for
$1,350.00, took apart, cleaned and reinstalled the carburator and new
batery and she roared to life on first try. Awesome machine. Sold her
for $9,000.00 for down payment on my first house.
1988 Suzuki GSXR750. Just to carve the back roads with.

I now only have a basket case ( I took it apart years ago with the
intention of totally rebuilding it) 197? 750cc Suzuki two stroke
(shoiuld be very fast vintage cafe racer). It and a 1982 Honda VT
Ascot were given to me by a friend who didn't have the room, he stored
them at my place and after seven-eight years, told me to throw them
away. I gave the Ascott to my current neighbor who is rebuilding the
carb on it right now.

I still ride every now and then my brother in-laws 2005 Kawasaki 900
Ninja. Oh yeah, I bought my 9 year old daughtera 50cc dirtbike that I
also ride around on the trails behind our house and also in out
cul-de-sac. :-)

Monk

Old July 1st 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

It used to be that most pilots I knew rode motorcycles, but that seems
to be less of a correlation lately. Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?

No, yes. I'll buy a bike again once finances permit. Right now I'm
taking an online masters and my oldest daughter enters college in two
months for the start of 12 continuous years of college bills (3 kids, 4
years apart in school). I won't be doing much flying or riding any time
soon.

Matt
Old July 1st 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

john smith wrote:

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

It used to be that most pilots I knew rode motorcycles, but that seems
to be less of a correlation lately. Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?

Thirty years ago, when I was in college, I thought about riding
motorcycles. I decided to so some research and found a collection of
medial reports about injuries found in motorcycle accident victims.
After reading numerous reports about crushed bones and the long
rehabilition process, I decide there would not be a motorcycle in my
future.

Did you read about the car accidents also? Do you still drive?

Matt
Old July 1st 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
houstondan

jay, yep, i still ride a bike (1700cc yamaha warrior...v-twin) and i
will say that your analysis of the similarity is good. on a bike, as in
a plane, you have your life in your own hands. it's all up to you. i
will say that over the years, my idea of a good bike ride has shifted a
bit. a couple of hours being bounced in a convection-oven (houston
summer at 80mph) is about all i can take, or want to take, any more.
lately, i'll confess to looking at the bike and thinking how much it
would bring in a.m.u.

dan

Old July 1st 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Matt Whiting wrote:

john smith wrote:

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

It used to be that most pilots I knew rode motorcycles, but that seems
to be less of a correlation lately. Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?

Thirty years ago, when I was in college, I thought about riding
motorcycles. I decided to so some research and found a collection of
medial reports about injuries found in motorcycle accident victims.
After reading numerous reports about crushed bones and the long
rehabilition process, I decide there would not be a motorcycle in my
future.

Did you read about the car accidents also? Do you still drive?

In a car or truck, I at least have something around me that is going to
take the first blow. Airbags and crumple zones work, I have witnessed
the results.
Old July 1st 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Casey Wilson[_1_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

It used to be that most pilots I knew rode motorcycles, but that seems
to be less of a correlation lately. Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?
--

Used to, wife and I both. Parked both two-wheelers about ten years ago.
Still have the license, but no desire.

Old July 1st 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Byrer

It used to be that most pilots I knew rode motorcycles, but that seems
to be less of a correlation lately. Wot say the group -- do you
currently ride a motorcycle? Did you in the past?

My wife enjoys flying with me...but she won't let me get a bike, not
even a little one for around town.

She doesnt think it's safe

More $$ for flying, I guess!

--Don
Don Byrer
Commercial Pilot / CFI Student
Electronics Technician, RADAR/Data/Comm @ CLE
Amateur Radio KJ5KB

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..."
"I know what it sounds like....when doves cry" (Bird Strike 8/29/05)
Old July 1st 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Yes, begin when I was 17. Rode many years, no injuries, a
few close calls. Avoiding homicidal car drivers was biggest
concern. Had a number of bikes, a Triumph TR120 early on
and the Honda XL250 was my last bike. I hope to get a
Harley Sportster one of these days.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P