(USA) FlarmNet usage

Old April 27th 13, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_31_]

Default (USA) FlarmNet usage

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:00:17 PM UTC-4, John Carlyle wrote:
Thanks, Paul, that answers questions about three of the license items.

Can you shed light on the other extra cost options listed in the V2.79 release notes? Specifically, in the US, are the Audio (AUD), the Second FLARM antenna connection (RFB, and the Garmin TIS output (TIS)extra cost options?

Thanks in advance.

-John, Q3

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:31:08 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:

Hi John,

The U.S. price for PowerFLARM Core and Portable includes IGC Approval as

standard. That has been the plan from the start. In Europe it is an

option.

Engine Noise Level functionality has always been promoted as an extra cost

option in the USA.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

__________________________

"John Carlyle" wrote in message

Thanks for the "heads-up", Evan.

The release notes are very interesting. FLARM is now going to charge a fee

for (among other things):

* Engine Noise Level recording (ENL)

* IGC approval (IGC)

* Second FLARM antenna connection (RFB)

If this scheme is applicable to the US, too, then I'll be using my

Volkslogger along with PowerFLARM. At least I'll get an IGC approved flight

trace good for up to world records (OK, stop laughing) with engine noise

monitoring - for free.

-John, Q3

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:49:25 AM UTC-4, Evan Ludeman wrote:

It works and it's here (in beta) now.

http://www.powerflarm.aero/index.php...ge-and-support

I don't use or care much about flarmnet, but I do recommend the 2.79 beta

because it appears to have better pcas sensitivity and reliability and it

allows one to easily update the display to 3.1, which improves readability

significantly.

Sure wish they'd chuck those silly, useless pcas circles on the butterfly

displays in favor of digital range information (like Zaon). I've

suggested this, without reply. If you agree, or have a better idea, I'd

encourage you to make your opinion known.

Evan Ludeman / T8

John/Q3, I sent an email to (that's the email on the update page) asking the same question. The release notes clearly say only units that sold WITH the second antenna are grandfathered. When I unpacked my PF core I was surprised it only had one antenna (especially when all the range issues were being aired on RAS). I immediately purchased my second antenna from Paul last year and yet to install it.
Jim/PC
Old April 28th 13, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Saturday, April 27, 2013 3:53:54 PM UTC+2, Jim wrote:

John/Q3, I sent an email to (that's the email on the update page) asking the same question. The release notes clearly say only units that sold WITH the second antenna are grandfathered. When I unpacked my PF core I was surprised it only had one antenna (especially when all the range issues were being aired on RAS). I immediately purchased my second antenna from Paul last year and yet to install it.

Jim/PC

I'm curious also. All the documentation and propaganda about the PowerFLARM Brick (now Core) touted the fact that you had the ability to use two flarm antennas. I've installed two antennas on mine, because of the need to mount the primary way in the front of my LS6 and wanting as much coverage as possible.

But mine did not come with a second flarm antenna - I purchased it from Cumulus Soaring after taking delivery of my PFB (as one of the original Arizona group purchase).

So clarification by Flarm would be nice. I'm OK with having to pay for ENL (since I don't have an engine :^), or new data formats (Garmin TIS) that weren't advertised, but items like the IGC logger and second antenna were part of the original sales pitch, IMO.

Immediate question: Is the second flarm antenna active on my PFB? Will it be if I install 2.79 beta?

Kirk
66
Old April 28th 13, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:35:02 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:
On Saturday, April 27, 2013 3:53:54 PM UTC+2, Jim wrote: John/Q3, I sent an email to (that's the email on the update page) asking the same question. The release notes clearly say only units that sold WITH the second antenna are grandfathered. When I unpacked my PF core I was surprised it only had one antenna (especially when all the range issues were being aired on RAS). I immediately purchased my second antenna from Paul last year and yet to install it. Jim/PC I'm curious also. All the documentation and propaganda about the PowerFLARM Brick (now Core) touted the fact that you had the ability to use two flarm antennas. I've installed two antennas on mine, because of the need to mount the primary way in the front of my LS6 and wanting as much coverage as possible. But mine did not come with a second flarm antenna - I purchased it from Cumulus Soaring after taking delivery of my PFB (as one of the original Arizona group purchase). So clarification by Flarm would be nice. I'm OK with having to pay for ENL (since I don't have an engine :^), or new data formats (Garmin TIS) that weren't advertised, but items like the IGC logger and second antenna were part of the original sales pitch, IMO. Immediate question: Is the second flarm antenna active on my PFB? Will it be if I install 2.79 beta? Kirk 66

Kirk,

The Flarm B antenna port is active, but PowerFlarm does not provide two antennas.
Flarm A is transmit and receive.
Flarm B is receive only.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old April 29th 13, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_31_]

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:45:04 PM UTC-4, 2NO wrote:
I can't find any recent discussions on FlarmNet, which is plugged in the Butterfly display manual.

Are most USA PF users registering on FlarmNet.org?

How is the .bnf file installed?

Is it used by the BF display, or by the PF core?

Most importantly will it make me fly faster???

ted/2NO

But will the "B" port remain active if the core is updated with the new software? The release notes lead me to believe no...
Old April 30th 13, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Monday, April 29, 2013 1:43:06 PM UTC-7, Jim wrote:
On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:45:04 PM UTC-4, 2NO wrote: I can't find any recent discussions on FlarmNet, which is plugged in the Butterfly display manual. Are most USA PF users registering on FlarmNet.org? How is the .bnf file installed? Is it used by the BF display, or by the PF core? Most importantly will it make me fly faster??? ted/2NO But will the "B" port remain active if the core is updated with the new software? The release notes lead me to believe no...

Read the notes carefully.

Feature licencing system. The following features now require a licence
subject to a fee:
* Obstacle database updates (OBST)
* Audio (AUD)
* Engine Noise Level recording (ENL)
* IGC approval (IGC)
* Second FLARM antenna connection (RFB)
* Garmin TIS output (TIS)

Devices already sold with any of the above features have the respective
licences preinstalled.

One thing you do lose with the new updates 2.6 and above is the unlimited Flarm vertical range. It is now limited to +/- 500 meters.

Rich
Old April 30th 13, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_31_]

On Monday, April 29, 2013 9:38:21 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote:
[...]

Thanks Richard. The notes are not clear what "sold with the feature" means because the core was not sold with the second antenna feature (only the port, not the antenna). However, you are correct. I got a (presently prompt) reply from Butterfly saying the second port will not be disabled with updating softwa
"Hello, thanks for your email.

Q. If I update my firmware/software now will I not have my second antenna working?
A. The licensing system is only for new devices. Your B-Port FLARM antenna will work.

For any questions we are happy to assist you.

Best wishes,
Joachim Fetzer
Butterfly"

PF Portable and Flarmnet Andy[_1_] Soaring 0 October 5th 12 02:55 PM
FLARMnet file update Andy[_1_] Soaring 1 September 25th 12 06:59 PM
FlarmNet Brad[_2_] Soaring 6 August 26th 12 06:35 PM
Usage fee process Danny Deger Piloting 3 April 11th 07 08:27 PM
Oil usage GE Owning 14 May 20th 04 07:22 AM