Garmin remote antennas

Old December 17th 05, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Garmin remote antennas

Hi All!

There are some interesting threads in some other pilot groups about
these antennas...

Apparently, (I do not have one) garmin has a MAGNET in the base of the
antenna (for holding it in place in a vehicle) that they ship with the
396.. (!)

Slight issue with mounting it with velcro on top of your panel.

Some guys are trying to get the magnets out of the base for obvious
reasons, and Garmin dosen't seem to think there is a problem..

YMMV...

Just a heads up...

Dave

Old December 17th 05, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

You are correct, there is a magnet in the antenna. I was able to move
my antenna location far enough away that it does not change the compass
but I wish garmin had left it out. I was going to remove the magnet
from the antenna but after removing the obvious screws, it did not look
easy to remove. I did not want to void the warranty so I stopped.
After the warranty is expired I will remove the magnet.

Old December 18th 05, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:55:21 -0400, Dave
wrote:

Hi All!

There are some interesting threads in some other pilot groups about
these antennas...

Apparently, (I do not have one) garmin has a MAGNET in the base of the
antenna (for holding it in place in a vehicle) that they ship with the
396.. (!)

Slight issue with mounting it with velcro on top of your panel.

Some guys are trying to get the magnets out of the base for obvious
reasons, and Garmin dosen't seem to think there is a problem..

YMMV...

Just a heads up...

I have a Garmin GPS10, which is a bluetooth GPS receiver with
integrated antenna. It also has an integrated antenna. I fly a
PA28-180, and it is noticeable if I place the GPS10 within about 18"
of the compass. However, the compass works fine if I place the GPS10
by the starboard side of the windscreen.

Garmin makes great products, but good luck getting through to them. I
had a GPS10 that got fried, I emailed asking how to get it fixed, and
got the standard, 'were very busy, our response will be delayed'. I
never heard back from them after that. Of course, I'm the real
sucker. I bought another one to replace the broken one.

-Nathan
Old December 18th 05, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
Nathan Young wrote:
Garmin makes great products, but good luck getting through to them. I
had a GPS10 that got fried, I emailed asking how to get it fixed, and
got the standard, 'were very busy, our response will be delayed'. I
never heard back from them after that. Of course, I'm the real
sucker. I bought another one to replace the broken one.

I've had no problem reaching Garmin on the phone. Most companies do not
do well with email responses in my experience.

The GPS10 is a great unit, and I suspect you'd have a difficult time
finding a better sensor from another source.

JKG

Garmin remote antenna Dave Piloting 3 December 18th 05 12:58 PM
Amateur Review of the Garmin GPSMAP 296 GPS Rhett Piloting 10 March 23rd 05 02:16 AM
Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM
Amateur Review of the Garmin GPSMAP 296 GPS Rhett Products 10 April 29th 04 06:57 AM
Garmin Emap Handheld GPS w/ Remote Antenna AND Data Transfer Cable Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 October 1st 03 02:06 AM