ew microrecorder dropping GS signal

Old May 3rd 10, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike martin

Default ew microrecorder dropping GS signal

My EW microrecorder has been dropping the GPS signal. This usually
happens after about an hour or so after the start of the flight. It
can occure in straight or circling flight. It has taken up to 30
minutes to reaquire the GPS signal. I am sending the unit back to
Cumulous Soaring to update the software and firmware, but I am
wondering if anyone else is having problems.

Mike Martin
Old May 3rd 10, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Mike -

I occasionally get a loss of signal with my ewMicroRecorders (I have
had 2); but it usually lasts for no more than about 5 seconds.

Do you have the antenna securely attached, with a good view of the
sky? You didn't alter the antenna wire length, did you?

--Noel

Old May 3rd 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On May 3, 2:50*am, "noel.wade" wrote:
Mike -

I occasionally get a loss of signal with my ewMicroRecorders (I have
had 2); but it usually lasts for no more than about 5 seconds.

Do you have the antenna securely attached, with a good view of the
sky? You didn't alter the antenna wire length, did you?

--Noel

I see a lot of dropped signals on mine as well. I've used both a
Cambridge Model 20 and an NK Clearnav in exactly the same place
(identical antenna positions). I was planning to try temporarily
relocating the antenna to an even more unobstructed spot.

P3
Old May 3rd 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On May 2, 10:10*pm, mike martin wrote:
My EW microrecorder has been dropping the GPS signal. *This usually
happens after about an hour or so after the start of the flight. * It
can occure in straight or circling flight. *It has taken up to 30
minutes to reaquire the GPS signal. *I am sending the unit back to
Cumulous Soaring to update the software and firmware, but I am
wondering if anyone else is having problems.

Mike Martin

You might want to take a look at the connector from the GPS antenna to
the EW unit. I've seen a few that the connector has come completely
off the cable.