SUA files and COTS GPS Units

Old May 13th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

Default SUA files and COTS GPS Units

Is it possible to load a SUA file on a COTS such as a Garmin Map76 or
ETREX? If so, is there a preferred format or procedure? I've
performed some searching on RAS and Google with no success.

thanks,

Chip Fitzpatrick
Old May 13th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

I don't know about adding airspace to a garmin unit, but I used Soar
Pilot last year with my treo 650 and a bluetooth GPS. The advantage of
such a system is that you can easily load turn points, and airspace.
Additionally it is a pretty full featured Soaring computer, and best
of all it's FREE! :-)

If you don't have a palm there's always XCsoar (freeware as well) for
the windows mobile family of PDAs

Pete

Old May 13th 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On May 13, 12:00*pm, vontresc wrote:
I don't know about adding airspace to a garmin unit, but I used Soar
Pilot last year with my treo 650 and a bluetooth GPS. The advantage of
such a system is that you can easily load turn points, and airspace.
Additionally it is a pretty full featured Soaring computer, and best
of all it's FREE! :-)

If you don't have a palm there's always XCsoar (freeware as well) for
the windows mobile family of PDAs

Pete

On May 13, 10:15*am, chipsoars wrote:

Is it possible to load a SUA file on a COTS such as a Garmin Map76 or
ETREX? *If so, is there a preferred format or procedure? I've
performed some searching on RAS and Google with no success.

thanks,

Chip Fitzpatrick- Hide quoted text -

I'm familiar with the freeware PDA/Palm approaches. The reason I'm
asking is one of my soaring partners (and perhaps others now that COTS
will be useful for badges in the US after October) does not want to
buy or bother with a PDA.
Old May 13th 09, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On May 13, 9:22*am, chipsoars wrote:
[...]

Well if they want airspace displayed they will need to bother with
either a PDA or a portable aviation GPS or a ClearNav or similar.
Consumer GPS units don't know about airspace or have any practical way
to fake this.

And lets be clear about claims about COTS GPS and badges. NAC/SSA
approved GPS models will for position reporting for silver and gold
badges (but not diamonds, and not records). You will need a barograph
in conjunction with a COTS GPS to record altitude. Personally there is
no way I'd want to bother messing with a mechanical barograph - but I
know this may help some clubs out.

Darryl
Old May 13th 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On May 13, 1:01*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Darryl- Hide quoted text -

Yes, the baraograph requirement is PIA.

However, if a GPS unit can display a map with marine navigation
charts, railroads, roads and cities etc., why would it not be able
accommodate the data for an outline of Class B, C or D airspace?
Old May 13th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

On May 13, 10:15=A0am, chipsoars wrote:

Is it possible to load a SUA file on a COTS such as a Garmin Map76

or
ETREX? =A0If so, is there a preferred format or procedure? I've
performed some searching on RAS and Google with no success.

thanks,

Chip Fitzpatrick- Hide quoted text -

I'm familiar with the freeware PDA/Palm approaches. The reason I'm
asking is one of my soaring partners (and perhaps others now that COTS
will be useful for badges in the US after October) does not want to
buy or bother with a PDA.

You could try talking to Paul Crabb about Garmax (makes displayable
airspace, but won't warn you about it - for that you need an aviation
gps) contact via www.crabb.biz, or you could learn to use a chart.
Old May 13th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On May 13, 10:29*am, chipsoars wrote:
[...]

Because railway lines don't float in space at different altitudes, and
don't define an interior space that has any properties/support
labeling for that space/will cause an alarm etc. If it's not an
aviation GPS with airspace support just give up now.

Garmin is not stupid, you want that feature, they want you to buy an
aviation GPS (I love my GPSMAP 496).

Darryl

Old May 13th 09, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On May 13, 1:30*pm, Peter Wyld wrote:
[...]

gps) contact viawww.crabb.biz, or you could learn to use a chart.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, this at least demonstrates this can be accomplished although I
am looking for a product supporting the other side of the Pond.

I am confident that at some point in the last 20 years I learned to
open up a Sectional chart and look out the window. The intent is for
use as an aide for those who use these devices along with the chart
and the M1 Eyeball.
Old May 13th 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On May 13, 1:41*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

I understand that, but don't think that I would try to underfly an
outer ring on Class C as an example, but it is nice to know where the
boundary is located. A simple graphical depiction of the space limits
similar to the ring on a chart would be adequate for the purpose. My
LX7000 doesn't appear to provide much more detail nor does my PDA
program. Can't say that I bother with the alarms.

Chip F.
Old May 13th 09, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Edward

At 15:15 13 May 2009, chipsoars wrote:
Is it possible to load a SUA file on a COTS such as a Garmin Map76 or
ETREX? If so, is there a preferred format or procedure? I've
performed some searching on RAS and Google with no success.

thanks,

Chip Fitzpatrick

Have you tried one of these? -
http://www.img2gps.co.cc/
http://www.cgpsmapper.com/
http://web.abnormal.com/~avia_dbm/index.html

I'd be interested to know if they work with something as basic as an
eTrex.

Edward

COTS in SC3!? Judy Ruprecht Soaring 4 August 3rd 08 06:04 PM
Simple COTS gps toad Soaring 7 October 5th 07 06:05 PM
Successful conversion of .cai files to .igc files for OLC danlj Soaring 2 August 5th 07 02:45 PM
Old Garmin Units Newps Owning 7 April 8th 07 06:10 PM
COTS loggers - Plan B Papa3 Soaring 10 June 10th 04 05:48 PM