Retrofitting Roeger Hook

Old September 20th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden

Default Retrofitting Roeger Hook

Has anyone installed a Roeger hook or similar device (DG offers a
spring-loaded pin that is supposed to accomplish the same thing for
older DG and LS gliders) on an older glider? The recent thread on
helmets made reference to the known danger of the canopy hitting the
pilot in the head in the event of jettisoning a front-hinged canopy in
order to bail out. The Roeger hook is designed to prevent this by
fixing the rear of the canopy so it becomes a pivot point about which
the canopy lifts off and up over the pilot in the slipstream.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA

Old September 20th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Hi Chip,
Yes, I have installed the Roeger hook on a DG-300. Rather simple
device where a post on the canopy, captures a spring on the fuselage
side and keeps the rear of the canopy in place until the forward end
is up and away. Genesis has a fiberglass sleve that goes forward and
up around the rear canopy rail to do the same job, although I'm not
all that clear on just how it works. I do believe these type devices
are a good thing, I know of a bail-out from an LS-3a where the canopy
somehow rotated 90 degrees and momentarily trapped the pilots arm
against the wing. After it (the canopy) departed, the pilot released
the seat belt and while checking for the D ring, accidently pulled it
and was extracted from the seat by the deploying chute. Landed without
a scratch, some people just live right.
JJ

Old September 20th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Chip Bearden wrote:
Has anyone installed a Roeger hook or similar device (DG offers a
spring-loaded pin that is supposed to accomplish the same thing for
older DG and LS gliders) on an older glider? The recent thread on
helmets made reference to the known danger of the canopy hitting the
pilot in the head in the event of jettisoning a front-hinged canopy in
order to bail out. The Roeger hook is designed to prevent this by
fixing the rear of the canopy so it becomes a pivot point about which
the canopy lifts off and up over the pilot in the slipstream.

I had one installed on my ASH 26 E about 9 years ago when the retrofit
became available from Schleicher. Perhaps they have a kit for the ASW
24, though I'll bet the ASH 26 kit can be installed if a kit isn't
available. It's a simple peg on the canopy and a couple spring thingies
on the fuselage. There may be paperwork issues to doing that, of course.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

retrofitting an autopilot anonymous Owning 10 November 29th 05 02:17 AM
CG Hook for SGS 2-33 Rusty Soaring 0 November 23rd 05 12:15 PM
Tow Hook 337 for a 150-150 1JH Soaring 3 July 19th 05 06:35 PM
Automatic Parachutes & Retrofitting John DeRosa Sky Soaring Chicago IL Soaring 2 May 8th 04 05:33 AM
CG hook & Low Tow Ray Lovinggood Soaring 2 July 25th 03 06:20 AM