pocket nav display question...

Old February 13th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default pocket nav display question...

I just fired up a compaq aero 1550 and loaded my ancient (but good for
gold and diamond goal in my 37 year old schweizer!) copy of pocket-nav
starter edition from my flash card...

On the bottom of the display, where I would normally be able to see the
wind direction/speed info is a black bar witht the words"pocket nav" on
the left and a small icon of a keyboard on the right.

I had this same issue a few years ago on a different aero, and Mark
Navarre knew the cure. I don't remember it...

Can someone kindly tell me what to do to make the annoying bar "go
away" so I can navigate?

Thank you in advance!

John Roe "ZuluRomeo"
www.roenation.com

Old February 14th 06, 09:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Paul!

I might just do the upgrade soon- if i can figure out how to make what
I have now work right :-)

....however, i (had) have tried following your advice on the pd file
about loading and reloading pocket-nav, and unfortunately the pesky
black bar and log remains in the way regardless!

Thanks!

john roe
www.roenation.com

Old February 14th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi John,

Another thought... On the 1520 and 1530 Compaq Aero units, it was possible
to have the menu bar "auto-hide". You can enable it by going to Start
Menu/Settings/Taskbar and check the "Auto hide" checkbox.

If the tips I gave don't work to hide the menu bar then you are probably
running the wrong version on your PDA. There were different compilations
for different versions of WinCE. If you have the wrong one installed then
the menu bar will never go away.

Let me know if neither of those tips help.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

oups.com...

Old February 14th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul Remde wrote:
Hi John,

As the Glide Navigator II dealer I'd say "buy Glide Navigator II" but that
is not the problem.

Is GNII still an active product? I have not seen a new release in
ages.

Andy (GY)

Old February 14th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

Chip hasn't made any major changes in the last year, but is planning a few
minor changes to support US Contest rules changes in time for the Seniors
contest. There are no major changes planned at this time.

It is still an extremely popular product that works well. I sell many
copies of it every week. Customers who like it seem to like how simple it
is to use and the large text and large buttons that make it easy to use in
flight.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old February 17th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

Chip hasn't made any major changes in the last year, but is planning a few
minor changes to support US Contest rules changes in time for the Seniors
contest. There are no major changes planned at this time.

Is updating the software so it uses wind in the TAT completion estimate
considered a major or minor change? I find it very unsatisfactory that
on a simple out and return TAT that GNII assumes the average speed on
the return leg will be the same as the average speed on the out leg.
The solution is nonsense if there is a significant head or tail wind.

Andy (GY)

Old February 17th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You are right on. I found on a top shelf in a closet an aero 1550 that
I loaded up my version of pocket nav. I had never used this particular
unit, and when I loaded the same pocket-nav program into a 1520 and a
1530 it worked fine, no bar at the bottom. However I have another 1550
that Mark DID figure out how to make work, perhaps by loading his
version of pocket nav years ago...

Oh well I have now have 4 defunct compact aeros and three working ones,
so all is good...until I upgrade my glider and/or my glider software...

thanks!

John Roe "ZR"
www.roenation.com