Cable break recovery spin entry... as previously discussed

Old July 2nd 05, 04:03 PM
Edward Lockhart

At 05:18 02 July 2005, Soarski wrote:

If I would want to land downwind on the runway I was
taking off
I could be inclined to just kick in full rudder, and
make the 180 Turn
via a 'Hammerhead' I think it is called a 'Kehre' in
German, or a
'Turn? There would be mostly rudder work required,
some back preasure
on coming out of a dive following the wingover, which
is really half a
spin. Has anyone ever seen that done? Actually, come
to think of it, I
have, in an airshow, a long time ago in a clipped wing
Cub.

I will have to try at altitude, what will need more
altitude to
recover.

DB

So you're talking about some sort of stall turn at
low speed off a 45 degree upline. I think the speed
would be too slow to get any significant yaw. At slow
speed, high AoA you'll get a lot of roll with some
nose drop, almost a low energy flick/snap roll to a
very steep (inverted?) downline.

If you're high enough, you can recover.

The steep climb rate of a winch launch means that you
will then be passing the launch point at low level,
heading downwind at high speed through any landing
traffic, needing to do a smart 180 to land back on
the airfield; not really possible in a K13.

This all sounds like a lot of fun but I'm not sure
we should be teaching it to pre-solo pilots

Pushing over forward very hard after cable break, you
could get into a
negative flight regime, possibly into an inverted spin?

With the typical soaring/training aerofoils used, and
at low speed, that would need an incredibly rapid push.
Even then, so long as the pilot keeps the rudder centralised,
there's no chance of an inverted spin.

Winch techniques have evolved over decades with safety
as the first priority. There's nothing wrong with a
bit of imagination but Soarski, that's a bit too much.

Ed

Old July 2nd 05, 09:11 PM
F.L. Whiteley

Edward Lockhart wrote:

[...]

Speaking of over the top.

Slingby Swallow takes winch launch to 1100agl.
Rolls inverted.
Dives out.
Loops.
Chandelles.
Lands.

You had to be there.

Frank
Old July 2nd 05, 10:12 PM
Don Johnstone

At 20:30 02 July 2005, F.L. Whiteley wrote:
Speaking of over the top.

Slingby Swallow takes winch launch to 1100agl.
Rolls inverted.
Dives out.
Loops.
Chandelles.
Lands.

You had to be there.

Frank

Pilot by the name of Doug Ross, No 2 GC UK? Before
they put the elevator stops on to prevent you doing
it. Spoilsports.

Old July 2nd 05, 11:54 PM
Capt. Geoffry Thorpe

"soarski" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have never been in that predicament. Never seen a cable break
or lost power at below 200 ft or the tow rope on aero tow.

Been lucky so far?

I do have 1000s of hours and acro time.

If I would want to land downwind on the runway I was taking off
I could be inclined to just kick in full rudder, and make the 180 Turn
via a "Hammerhead" I think it is called a "Kehre" in German, or a
"Turn? There would be mostly rudder work required, some back preasure
on coming out of a dive following the wingover, which is really half a
spin. Has anyone ever seen that done? Actually, come to think of it, I
have, in an airshow, a long time ago in a clipped wing Cub.

D00d. A hammerhead works on a verticle up / down line at zero G. Coming of a
cable break you are still only at about 30-40 degrees nose up. Do you think
you would have enough speed to make it to a verticle up? I doubt it, usually
the entry speed for a hammerhead is fairly high, right? If you try to do a
hammerhead on a, say 45 degree up, I'm not sure how /if it could work - I've
never seen it done, I assume there is a reason. You would have to keep
pushing to stay at 0 G I think. I guess it could be entertaining to try if
you have some altitude under your butt.

You could attempt a kinda chandelle like turn, but you are starting out nose
high, low speed, and straight ahead. It would take a lot of forward stick to
keep the G loading below 1 throughout the manouver I would think. Buy the
time you get turned around, you would likely end up pointing way down. eh?

I will have to try at altitude, what will need more altitude to
recover.

That sounds like a good idea. Don't forget the 'chute.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old July 3rd 05, 05:52 AM
F.L. Whiteley

Don Johnstone wrote:

At 20:30 02 July 2005, F.L. Whiteley wrote:
Speaking of over the top.

Slingby Swallow takes winch launch to 1100agl.
Rolls inverted.
Dives out.
Loops.
Chandelles.
Lands.

You had to be there.

Frank

Pilot by the name of Doug Ross, No 2 GC UK? Before
they put the elevator stops on to prevent you doing
it. Spoilsports.

No, the inimitable Mick Boyden.

The tricky bit is that twist is such that all the flying load is on the tips
while inverted. Gotta hope for good glue and no bumps.
Old July 3rd 05, 06:02 AM
soarski

Ahhh, stepped into a hornet's nest here? The thought came to me after
seeing the rather lengthy
tales in the beginning of this thread. I am against yanking the stick
forward and then back, hard or fully. So the thought of mostly rudder
work, like entering or coming out of a spin or half a spin came to me.
Naturally one would not teach that, but on the other hand, some of you
might have a "Hammerhead " demonstrated to you, or take some Acro
instruction? Edward aparently understood what I was thinking. He is
right, one would come out of that half spin recovery too fast which
would not work on a tight airfield.

What Frank saw after the loop and before the landing with that Swallow
might have been a hammerhead rather than a Chandelle, which would have
taken too long. Spin entry is faster. Of course, the Swallow is a very
light aircraft and can do those manouvers much slower than the glass
slippers.

In the late 50s a former Luftwaffe Pilot named Karlie Marsen did Acro
work out of a winch launch regularly at Flugplatzfests same what Frank
saw,.. in a Lo 100.......He was a skier too!

Soarski

Old July 3rd 05, 08:28 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
"Capt. Geoffry Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote:

You could attempt a kinda chandelle like turn, but you are starting out nose
high, low speed, and straight ahead. It would take a lot of forward stick to
keep the G loading below 1 throughout the manouver I would think.

This doesn't make sense. The G loading will stay appropriate to your
current speed at all times as long as the stick is anywhere except hard
back. Above 1, below 1, doesn't matter. Angle of attack is what
matters, and the AoA is fine as long as the stick is somewhere near the
middle. Right forward is completely unnecessary.

I don't think I'd try a chandelle from that position, but the limiting
factor would be roll rate and getting in sufficient bank to be useful
before you ran out of speed. Slow over the top banked 90 degrees and
pulling half a G aroudn the corner would be useful in getting turned
around, if you kept the string straight and the stick back not too far.
Slow over the top and banked 30 degrees would do you very little good
(though I don't think it would hurt).

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-