replacement gas strut for wing wheel

Old April 26th 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_12_]

Default replacement gas strut for wing wheel

I have a wing wheel with a German gas strut that I suspect needs to be
replaced. On the side of the strut is printed

G8 1 80 1 265 AU19 AU19 250N /5/

The nominal uncompressed length is about 11" (28cm) with about
3" (7.5cm) strut showing. Strut diameter is about 5/16" (7-8mm), and
the outside cylinder diameter is about 3/4" (19-20mm).

I would appreciate any input on specs/sources for a replacement strut.

TIA

Frank (TA)
Old April 26th 10, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

I have a wing wheel with a German gas strut that I suspect needs to be
replaced. *On the side of the strut is printed

G8 1 80 1 265 AU19 AU19 250N /5/

The nominal uncompressed length is about 11" (28cm) with about
3" (7.5cm) strut showing. *Strut diameter is about 5/16" (7-8mm), and
the outside cylinder diameter is about 3/4" (19-20mm).

I would appreciate any input on specs/sources for a replacement strut.

I dont know your exact make and model, but I can decipher most of the
info in the serial number, which should make it easy to buy an
equivalent.

G8 =? (prolly determines end termination style-
eyelets, yolks, etc, you know what you need here)
1 80 1 =80mm stroke
265 =265mm uncompressed length (measured center to center
on the eyes)
AU19 AU19 = body is 19mm diameter (standard dia, not sure why appears
twice though...)
250N = 250 newton force (roughly 50lbs...)
/5/ =? (possibly the bolt/clevis diameter for the
eyelets, possibly the number assigned to its compressive non-
linearity)

This should be enough info to find a suitable replacement though, and
after all it's just a wingwheel...

-Paul

Old April 26th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Apr 26, 1:41*pm, sisu1a wrote:
I have a wing wheel with a German gas strut that I suspect needs to be
replaced. *On the side of the strut is printed

G8 1 80 1 265 AU19 AU19 250N /5/

The nominal uncompressed length is about 11" (28cm) with about
3" (7.5cm) strut showing. *Strut diameter is about 5/16" (7-8mm), and
the outside cylinder diameter is about 3/4" (19-20mm).

I would appreciate any input on specs/sources for a replacement strut.

I dont know your exact make and model, but I can decipher most of the
info in the serial number, which should make it easy to buy an
equivalent.

Our local NAPA store has a pretty good selection & I suspect they
should be pretty much the same nationwide (I'm assuming you're in the
US). Might try there.
Craig
G8 * * * * * * *=? * (prolly determines end termination style-
eyelets, yolks, etc, you know what you need here)
1 80 1 * * * * =80mm stroke
265 * * * * * * =265mm uncompressed length (measured center to center
on the eyes)
AU19 AU19 = body is 19mm diameter (standard dia, not sure why appears
twice though...)
250N * * * * *= 250 newton force (roughly 50lbs...)
/5/ * * * * * * *=? * (possibly the bolt/clevis diameter for the
eyelets, possibly the number assigned to its compressive non-
linearity)

This should be enough info to find a suitable replacement though, and
after all it's just a wingwheel...

-Paul

If i
Old April 26th 10, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Apr 26, 2:41*pm, sisu1a wrote:
[...]

AU19 is eyelet end style. 19 mm from end to center of the bolt hole.
Has a M8 thread and takes a M8 bolt. The reason it is twice is it
uses the same fitting on both ends

G8 is the style with M8 shaft on both ends.

Good description on:

http://www.eckold.ch/Portals/VZ/Cont...nePreiseHP.pdf

As Craig said find one at your local auto-parts store that is close.

Worst case is the gas shock is not really needed and can be replace
with a solid rod or tube if you don't fold it up for storage.

Old April 27th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Apr 26, 4:24*pm, Frank wrote:
I have a wing wheel with a German gas strut that I suspect needs to be
replaced. *On the side of the strut is printed

G8 1 80 1 265 AU19 AU19 250N /5/

The nominal uncompressed length is about 11" (28cm) with about
3" (7.5cm) strut showing. *Strut diameter is about 5/16" (7-8mm), and
the outside cylinder diameter is about 3/4" (19-20mm).

I would appreciate any input on specs/sources for a replacement strut.

TIA

Frank (TA)

In addition to the good information you got elsewhere, just note that
the "specs" for the wing walker strut aren't all that critcal. For
instance, there are any number of struts that are a close fit from
NAPA, McMaster Carr, etc. I picked one up at a swap meet last year
- it looked "pretty close". Turned out that I needed to drill out
the eyelet hole by about 1/16, but otherwise it was indistinguishable
from OEM.

P3
Old April 27th 10, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_12_]

On Apr 26, 9:28*pm, Papa3 wrote:
On Apr 26, 4:24*pm, Frank wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for your help. The 250N / 50lb force number was the
piece that was missing, so now I'm off to the NAPA store tomorrow ;-)

Frank (TA)
Old April 27th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael[_10_]

For future reference:

If you are in need of an exact replacement try Haan Gas Springs -
http://www.hahn-gassprings.com/gasspring.htm

They also have a chart on how to decipher the numbers on most German
gas struts.

Thanks,
Michael 'BK'