SeaTac Tower: Nobody Home

Old April 19th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default SeaTac Tower: Nobody Home

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just saw a story on my local
news (in the Pacific Northwest) about an incident at SeaTac airport on April
11th, and this is the first I've heard of it.

Apparently, there was a period of about 30 minutes on that day (no mention
as to what time of day) when no incoming flights could get a response from
the tower. The security guard at the tower was eventually asked to
investigate, and it seems that the lone controller on duty had fallen
asleep. The story ended by noting that the FAA now required two controllers
on duty in the SeaTac tower at all times.

Anybody else hear of this? I'm guessing that it couldn't have been during a
busy time, as that would have caused utter chaos. I'm also guessing that
this sort of thing isn't unprecedented.

Old April 19th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
"Philip S." wrote:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just saw a story on my local
news (in the Pacific Northwest) about an incident at SeaTac airport on April
11th, and this is the first I've heard of it.

Apparently, there was a period of about 30 minutes on that day (no mention
as to what time of day) when no incoming flights could get a response from
the tower. The security guard at the tower was eventually asked to
investigate, and it seems that the lone controller on duty had fallen
asleep. The story ended by noting that the FAA now required two controllers
on duty in the SeaTac tower at all times.

Anybody else hear of this? I'm guessing that it couldn't have been during a
busy time, as that would have caused utter chaos. I'm also guessing that
this sort of thing isn't unprecedented.

Any you wonder why there's a special NASA form just for ATC?
Old April 19th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I guess he wouldn't have fallen asleep had it been busy. Surprised
he wasn't woken up when approach tried to call him on the land line.

-Robert

Old April 19th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
I guess he wouldn't have fallen asleep had it been busy. Surprised
he wasn't woken up when approach tried to call him on the land line.

Depends how deep of a sleeper he is.

I can continue sound asleep, after a good night's sleep, with an
old-fashioned bell ringer phone, on the headboard of my bed! I might wake
up if you set off an atomic bomb in the next county over! g
--
Jim in NC

Old April 19th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Philip S." wrote in message
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just saw a story on my
local
news (in the Pacific Northwest) about an incident at SeaTac airport on
April
11th, and this is the first I've heard of it.

Apparently, there was a period of about 30 minutes on that day (no mention
as to what time of day) [...]

I only saw a brief mention on the evening news last night. They said it was
in the early morning hours.

when no incoming flights could get a response from
the tower. The security guard at the tower was eventually asked to
investigate, and it seems that the lone controller on duty had fallen
asleep. The story ended by noting that the FAA now required two
controllers
on duty in the SeaTac tower at all times.

As if two different controllers couldn't fall asleep at once.

Seems to me that there should be some sort of alarm, hooked to the radio and
which goes off if some small number of radio receptions occur without any
transmission by a controller in the tower cab. You'd need to set the number
higher than 1, but fewer than a dozen would probably be fine, and would
probably have woken this guy up in this case.

Anybody else hear of this? I'm guessing that it couldn't have been during
busy time, as that would have caused utter chaos. I'm also guessing that
this sort of thing isn't unprecedented.

Hard to imagine it's the first time, but there is a first time for
everything. One hopes whether this was the first or not, it doesn't
happen often, even if it does only happen during the quiet hours of the
morning.

Pete

Old April 19th 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:
I can continue sound asleep, after a good night's sleep, with an
old-fashioned bell ringer phone, on the headboard of my bed! I might wake
up if you set off an atomic bomb in the next county over! g

Man, that's not me. I generally will wake up if a butterfly farts in the next
county.

BTW: I seem to recall a similar event at RDU back in the early 1980s.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old April 19th 06, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

Any you wonder why there's a special NASA form just for ATC?

There is?

Old April 19th 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

Seems to me that there should be some sort of alarm, hooked to the radio
and which goes off if some small number of radio receptions occur without
any transmission by a controller in the tower cab. You'd need to set the
number higher than 1, but fewer than a dozen would probably be fine, and
would probably have woken this guy up in this case.

Just increasing the volume prior to napping works well. So I'm told.

Old April 19th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/forms.htm
Old April 19th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Philip S." wrote in message

it seems that the lone controller on duty had fallen asleep.

What happens when the lone controller needs a bathroom break? Are the stalls
equipped with speakers and microphones?

--Gary

[Media] A Marine's journey home Michael Wise Military Aviation 0 May 3rd 04 04:57 AM
[Media] A Marine's journey home Michael Wise Naval Aviation 0 May 3rd 04 04:57 AM
Home Inspection Listings Patrick Glenn Home Built 4 April 26th 04 11:52 AM
New Oshkosh Tower Jay Honeck Piloting 20 November 25th 03 05:35 PM
Help - I busted into the Class B SEATAC airspace last night, does anyone have any advice ? steve mew Piloting 38 October 28th 03 06:08 PM