PowerFLARM, LX7007 Pro IGC and a PDA ... how to ...

Old March 10th 13, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2NO

Default PowerFLARM, LX7007 Pro IGC and a PDA ... how to ...

I'm finally getting around to installing my PowerFLARM (brick) and I need some help getting pointed in the right direction.

I have an LX7007 Pro IGC, but my unit does *not* have the RJ45 receptacle on the back where it says "FLARM".

I have an HP4700x PDA that I plan to replace with an Oudie soon.

So my question boils down to, is it possible to connect the PF to the LX7007 (using some means other than its RJ45 connector), so that a PDA connected to the LX7007 is also receiving PF data?

I was planning to have my Oudie connected to my LX7007 so that it receives its pressure data sentences, which I'll lose if I connect the Oudie to the PF instead.

I'm suspecting that my best option is a completely independent PF installation, in which case it would be a shame to lose PF warning/tracking/alert data on the moving maps.

Advance thanks,

2NO
Old March 10th 13, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My PF Core provides GPS data, Flarm data and (cockpit) pressure data to an IPAQ310 running LK8000.
The Flarm targets show up on the LK8000 moving map.
LK8000 also has some other features to display Flarm traffic on custom screens.
Old March 11th 13, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Ted,

I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that the LX7007 Pro IGC can receive FLARM
data on the PC serial port. I recommend asking LX Navigation about it.

I know for a fact the LXNAV LX8000 and LX9000 products can received FLARM
data on the PC serial port. I have tested it.

You could have the Brick send data to the LX7007 on one of the serial ports
and to the Oudie on the other serial port.

I don't think it's possible to have the LX7007 both receive FLARM data and
output vario and other data for the Oudie.

I think the best approach may be to use a K6 Mux to receive both LX7007 data
and FLARM data and send it all to the Oudie. That is what I would do. I
can help you with the cables and K6 Mux is you go this route.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
____________________________________

Old March 11th 13, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Corrigan[_2_]

Hi Ted,

I have a LX7007 Pro IGC and Power Flarm (PF) Brick. About 9 months ago I
investigated the question you are asking.

The short answer to your question about integrating the LX7007 with PF is:
No it can't be done.

Working through my local LX dealer, which is Dave Springford at Fox One, a
message was sent to the factory about this issue.

It is true your LX7007 can be integrated with FLARM. However, Power FLARM
is different because of the ADS-B. (I'm going from memory of 9 months ago).

The LX8000 & LX9000 are radically different units that handle PF. I'm
guessing LX is focusing their efforts on new equipment and not upgrading
the capabilites of old equipment.

In my case, I installed a small Butter Fly display to view the PF data.

Andrew

Old March 11th 13, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2NO

Thank you Andrew, this answer is very helpful.

I think Paul's solution is going to be best in the long run: a K9 thingie to multiplex the LX7007's and PF's data onto the Oudie.

My understanding is that can be done on the PF's DB9 connector, so the butterfly display can also still be used ...

2NO
Old March 11th 13, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
StaPo

Second solution could be to use some PNA with 2 independent serial inputs (e.g. Vertica V2) and software which could handle it (LK8000 ?)
But anyway this variant should have to be tested...
Old March 12th 13, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 11, 2013 12:21:29 PM UTC-6, 2NO wrote:

My understanding is that can be done on the PF's DB9 connector, so the butterfly display can also still be used ...

Your idea is a good one but here is a suggestion if you are using a separate display anyways. The LXNav Flarmview will use the RG45 port on the PF and it has a few advantages over the Butterfly display, such as better audio. I have not flown with the display yet but just from playing with it in the hangar and watching planes go by in the pattern it works as well if not better than the Butterfly (Flew with that one all last season). Good luck.
Old March 22nd 14, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Silent

On Tuesday, 12 March 2013 04:07:22 UTC+1, K wrote:
On Monday, March 11, 2013 12:21:29 PM UTC-6, 2NO wrote:

My understanding is that can be done on the PF's DB9 connector, so the butterfly display can also still be used ...

Your idea is a good one but here is a suggestion if you are using a separate display anyways. The LXNav Flarmview will use the RG45 port on the PF and it has a few advantages over the Butterfly display, such as better audio.. I have not flown with the display yet but just from playing with it in the hangar and watching planes go by in the pattern it works as well if not better than the Butterfly (Flew with that one all last season). Good luck.

Hi - I have just completed an installation of a Power Flarm Core. It is connected to an LX Flarm Color Display via the DB9 connector (for easier wiring) and to an LX7007 Basic via the RG45 port (just the RS232 Tx & Rx lines). After configuration - protocol 4 seems to work OK and sending both GPS and Traffic Data, FLARM data appears on the LX7007 FLARM Radar. I also have a Vertica 2 running LK8000 that is connected to the LX7007 in order to get the Baro pressure, TAS, IAS, wind and heading together with GPS from the Core.. I doubt if ADS-B and ModeC/S traffic will also be passed to the V2 - I haven't tested that yet! Not really necessary with a dedicated display, but it could be done by just feeding the RS232 Tx from the Core to the V2's 2nd port using an RS232 to TTL converter. I believe that the RS232 links only send the NEMA stream, there is no acknowledge or other stuff sent back?

Want to buy used LX7007 [email protected] Soaring 3 July 26th 13 08:27 PM
PowerFLARM Brick and PowerFLARM Remote Display Manuals Available Paul Remde Soaring 30 May 25th 12 11:58 PM
Wanted LX7000 or LX7007 Erich Soaring 1 December 24th 08 12:58 PM
Winpilot & Lx7007 DG5X Soaring 5 March 24th 06 10:59 AM
Commercial - New LX7007 Paul Remde Soaring 19 July 1st 05 05:06 PM