Beginner, Parachutes?

Old November 27th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Default Beginner, Parachutes?

toad wrote:

The clubs (that I know) don't own parachutes and most non-
owners don't either.

Most European clubs have the policy to fly strictly with chute only.
They usually own a chute for each seat of their fleet.
Old November 28th 08, 08:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer!

In message , John Smith
writes
wrote:

Depends on the club culture. Also, it's considered poor taste to be
the only occupant of an aircraft wearing a parachute so while taking
instruction you'd need

This doesn't make any sense at all. I would consider it very poor taste
if the instructor wore a chute and refused one to the student (or a
passenger), but definitely not vice versa. Actually, I would refuse to
take lessons from an instructor who was stupid enough to even consider
to fly a glider without a chute, for whatever mission.

Even if he doesn't fit in with a parachute because he's well over 6'
tall?

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net
Old November 28th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al Eddie[_3_]

At 20:41 26 November 2008, Surfer! wrote:
In message
, Andy
writes
On Nov 26, 6:54*am, Andreas Maurer wrote:
one at 400 ft (non-connected elavator during winch launch).

Wow, that's impressive! Was the glider in an uncontrolled climb when
the bale out was initiated or had the cable broken?

I heard a story about a guy with an ASW19 who realised the elevator
wasn't connected when winch launching, and what I think I heard was that

he waited until it reached the top of the climb and jumped,
successfully. The other part of the story was that he had rigged the
glider and correctly connected the tailplane and someone else took it
off for some reason and refitted it without connecting it, and that the
miscreant went on to be an AAIB investigator..

Dunno how much of this (if any) is true though!

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net

Actually, there is a strong rumour circulating that he became, and still
is, editor of a CAA Safety publication.

Don't know who started it though...

;o)
Old November 28th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al Eddie[_3_]

At 15:11 27 November 2008, Andreas Maurer wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:14:17 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

On Nov 26, 6:54*am, Andreas Maurer wrote:
one at 400 ft (non-connected elavator during winch launch).

Wow, that's impressive! Was the glider in an uncontrolled climb when
the bale out was initiated or had the cable broken?

I can only quote the reply to your posting:

--- snip ---
I heard a story about a guy with an ASW19 who realised the elevator
wasn't connected when winch launching, and what I think I heard was
that
he waited until it reached the top of the climb and jumped,
successfully.
--- snip ---

You only need to replace the term "guy" with "girl".

Bye
Andreas

No.

It was a guy.

;o)
Old November 29th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_1_]

On 28 Nov 2008 17:15:04 GMT, Al Eddie wrote:

No.

It was a guy.

Then it's a guy who got a child last year - I know her personally.

Bye
Andreas
Old November 29th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Nov 27, 2:47*pm, John Smith wrote:
Bottom line is: yes, you can bail out successfully from winch
launch height.

I was impressed by a sucessful bail out from 400ft. That's a huge
difference from doing it at the top of a typical winch launch.

So Andreas what is the full story? Did she realize she had a problem
at the start of the launch and decide to get out at 400ft and then
actually depart the aircraft at top of launch, or did she really get
out at 400ft?

Andy

Old November 29th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 14:45:22 +0100, Andreas Maurer wrote:

On 28 Nov 2008 17:15:04 GMT, Al Eddie wrote:

No.

It was a guy.

Then it's a guy who got a child last year - I know her personally.

Then its happened at least twice. I'd heard about it happening to a bloke
in the UK but not to a woman until you told the story.

The UK case, as I heard it told, involved the pilot rigging and doing
positives before going into the club house for something. While he was
away somebody else showed a student how to remove and fit the tailplane
but put it back wrong. He also must have failed to do a positive or tell
the pilot that he'd interfered with the glider.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 29th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

I heard the same story as Martin G. I have also been to a UK gliding club
where it is now a requirement to do a second PCC at the launchpoint, in
addition to having done one when first rigging. I wondered if it was the
same club where the UK event happened?

I also wonder if the person who removed and replaced the tailplane
incorrectly is the same one that Al Eddie referred to?

Chris N.

Old November 29th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_3_]

At 01:30 26 November 2008, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 07:52 25 November 2008, Surfer! wrote:

At my club they get a short parachute talk beforehand, and there is at
least one person whose life was saved on his first flight by the
parachute, when the K21 got hit by lightening. Think that was near
Dunstable but don't hold me to it.

You are correct and in the report the investigators suggest that the
wearing of a parachute on composite structure gliders is a good idea as
they have little or no protection against strikes. The AAIB report makes
interesting reading and can be found here.
http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...pdf_500699.pdf

It should also be said that the "student" was a fully qualified
parachutist.
Old November 30th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_1_]

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 06:57:11 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I was impressed by a sucessful bail out from 400ft. That's a huge
difference from doing it at the top of a typical winch launch.

So Andreas what is the full story? Did she realize she had a problem
at the start of the launch and decide to get out at 400ft and then
actually depart the aircraft at top of launch, or did she really get
out at 400ft?

She realized immediately after takeoff that her elevator wasn't
connected, and the ASW-19 was relcutant to enter a steady climb - it
climbed in a wavelike motion. So she stayed in the glider until she
felt that it had reached its maximum altitude, and bailed out at the
moment the glider was flying horizontally.

Bye
Andreas

Beginner 4CH Electric RC Helicopter - Easy to fly NYPT Man Home Built 0 October 16th 05 08:31 AM
Beginner 4CH Electric RC Helicopter NYPT Man Rotorcraft 0 October 9th 05 06:43 PM
Another beginner Q Ramapriya Piloting 9 December 31st 04 05:19 PM
suggestion for beginner sunbearpcs Owning 5 January 21st 04 04:35 PM
ASW 24 WL for beginner ? Harry Soaring 37 July 26th 03 02:02 PM