garmin 496 - truning on and off mo xm subscription services....

Old June 30th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
EK

Default garmin 496 - truning on and off mo xm subscription services....

Yes. The quality of the music is excellent if you feed it into a stereo
intercom with music input. That's what I do.

Piper Warrior. N2096L.

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
" lightning and winds aloft "

you get this info on the light package? i thought it was
only on the full or heavy service...if not...what extras do
you get on the full service..@ $50 per mo....?

how is the quality of the music? can/does it replace the
use/need for mp3 or cd palyers?...is it good fm quality? ie:
stero, low static, etc...

thanx

On May 26, 8:13 am, "
wrote:
On May 16, 12:19 pm, "~^ beancounter ~^"
wrote:

I am about to activitate my garmin 496 weather and music features
w the xm folks...

I am going to use the "full blown" weather service @ $50 + $7 for the
radio feature.....

Two questions...1) if I know I am not going to use the features for
say
2 months ( or longer ) ...can I temp. turn on and shut off w/out
penalities
or fees?

Or, does one need to keep going, month to month using the services it
or not?...and 2) whats the music quality like on the radio side? How
do
folks listen to the music ? ... Get a good set of headphones?
Portable
speakers? Or just use the built in factory speaker?.......

As always...thanx for ideas, comments, and tips.....

cheers.......

Back to the subject line. I have the aviator light and love it. I also
pay the extra for the music as I have a stereo intercom in my Viking.
The only real difference I see is lightning and winds aloft. I can
figure them out with the Garmin. You can't just shut the service off
at will and pay as you use.- Hide quoted text -

Old July 7th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"EK" wrote in message
ng.com...
Yes. The quality of the music is excellent if you feed it into a stereo
intercom with music input. That's what I do.

Piper Warrior. N2096L.

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
" lightning and winds aloft "

you get this info on the light package? i thought it was
only on the full or heavy service...if not...what extras do
you get on the full service..@ $50 per mo....?

You get the Nexrad radar feed, METARs, and TAFs on both the $30 and $50
package, which is the biggest benefit, IMO. IIRC, you get TFRs even if you
don't subscribe at all.

The $50 package gets you Airmets/Sigmets, freezing levels, winds aloft, and
the satellite mosaic, all of which are really nice to have. Of lesser value
(IMO), you also get lightning, storm tracks, and suface analysis with the
$50 package.

http://www.xmradio.com/weather/av_service_pricing.xmc

how is the quality of the music? can/does it replace the
use/need for mp3 or cd palyers?...is it good fm quality? ie:
stero, low static, etc...

I don't have the XM radio connected in the plane as it costs an additional
$7 per month and I have an IPOD connection to my intercom. I do have XM
radio in my car and the quality is quite good and much better than FM. The
only time I loose the signal is in parking garages, tunnels, and really wide
overpasses, so I suspect you would probably have no reception problems at
all in a plane (except for in the hangar perhaps). If you get XM weather
through something like a 496, it's worth hooking up to the intercom even if
you don't subscribe to the audio service, because you get audio terrain
alerts.

One thing XM doesn't advertise on their web site is if you pay up front for
an entire year they give you a discount (I think it's 10%). For the XM
audio, if you have more than one receiver, they give you a discount for that
as well.