looking for a video

Old May 15th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

Default looking for a video

I saw a video some time back that was 3 or 4 WWII fighters skimming their
wheels along some glassy smooth water at about 300 knots in formation. I've
looked all over but can't find it anywhere.

Any help greatly appreciated.

mike

Old May 15th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"mike regish" wrote in message
I saw a video some time back that was 3 or 4 WWII fighters skimming their
wheels along some glassy smooth water at about 300 knots in formation. I've
looked all over but can't find it anywhere.

Any help greatly appreciated.

mike

I think this is what you are after.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhUugWO-_AA

Crash Lander

Old May 15th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

mike regish wrote
I saw a video some time back that was 3 or 4 WWII fighters skimming
their wheels along some glassy smooth water at about 300 knots in
formation. I've looked all over but can't find it anywhere.

Well Mike.....they wern't "fighters", but just plain'ole T-6s, and I
can assure that they weren't doing 300 kts. :-)

Try he or any Google for T-6 Water Skiing

http://warbirdcentral.magnify.net/item/B08GDRGVJNMW9P5Y

Bob Moore
Old May 15th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article 28,
Bob Moore wrote:

mike regish wrote
I saw a video some time back that was 3 or 4 WWII fighters skimming
their wheels along some glassy smooth water at about 300 knots in
formation. I've looked all over but can't find it anywhere.

Well Mike.....they wern't "fighters", but just plain'ole T-6s, and I
can assure that they weren't doing 300 kts. :-)

Try he or any Google for T-6 Water Skiing

http://warbirdcentral.magnify.net/item/B08GDRGVJNMW9P5Y

Might be thinking of the video of the Mirage's with background the music.
Old May 15th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

"mike regish" wrote in message
I saw a video some time back that was 3 or 4 WWII fighters skimming their
wheels along some glassy smooth water at about 300 knots in formation. I've
looked all over but can't find it anywhere.

Any help greatly appreciated.

mike

This would be The Flying Lions T6 Team from South Africa. I have a friend in
the South African Air Force (Gen Des Barker) who knows one of the pilots
(Scully Levin) quite well.
Des had great sport sending out messages to all of his friends asking if we
thought the stunt was real.
I'll tell you one thing about the stunt. You don't want to have a brake
failure or have the engine cough while you're doing it . THAT could get
expensive!!:-))
Dudley Henriques

Old May 15th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Dudley Henriques wrote:

I'll tell you one thing about the stunt. You don't want to have a brake
failure

The cub guys do this all the time. It is irrelevant if the wheels are
turning or not, some will, some won't. Depends on the size of the tire.

Old May 15th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Dudley Henriques wrote:

I'll tell you one thing about the stunt. You don't want to have a brake
failure

The cub guys do this all the time. It is irrelevant if the wheels are
turning or not, some will, some won't. Depends on the size of the tire.

I told Des I wouldn't do this on a bet. If the engine even sputters and that
tire digs in, it's all over but the shouting. But I agree with you that this
stunt is old hat really. The bush guys are familiar with it and as you say,
there are pilots doing it now and have done it before.
I just wouldn't have been one of them. :-)
Dudley Henriques

Old May 15th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Dudley Henriques wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Dudley Henriques wrote:

I'll tell you one thing about the stunt. You don't want to have a brake
failure

The cub guys do this all the time. It is irrelevant if the wheels are
turning or not, some will, some won't. Depends on the size of the tire.

I told Des I wouldn't do this on a bet. If the engine even sputters and that
tire digs in, it's all over but the shouting. But I agree with you that this
stunt is old hat really. The bush guys are familiar with it and as you say,
there are pilots doing it now and have done it before.
I just wouldn't have been one of them. :-)

Y ou just have to find the speed that your plane needs to stay above on
plane. In my friends cub he needs about 35 mph groundspeed. Anything
above that and it's like landing on pavement. Nothing happens until
plane slows below the necessary speed, it may or may not flip over, but
it will stop prety quick. You cannot dig in a tire, it either
hydroplanes or it doesn't.

Old May 15th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

You cannot dig in a tire, it either hydroplanes or it doesn't.

No problem if the aircraft is stabilized, but if the engine even coughs, all
the powers in heaven wouldn't keep a T6 planed on the wheels.
Bottom line is that this is a great stunt, IF everything runs perfectly up
front while the bird is planed on the tires. But the risk as far as I would
be concerned anyway, far exceeds the gain. No matter how you cut this one
down to size and analyze it out, it's a damn risky stunt that has you
putting all your eggs on the razor edge of a crash, and if you DID put a T6
in the water with the gear down at the speed necessary to plane the
airplane, you would be in for one serious hurt :-)
Dudley Henriques

Almost mid-air video Flyingmonk Piloting 34 May 16th 06 02:55 PM
Video of RC F-14 Yeff Naval Aviation 3 April 19th 05 04:30 AM
VIDEO: Frecce Tricolore collides over Ramstein - a new head on video Montblack Piloting 1 February 12th 05 04:03 AM
next Video... David O'Brien Soaring 0 January 4th 05 10:20 PM
SR-71 Video Dave Jones Military Aviation 0 November 10th 03 08:00 PM