Private Pilot Uniforms

Old November 28th 07, 10:04 PM
rotor&wing rotor&wing is offline
Member

Location: florida

Remember also as you wear your uniform around the airport and FBO, carry a leather flight case loaded down with books and "charts". Also, have an official looking ID card hanging on a lanyard around your neck. Make sure everyone addresses you as "Captain". Have your wife and kids always use phrases such as "Well, you know the Captain really likes the Red Lobster when he gets back from flying his line".

And get the business cards made up that have "Captain" before your name.
Old November 29th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default Private Pilot Uniforms

On 2007-11-25 13:26:21 -0800, "Frank" said:

I am anticipating getting my private certificate in the not-too-distant =
future. I know this may sound like a real dorky thing to some people, =
which is why I am reluctant to ask my instructor, but I was thinking =
about getting a uniform.

If you were really smart, you would wear a flight suit. Pockets in all
the right places and flame retardant.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old November 29th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

rotor&wing wrote:
Remember also as you wear your uniform around the airport and FBO, carry
a leather flight case loaded down with books and "charts". Also, have an
official looking ID card hanging on a lanyard around your neck. Make
sure everyone addresses you as "Captain". Have your wife and kids
always use phrases such as "Well, you know the Captain really likes the
Red Lobster when he gets back from flying his line".

And get the business cards made up that have "Captain" before your
name.

You guys forgot the "Crew" tag on the flight bag. G
Old November 29th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

If you were really smart, you would wear a flight suit. Pockets in all
the right places and flame retardant.

I bought a used flight suit (from an army surplus store) with the
intent of wearing it for CAP. It's now relegated to use around the
hangar as coveralls (Mary and I both have them) and I can vouch for
the fact that they are excellent for this purpose.

They are comfortable, warm and have (as you say) lots of pockets.
They protect my clothes when I'm changing the oil, and are also useful
as Halloween costumes. (We've worn them for this several times, as
well as in the Fourth of July parade, when we drove our float as Fred
Noonan and Amelia Earhart. And, yes, I know they didn't wear flight
suits like these in the '30s, but 95% of the crowd didn't know that!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 30th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

rotor&wing wrote:
Make
sure everyone addresses you as "Captain". And get the business cards made
up that have "Captain" before your
name.

Your point being?

;-)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old December 1st 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
~^ beancounter ~^

my uniform while learning was surfer sandals , flower shirts, and
shorts...oh yea, and a cool pair of sun glasses... ;-)

have fun !!

ps: if your the capitan, you set all/any rules....

On Nov 25, 2:46 pm, Jon Kraus wrote:
If this is even a real question adn not a bit aof trolling... You may
not offend anyone but they may wonder about your sanity... Save your
money and purchase more flying time..

The uniform thing in a single engine plane would look totally freakn' gay!!

Frank wrote:
I am anticipating getting my private certificate in the not-too-distant
future. I know this may sound like a real dorky thing to some people,
which is why I am reluctant to ask my instructor, but I was thinking
about getting a uniform.

I do not want to do anything against any "protocol", nor would I want to
offend any career pilots or military personnel. Accordingly, I want to
pose the questions for everyone here.

Is it permissible for a private pilot to wear a shirt and/or jacket that
epaulettes with 4 gold stripes? I believe that gold is for "officers"
(such as the captain of the plane) and 4 stripes signify the pilot (3
are for crew). Is this correct?

Also, is it ok to wear a pilot cap with generic gold wings to match the
epaulettes?

Although this may sound a little quirky to some, I am interested in
displaying how VERY proud I am, but I don't want to offend.- Hide quoted text -

Old December 1st 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
CriticalMass

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
rotor&wing wrote:
Make
sure everyone addresses you as "Captain". And get the business cards made
up that have "Captain" before your
name.

Your point being?

C'mon. You can't figure it out for yourself?

The "point", obviously, is that it's **frigin ridiculous**.
Old December 1st 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:45:03 -0600, CriticalMass wrote:

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
rotor&wing wrote:
Make
sure everyone addresses you as "Captain". And get the business cards made
up that have "Captain" before your
name.

Your point being?

C'mon. You can't figure it out for yourself?

The "point", obviously, is that it's **frigin ridiculous**.

Hint: The guy that "didn't get the point" is...

Wait for it!

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe!"

Myself? I thought his response was rather funny! G

Old January 12th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Edward A. Falk

In article ,
Frank wrote:

I attended a lecture by someone who had flown a Mooney solo around the
world. She said that in a lot of the world, you won't be treated like
a pilot unless you look like a pilot, so a uniform was a must if you
wanted decent service.

In the U.S. or most of western civilization it would just look silly
(although I do have the shirt and hat for costume parties.)

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/