Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep

Old July 21st 04, 02:49 AM
Mike Schumann

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in the diesel version in the US.
What percentage of DA40s sold in Europe are diesel vs. gas?

Mike Schumann

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Dan,

In Europe, the Diesel is a total winner.

As for the other things, IMHO it really depends on the mission. I see
the DA40 showing up at more and more FBOs in the US. I can't see any
negatives comparing them to a new 172 - and a lot of positives. IMHO, a
creating a new 172/Archer makes a lot of sense, since both leave a lot
to be desired - speed among them. Even if you only think of the Star as
a 172 that's 20 knots faster, you stilll have a winner. And that
doesn't take into account how well it flies and the great visibility.

The amazing thing to me is that the SR20, similarly equipped, is just
10 or 15k more expensive. IMHO, you get a whole lot more airplane for
that money. But then, for Europe, they don't have the right engine for
the SR20 - and according to Cirrus, none is in sight, either.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 21st 04, 04:14 AM
C J Campbell

"Mike Schumann" wrote in message
nk.net...
I'm surprised there isn't more interest in the diesel version in the US.
What percentage of DA40s sold in Europe are diesel vs. gas?

I believe it is 100%.

Old July 21st 04, 04:18 AM
C J Campbell

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
Is there a means to leave the transponder on? Ground radar is being

tested at
Providence now, and is likely going to be showing up at air carrier

airports
around the country soon requires the transponder on for any movement on

the
ground.

The G-1000 has a "squitter," (Is that the right term? Someone help me out
here...) a device that replies to Mode S queries from radar while on the
ground. It can also be manually switched to Mode A or C on the ground by
pushing a single button.

Old July 21st 04, 04:22 AM
Mike Schumann

Somehow, looking at the Thiert web site, it doesn't look like they are
selling very many engines yet.

Mike Schumann

Old July 21st 04, 05:38 AM
Dude

wrote in message ...

Dude wrote:

Let me add that the bizjet guys get WHATEVER they want at these FBO's.

I am NOT kidding. If they complain about piston traffic, it will be

noted,
and something may change. Some FBO's simply give these guys whatever

they
want, Period. I have heard it from the FBO and airport managers that I

talk
to.

One comment was that the biz jet crowd did not want any "looky lou's"

around
as they came and went. This FBO leased the surrounding land to keep

other
business from being too close, as well as started to harrass one of

their
tenants, a flight school, about the foot traffic on the ramp. The

school
was locked out in an attempt to get them to leave their lease.

I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. Sure, the biz jet crowd

wants a
nice, upscale FBO. So, isn't that the American Way? Also, if the airport

has
any federal grant money in it, the fair use conditions are beyond the

control of
the airport manager.

Ya, right. Lets's see. You can't get a hangar, you can't get a tie down,
your parking area at the FBO is over Yonder, yes sir, we have avgas at $4.50
a gallon, shall we top it off for you? Yes, well since the flight school
was closed due to noise complaints, we don't sell much avgas, so we charge a
lot for the few folks left becuase the truck still costs the same. Yes sir,
the field on the other side of town does have it for half that price, I
tell everyone they should buy it there.

Fair use my ...

Don't depend on that to support you.

My home field, KCRQ, was extensive light aircraft and biz jet operations.

In
fact, it also has several commuter flights a day. It all seems to work

quite
well and has for many years.

I am happy for you, I will try to talk my wife into moving so we can join
you. Seriously, I know lots of airports just like that, but I also know
many others where the fights are just beginning to boil. I think the stakes
are higher near metro areas where land is more valuable.

I will concede that the primary noise complaints come from light aircraft

pilots
who fail to maintain altitude on downwind leg, something the biz jet

pilots
avoid doing.

You may be correct, I always thought it was the amount of time they spent
overhead. You can't hear a piston plane inside your house, but even when you
can here a jet inside, its quick. Sometimes a small plane can buzz around
for a while getting a picture or something, and even bother me.

Old July 21st 04, 05:40 AM
Dude

wrote in message ...

Not so, my closest airport just announced plans to kick almost half the

GA
tenants off the field to make the airlines happy. The cities want the
bizjets and the airlines because they see the revenue. We are just an
irritation. One local municipal has made a commitment to support

"limited"
piston GA activity because someone persuasive pointed out that a lot of

jet
owners and wealthy home owners also had prop planes. Also, the press

has
been full of majors, and the politicians they have lobbied, attacking

GA.

I separated "airlines" from "biz jets." Apparently, you don't see the
difference.

After your snipping, and your short response, I don't understand what you
are getting at here.

Old July 21st 04, 05:45 AM
Dude

Ahh, but they, Thielert, have no plans to support the engine in the US (
nor does Superior). They think the plane manufacturers should do this.
Textron is delighted, as this will mean that they can continue to control
the business that has the best chance of defeating them. Diamond has
decided to offer Lycoming engines as an alternate for the Twin Star (which
must really please Textron)

btw- It's enough horsepower for the skyhawk and cherokee planes.

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Dude,

The Centurion could, if well supported, and up to its marketing, replace
about every engine in the 140 to 180 HP range.

IMHO, the Centurion 1.7 simply is lacking the necessary power. 135 HP is
not enough. The sma design has its problems, namely weight, size and
price. But Thielert has seen the light: A V8, 300-HP version is in the
works for 2006, and a 6-cylinder around-200-HP version is at least
rumoured about.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 21st 04, 08:37 AM
Thomas Borchert

Dude,

Diamond has
decided to offer Lycoming engines as an alternate for the Twin Star (which
must really please Textron)

Diamond has been bitten before when introducing a new engine to the US
market, the Rotax. So they're careful. The US market is strongly in the grip
of what I like to call "pilot inertia", as evident here in the group. "We've
always done it that way, so we'll keep doing it that way" is strong in the
pilot community. Also, a large part of the Twin Star market in the US is the
training market - and that market simply won't accept one-lever operation,
since it doesn't train for the real world of twin ops.

btw- It's enough horsepower for the skyhawk and cherokee planes.

Well, yes, kind of, at least in the case of the Cherokee. We have a
commercial Thielert-172 operator at my home field doing sightseeing flights
and such - he absolutely LOVES it.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 21st 04, 08:37 AM
Thomas Borchert

Mike,

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in the diesel version in the US.
What percentage of DA40s sold in Europe are diesel vs. gas?

It is not offered in the US. Simple as that.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 21st 04, 08:37 AM
Thomas Borchert