Concorde comes home to TRA

Old November 27th 03, 03:48 PM
Paul Sengupta

Default Concorde comes home to TRA

Did you fly? Did you see it? I went to LHR to see it take off. A sad day.
Got it on my camcorder as it flew over my head.

I then went flying. One guy at LHR went straight to Bristol to see it land!
I thought 1.5 hours LHR to Bristol was pushing it a bit, roadworks on the
M4 and everything! Wonder if he made it?

Paul

"B S D Chapman" mail-at-benchapman-dot-co-dot-uk wrote in message
news

FILTON TRA

Pilots should take note of the following NOTAM, which will be in place due
to the arrival of Concorde at Filton on Wednesday

Old November 27th 03, 11:46 PM
Bush

I rode jump seat on it quite actually, not bad for a Rope-Start Guppy
pilot. Fuel burn of 168,000 lb/hr on takeoff is quite impressive.

Have a great one!

Bush

Old November 28th 03, 11:05 AM
B S D Chapman

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:48:06 -0000, Paul Sengupta
wrote:

Did you fly?

No. Appart from the TRA and variable cloud cover, the forecast wind was a
border line. 15G25, 30-40^ off centerline. I haven't flown for 6 weeks,
and there's no way I'd chance it in our wee taildragger.

Did you see it?

The best I got was watching it on Sky News. No other (freeview) channels
were broadcasting live (we're too far away to pick up BBC Bristol / South
West).

I went to LHR to see it take off. A sad day.

Was very tempted to drive down to Bristol, but I had to be at home for the
survayor "who will be with you sometime between 9am and 3pm". In the end,
she was away by 11.45, and I could have made it far enough down the M4 to
make it worthwile...

Will have to make do with everyone elses photos and my own memories.

1) Stuck in a traffic jam on the M25 when I was yay high. Pitch black.
We're just comming up to the centreline when there is a terrific rumble.
As we look ahead all we can see are the blue shockwaves passing in front
of us.

2) Morning Coffee Break at university, nr Swindon. Every morning at 10:55
she passed overhead. You could set your watch by her... Except when she
was late, and then someone would always comment on it! The best bits were
in the sharp mid-winter mornings when the sun would hit her at just the
right angle...

3) Flying down to Shoreham last summer with my girlfriend. As we passed
Reading at about 2000', Concorde passed a couple of thousand feet above
us. She was amazed and totally in awe. She said it was one of the most
memorable moments of that year - and that was her Graduation year!! (mind
you, a don't remember many of the good times at university either *hic*).

4) Watching "50 Things To Do Before You Die". I've done 10 of the things
on that list, including paragliding, parachuting and flying in a fast
jet. Appart from the "Fly in Space" segment, every single other "thing"
was achievable by Joe Average with a bit a spare cash. When Concorde came
up I cried.

--

....And so as the little andrex puppy of time scampers onto the busy
dual-carriage way of destiny, and the extra-strong meet vindaloo of fate
Old November 28th 03, 12:33 PM
Stephen Cook

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message
Did you fly? Did you see it? I went to LHR to see it take off. A sad day.
Got it on my camcorder as it flew over my head.

I then went flying. One guy at LHR went straight to Bristol to see it

land!
I thought 1.5 hours LHR to Bristol was pushing it a bit, roadworks on the
M4 and everything! Wonder if he made it?

I was at the end of the runway on the A38. Despite the police saying there
were no facilities for the public outside the airfield there was a public
address system and portable bogs. Radio Bristol was on the PA and they said
that someone had managed to see both the takeoff and landing.

As it turns out the A38 was one of the best places to watch - possibly
better than on the airfield. There were three chances to see it: as it flew
past to start its tour of the Bristol Area, on its way back having flown
over Bristol and then for the landing. And then there was the Spitfire
display which seemed to be aligned with our end of the airfield, I guess
because that was where Prince Andrew was. After landing it backtracked and
came right to the end of the runway to dip its nose at us. For once I
didn't mind getting a lung full of exhaust gas. Nearly froze to death in
the hail storm though.

Interesting things heard on the radio:
Interception by the police helicopter of an aircraft infringing the TRA. I
didn't catch the registration as it was read out.
A request from the controller to the unknown owner of an Icom handheld to
keep his finger off the transmit button.

Stephen

Old November 28th 03, 01:01 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Stephen Cook" ] wrote in message
I was at the end of the runway on the A38. Despite the police saying

there
were no facilities for the public outside the airfield there was a public
address system and portable bogs. Radio Bristol was on the PA and they

said
that someone had managed to see both the takeoff and landing.

Ah, b*gg*r. I didn't even try as I thought I wouldn't have a chance of
getting close. Mind you, I went flying instead, so I didn't do anything
boring like going back to work.

Interesting things heard on the radio:
Interception by the police helicopter of an aircraft infringing the TRA.

didn't catch the registration as it was read out.

Ick. Wonder what action will be taken (if any)?

A request from the controller to the unknown owner of an Icom handheld to
keep his finger off the transmit button.

Ooo. When I was up there I tuned into Filton and heard nothing.
It was later though.

Paul

Old November 28th 03, 03:13 PM
Clive

[...]

According to the BBC News (radio) the flight from LHR to Filton went
supersonic ?????

Via where?

Clive

Old November 28th 03, 03:25 PM
Ali Hopkins

"Clive" wrote in message

According to the BBC News (radio) the flight from LHR to Filton went
supersonic ?????

Irish Sea, wasn't it?

Ali

Old November 28th 03, 05:55 PM
Paul Sengupta

Bay of Biscay.

It was full of BA pilots and cabin crew.

Paul

Old November 29th 03, 12:20 AM
David CL Francis

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 at 15:25:20 in message
, Ali Hopkins
wrote:

"Clive" wrote in message

According to the BBC News (radio) the flight from LHR to Filton went
supersonic ?????

Irish Sea, wasn't it?

No it was the Bay of Biscay I believe, not sure how much supersonic time
the passengers got. Heathrow take off was around 11:30 I understand.
Concorde can go a long way in an hour.
--
David CL Francis
Old November 29th 03, 10:28 PM
Andy Champ

David CL Francis wrote:
snip
Concorde can go a long way in an hour.

That's Concorde *could* go a long way....