RST Digital Engine Monitor-ATTN Jim Weir

Old February 28th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
dodger

Default RST Digital Engine Monitor-ATTN Jim Weir

I'm attempting to build the RST Digital Engine Monitor (Kitplanes Feb.
2002). I could not find the LCD panel meter specified in the plans or
even the substitute mentioned in the addendum (http://www.rst-engr.com/
kitplanes/KP0202/KP0202.htm) so I tried to substitute one I found at
All Electronics (PM_200). I can get the circuit to work ok except I
need to power the panel meter with a separate 9 v. battery. Whenever I
try and hook it into the common dc circuit it goes into error mode.
Apparently, it needs an isolated power supply. Do you have any idea if
there is a way around this? It would be such a pain to have to
periodically change batteries behind the dash, not to mention it would
undoubtedly go out at the most in opportune moment.

Thanks,
Roger

Old February 28th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
dodger

Thanks for the reply. But I don't think that will help in this
situation. It is not simply an issue of getting appropriate voltage to
the display. There are 4 pins on the display. Two are the +/- that
are rated from 8-12 volts dc to power the display. The other two pins
are the hi/low inputs (200 mA meter). I tried to isolate the circuits
by supplying the display directly from the 12 volt buss and then
powering the quad op amp off of a lm7805. Both circuits run fine until
I hook up the LOW input to the ground on the amplifier circuit. Then
the display goes into error mode. I don't even have to hook in the
HIGH sense line and it goes to error mode. What seems to happen is
that both the negative (ground) pin of the dc power and the LOW sense
line pin are essentially grounded together and it simply won't work
that way. I'm not electronically sharp enough to think of any way of
isolating the two circuits without a battery.
Roger

On Feb 28, 10:45 am, "comanche driver" spamawayassh.ole wrote:
use a lm7809 voltage reg on a heat sink from the 12v in to dirve the
display.

"dodger" wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm attempting to build the RST Digital Engine Monitor (Kitplanes Feb.
2002). I could not find the LCD panel meter specified in the plans or
even the substitute mentioned in the addendum (http://www.rst-engr.com/
kitplanes/KP0202/KP0202.htm) so I tried to substitute one I found at
All Electronics (PM_200). I can get the circuit to work ok except I
need to power the panel meter with a separate 9 v. battery. Whenever I
try and hook it into the common dc circuit it goes into error mode.
Apparently, it needs an isolated power supply. Do you have any idea if
there is a way around this? It would be such a pain to have to
periodically change batteries behind the dash, not to mention it would
undoubtedly go out at the most in opportune moment.

Thanks,
Roger- Hide quoted text -

Old February 28th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Had you considered googling

digital panel meter lcd

and noticed that you get a little over a million hits? You need one that
advertises "common ground" in their specifications. Most of the ones I just
looked at are in the $12 range.

Trumeter, the folks who built that little meter, are no longer in the dpm
biz.

Jim

oups.com...

Old February 28th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
dodger

On Feb 28, 4:31 pm, "RST Engineering" wrote:
Had you considered googling

digital panel meter lcd

and noticed that you get a little over a million hits? You need one that
advertises "common ground" in their specifications. Most of the ones I just
looked at are in the $12 range.

Trumeter, the folks who built that little meter, are no longer in the dpm
biz.

Jim

"dodger" wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm attempting to build the RST Digital Engine Monitor (Kitplanes Feb.
2002). I could not find the LCD panel meter specified in the plans or
even the substitute mentioned in the addendum (http://www.rst-engr.com/
kitplanes/KP0202/KP0202.htm) so I tried to substitute one I found at
All Electronics (PM_200). I can get the circuit to work ok except I
need to power the panel meter with a separate 9 v. battery. Whenever I
try and hook it into the common dc circuit it goes into error mode.
Apparently, it needs an isolated power supply. Do you have any idea if
there is a way around this? It would be such a pain to have to
periodically change batteries behind the dash, not to mention it would
undoubtedly go out at the most in opportune moment.

Thanks,
Roger- Hide quoted text -

thanks a bunch. that's pretty much how I found this meter in the first
place. just didn't know about the common ground issue.
Roger

Old February 28th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"dodger" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the reply. But I don't think that will help in this
situation.

The best thing is to just get a common ground meter like Jim suggests.

Your only other choice is an isolating DC-DC converter. MPJA
http://www.mpja.com/ usually has an interesting selection of DC-DC converters
and other fun bits.

Vaughn

Old March 3rd 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
dodger

Thanks, I'll check it out.

On Feb 28, 6:34 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote: