Unusual banner tow

Old April 11th 09, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Jones[_2_]

Default Unusual banner tow

Saw an odd airplane towing a banner over downtown Denver today. It was
a biplane, with a higher aspect ratio than I've ever seen on such a
machine. And the leading edges were swept over about the outer third
of the span...it looked for all the world like two Discus wings
grafted onto a Jungmeister fuselage. Anybody know what this thing was?

Incidentally, the banner carried the logo of FirstBank, and read "This
is the closest thing we have to a private jet". And just to drive the
message home a bit more, the airplane emitted a puff of black smoke
every so often...

rj
Old April 11th 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Apr 10, 5:18*pm, Ralph Jones wrote:
Saw an odd airplane towing a banner over downtown Denver today. It was
a biplane, with a higher aspect ratio than I've ever seen on such a
machine. And the leading edges were swept over about the outer third
of the span...it looked for all the world like two Discus wings
grafted onto a Jungmeister fuselage. Anybody know what this thing was?

Incidentally, the banner carried the logo of FirstBank, and read "This
is the closest thing we have to a private jet". And just to drive the
message home a bit more, the airplane emitted a puff of black smoke
every so often...

rj

DW-1 Eagle?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2011616

Craig
Old April 11th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Apr 10, 5:18*pm, Ralph Jones wrote:
Saw an odd airplane towing a banner over downtown Denver today. It was
a biplane, with a higher aspect ratio than I've ever seen on such a
machine. And the leading edges were swept over about the outer third
of the span...it looked for all the world like two Discus wings
grafted onto a Jungmeister fuselage. Anybody know what this thing was?

Incidentally, the banner carried the logo of FirstBank, and read "This
is the closest thing we have to a private jet". And just to drive the
message home a bit more, the airplane emitted a puff of black smoke
every so often...

rj

and a picture
http://www.agairupdate.com/aau/AAUPi...EagleJesus.jpg
Craig
Old April 11th 09, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred Blair

If it was anything along the design of the Jungmeister, it probably had some
swept edges somewhere. A friend of mine built a Bucker Jungmeister while I
was in high school and he was showing me in the blueprints that every angle
on the aircraft was 13 degrees; it was like the designer had only one
measuring device and it was cut at 13 degrees. Even the control stick had
several joints that were each 13 degrees.

Old April 11th 09, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Jones[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:32:52 -0700 (PDT), Craig
wrote:

On Apr 10, 5:18*pm, Ralph Jones wrote:
Saw an odd airplane towing a banner over downtown Denver today. It was
a biplane, with a higher aspect ratio than I've ever seen on such a
machine. And the leading edges were swept over about the outer third
of the span...it looked for all the world like two Discus wings
grafted onto a Jungmeister fuselage. Anybody know what this thing was?

Incidentally, the banner carried the logo of FirstBank, and read "This
is the closest thing we have to a private jet". And just to drive the
message home a bit more, the airplane emitted a puff of black smoke
every so often...

rj

DW-1 Eagle?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2011616

Craig

Yep, that's it...thanks.

rj
Old April 11th 09, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Apr 11, 2:32*am, Craig wrote:
On Apr 10, 5:18*pm, Ralph Jones wrote:

Saw an odd airplane towing a banner over downtown Denver today. It was
a biplane, with a higher aspect ratio than I've ever seen on such a
machine. And the leading edges were swept over about the outer third
of the span...it looked for all the world like two Discus wings
grafted onto a Jungmeister fuselage. Anybody know what this thing was?

Incidentally, the banner carried the logo of FirstBank, and read "This
is the closest thing we have to a private jet". And just to drive the
message home a bit more, the airplane emitted a puff of black smoke
every so often...

rj

DW-1 Eagle?http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...8d63f62a984b4a...

Craig

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contri...Wesch/3166.htm
Old April 12th 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bellanca built them. In fact the type certificate and production
tooling is for sale if you want to own an aircraft factory. The use
wooden wings like the vikings. Operators say they have a wonderful
spray pattern.

banner towing Emily Piloting 9 July 8th 06 02:42 AM
banner towing cmg2005 Piloting 3 June 13th 05 05:10 PM
banner-towing [email protected] Piloting 3 May 26th 05 12:30 PM
Banner Towing Scott Schluer Piloting 19 May 4th 05 10:25 PM
Tow banner on a PP license Victor Piloting 19 March 31st 04 04:56 AM