COMPARE THIS ULTIMATE PANEL

Old September 14th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default COMPARE THIS ULTIMATE PANEL

Nyal Williams wrote:
One trick is to cut off the parts of the map you don't intend to use.
This gets it down to a reasonable size with one or two folds at most. You
can put the legend in the side pocket in case you need it and in case you
might be charged with not having a current sectional (expriation date
printed right there.)

I have the opposite problem: one map doesn't have all the places I might
go to, so I have to carry four maps. It used to be ugly in the cockpit
when I was flying near the SE corner of the Seattle sectional! Another
advantage of a moving map display.

I do enjoy poring over sectionals at home, but not in the cockpit.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old September 14th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On Sep 13, 12:32 am, Guy Byars wrote:
The panel in my glider is the ultimate in sunlight readability, low
power consumption, ease of use, low maintenance, low clutter and low
cost.

http://www.gfbyars.com/SGU1-20/final/P1010425.JPG

If you want to see terrain features, look out the window. If you want
to know where you are, look at your map. If you want to know how far
you are from the turnpoint, put your ruler on the map and measure.

The lower the glider performance, the slower the situation changes, and
the less you need to navigate. The less you need navigate, the less you
need to refer to your map.

The lower the glider performance, the shorter the distance you have to
measure on the map. A 6" ruler (40 NM) is plenty long enough for you,
but often, my intended airport is much farther away than that, so I'd be
trying to use a 12" ruler.

A paper map in a big, slow cockpit is quite adequate, but it's a serious
distraction in the typical high performance glider.

Not that there is anything wrong with a big, slow cockpit...

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old September 14th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Sep 14, 1:16*pm, Guy Byars wrote:
I just turn my "Devices" on at the beginning of the flight and off
when I land.
They provide information as I fly, moving map, Airspace, landable
points within glide range, at a glance, but require no interaction.

Then you are in the minority.

I think the most dangerous time during a soaring contest is when the
CD changes the task after all the pilots have launched. *I can imagine
every pilot in the contest flying blindly with his head down, and eyes
glued to a computer as he scrolls and pokes the screen trying to enter
the new task.

Moving map flight computers are one of the most important instruments
for flying XC in a high performance ship in the Great Basin,
especially if you are a serious XC pilot who would like to fly further
from home over new territory. The sectionals stay folded in the glider
pocket all year long, completely useless. And if my PDA malfunction, I
have a moving map sectional on my iphone. Pricelss.
And much less time is spent looking on a PDA then messing up with a
sectional in the cockpit.

Guy, none of your suggestions will work were I fly. But I agree that
flight computers took away the challenge of navigation, so we can
spend more brain power on finding lift.

Ramy
Old September 14th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott[_2_]

I fly with all the gadgets. I do the setup at home and also only need to
turn them on at the before the flight and off afterwards. I use SYM and
have the screens set. The only fiddling I do in flight is to switch between
the 4 screens a simply button push and possibly select a new destination. I
don't fly competetion so I don't care about the CD chaning tasks.

I do carry sectionals as a backup. I used Glideplan and download my
sectionals from the site. I print out the legend on an 8.5x11 sheet so I am
legal. I also print out the contact information for all of the "areas" on
the sectional so I have that with me as well. I then select the section of
the sectional I want. I plot any task I want along with the distance
circles. I then have Glideplane paginate the desired area with 10% page
overall, page pointers so I know which page is to the right.left/above/below
the one I'm looking at. I generally print the sectionals at a 150% scaling
factor. I now have a set of 8.5x11 pages.

I go to Office Depot and buy what is called a "Presentaion Book". This is a
set of bound clear plastic pockets into which you can insert the 8.5x11
sheets you printed from Glide Plan. They come with varying numbers of
pages. I usually get the higher page count ones and then after removing the
cover (hard plastic which keeps the pages from being folded over/behind each
other) I cut the pages down the spine which yields 2 sets of bound pockets.
I insert 2 pages in each pocket, back to back. I have differnet books for
different airports or tasks. I stick them along my left thigh, just in
case. I can then pull them out, turn to the appropriate page and look at
the map. I only have to deal with 8.5x11 in the cockpit; nothing gets out of
hand; no refolding.

After an out landing this summer where I couldn't find the airport I was
looking for, I've taken to using Google earth to locate the airports and
print out the overhead pictures of the airport. I arrange these 4 to a page
using some drawing software. These go into a pocket with the appropriate
maps. Now I can see what the airport and surrounding area should look like
then look out the window until I see something similar.

John

Old September 15th 09, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Then you are in the minority.

Probably has a high correlation with the age (and occupation) of the
pilot in question. I'm not a youngster, but have been around hi-tech
cockpits a long time and love them. Kids grow up with the damn things
and have no problem with them. But some of the "more mature" aviators
out there tend to have some issues with the fancy toys....those are
the gliders I try to avoid in a crowded thermal!

I think the most dangerous time during a soaring contest is when the
CD changes the task after all the pilots have launched. *I can imagine
every pilot in the contest flying blindly with his head down, and eyes
glued to a computer as he scrolls and pokes the screen trying to enter
the new task.

On this point I absolutely agree with you - changing tasks after the
launch is incredibly dangerous! Even with pre-announced backup tasks,
setting up some systems during the prestart milling (usually on a weak
day, otherwise why change the task?) takes a lot of heads down time in
crowded airspace. But I bet it was just as bad in the days of charts,
grease pencils, compass headings, and photo books!

Cheers,

Kirk
66
Old September 15th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_2_]

On Sep 14, 6:08*pm, Ramy wrote:

Guy, none of your suggestions will work were I fly.

Actually, I wasn't making any serious suggestions. I was just poking
some fun at the big screen flight instrurment manufacturers. I was
also poking fun at the techophiles who treat a soaring flight as an
excuse to play with their computers and gadgets, and not the beautiful
and relaxing experience it should be.

Guy Byars
Old September 15th 09, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Sep 14, 6:22*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

In flight task changes do seem extraordinarily dangerous.

Despite the anti-tech sentiments, this could be an application for
long range WiFi. It seems the latest incarnations of the 802.11n
standards allow ranges in excess of 5 miles.

Imagine glide computers which could be updated in flight from the
ground by the CD to enter a new task in everyone's computer
simultaneously and then automatically poll them to assure accuracy.

The pilots wouldn't have to do anything except fly the new task.
Old September 15th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert Kilian

On Sep 12, 11:32*pm, Guy Byars wrote:
The panel in my glider is the ultimate in sunlight readability, low
power consumption, ease of use, low maintenance, low clutter and low
cost.

http://www.gfbyars.com/SGU1-20/final/P1010425.JPG

If you want to see terrain features, look out the window. *If you want
to know where you are, look at your map. *If you want to know how far
you are from the turnpoint, put your ruler on the map and measure.

If you want to mess with computers, USB input devices and VGA
displays, why not just stay at the office.

Guy Byars

Guy
Didn't know your worldview includes that of a Maschinenstuermer! When
are we going to hear from you about the dangers of mechanical looms
and steam engines?!
Herb, J7
Old September 15th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 15, 1:59*pm, Herbert Kilian wrote:
On Sep 12, 11:32*pm, Guy Byars wrote:

The panel in my glider is the ultimate in sunlight readability, low
power consumption, ease of use, low maintenance, low clutter and low
cost.

http://www.gfbyars.com/SGU1-20/final/P1010425.JPG

If you want to see terrain features, look out the window. *If you want
to know where you are, look at your map. *If you want to know how far
you are from the turnpoint, put your ruler on the map and measure.

If you want to mess with computers, USB input devices and VGA
displays, why not just stay at the office.

Guy Byars

Guy
Didn't know your worldview includes that of a Maschinenstuermer! *When
are we going to hear from you about the dangers of mechanical looms
and steam engines?!
Herb, J7

GFB has a very good point.
Earlier this year I had a pretty much complete electrical system
failure on course. After switching to backup logger battery to keep
flight alive, I flew the rest of the flight the old fashioned way. A
while later, something seemed really strange. I realized how pleasant
the flight was when I wasn't paying attention to radios, vario
nagging, and all that other stuff. I was just flying the glider and
enjoying the sky.
What a concept!
UH
Old September 15th 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

GFB has a very good point.
Earlier this year I had a pretty much complete electrical system
failure on course. After switching to backup logger battery to keep
flight alive, I flew the rest of the flight the old fashioned way. A
while later, something seemed really strange. I realized how pleasant
the flight was when I wasn't paying attention to radios, vario
nagging, and all that other stuff. I was just flying the glider and
enjoying the sky.
What a concept!
UH- Hide quoted text -

UH, where did you end up on the score sheet that day?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina
Always with folded chart at hand in cockpit

Ultimate Cirrus toy Kingfish Piloting 8 July 13th 07 12:25 AM
Ultimate Aircraft niceguy Aviation Photos 0 June 24th 07 01:37 PM
Ultimate Aircraft niceguy Aviation Photos 0 June 9th 07 01:02 PM
How to compare/valuation of features Douglas Paterson Owning 10 January 28th 07 10:14 PM