Nice GA piece done by our local TV station

Old August 25th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Montblack[_1_]

Default Nice GA piece done by our local TV station

This was a very nice collection of (old and new) aviation stories that aired
this past Sunday night, at 10:35pm, after our local (Twin Cities) news.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S18288.html?cat=26
KSTP (Ch 5) Jason Davis - On The Road

(And yes, this is the local TV station with the wiggy video format. Nothing
I can do about it! Hope you can view it. I switch over to Internet Explorer
to watch this station's videos. Work for me.)

The "In The Air" collection of short stories include:

EAA (Oshkosh) Volunteer - Ron Oehler
Aircraft Restorer
Mig Jet
Model Plane War (Fun!!)
Classic Doogie Dog
Girl Pilot (Taylor is from our EAA Chapter)
Destination: Anoka Co. Airport (Museums)

Montblack
I met, and worked with 'EAA Volunteer Ron' this past weekend at the EAA
Sport Pilot Tour - Minneapolis.

Old August 26th 06, 11:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Cecil Chapman

Good stuff!

Just yesterday, there was a plane from my home field (Reid-Hillview) that
got inverted (it was an old Stearman), but pilot and passenger crawled out
from under the plane under their own power (although the plane looked a bit
worse for the wear). Anyway, I was reading the online news story from one
of our local stations - you'd think someone would check their spelling of
the aircraft involved (which they spelled "Steerman") and the airport from
which it was based, Reid-Hillview (which they spelled "Reed Hill View" -
close but no cigar... ).

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman
CFI-A, CP-ASEL-IA

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old August 26th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Cy Galley

Vintage plane crashes in Morgan Hill
By James Hohmann
Mercury News
A vintage biplane crash this afternoon in Morgan Hill left the pilot with
minor injuries and the passenger uninjured, the FAA reported.

The Boeing E-75 biplane was forced to land in an empty field at about 1:30
p.m. off Condit Road, north of Main Avenue, after flames were seen shooting
out from the right side of the engine, said Federal Aviation Administration
spokesman Ian Gregor.

Gregor said the aircraft -- which landed upside down -- sustained
substantial damage.

``We don't know the circumstances and we don't know the cause,'' he said.

A call to the National Transportation Safety Board regional office in
Gardena, Calif. was not immediately returned. An investigation will likely
begin immediately.

The FAA reported that the plane left from Reid-Hillview airport at around 1
p.m. on a ``local and return'' flight, meaning it was supposed to leave the
airport, fly around for a while and then return to where it took off.

Even though one passenger climbed out of the wreckage and the pilot appeared
to have minor injuries, Sgt. Dalia Rodriguez of the Santa Clara County
Sheriff's Department said both were being transported to local hospitals.

``The plane crashed into an empty field so there were no injuries on land,''
she said.

The plane, she said, was only about five miles from the South County Airport
of Santa Clara County in San Martin when it crashed.

Contact James Hohmann at or (408) 920-5460.

om...

Old August 26th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Cecil Chapman

Yeah, took a peek at the Mercury News this morning and everything was
correct, including listing the correct plane type. I guess the web news
when it is brand-new goes up with interns entering the last minute
information. I read it originally on the NBC11 website where all the
details were either wrong or misspelled. There are a few active pilots at
the Mercury News, so likely why they got it all right

=-----

Old August 27th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jack Allison[_1_]

Cecil Chapman wrote:
Yeah, took a peek at the Mercury News this morning and everything was
correct, including listing the correct plane type.

Except (and I doubt I'm going out on a limb here) for the "landed upside
down" part. Flipped over after landing, ok. Landing upside down?
Hmmm, I doubt it. Sounds like the typical reporter not quite knowing
what they're talking about.

Glad to hear that pilot and passenger walked away. Too bad for the plane.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old August 27th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Super Dave

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
. ..
Cecil Chapman wrote:
Yeah, took a peek at the Mercury News this morning and
everything was correct, including listing the correct
plane type.

Except (and I doubt I'm going out on a limb here) for the
"landed upside down" part. Flipped over after landing, ok.
Landing upside down? Hmmm, I doubt it. Sounds like the
typical reporter not quite knowing what they're talking about.

Glad to hear that pilot and passenger walked away. Too bad for
the plane.

The funny part is that the Mercury News used to have a pilot who was based
at RHV as the main writer for GA articles, and his wife is active in RHV
events. He was an asset for us since he would ignore/minimize in the
published articles any community opposition to RHV, and he would make things
up about RHV support. He will be missed.

Old August 27th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jack Allison[_1_]

Montblack wrote:
This was a very nice collection of (old and new) aviation stories that
aired this past Sunday night, at 10:35pm, after our local (Twin Cities)
news.

Very cool videos. If only more local TV stations had such an enthusiast
as this this guy (and they host of the video :-) )

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

What's Wrong with Economics and how can it be Fixed What's Wrong with Economics and how can it be Fixe Military Aviation 3 August 21st 04 12:40 AM
Logging local flights. Rich Owning 23 July 16th 04 12:02 AM
Local altimeter at BFM Dan Luke Instrument Flight Rules 3 June 15th 04 02:01 PM
Xprize and tethered space station Ray Toews Home Built 18 December 16th 03 06:52 PM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM