Turn coordinator? How dare they!

Old February 23rd 13, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Turn coordinator? How dare they!

On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:35:14 PM UTC+1, Sean F (F2) wrote:
For the record I am completely against cloud flying in contest or at all. It is illegal here in the US for very good reason. Pilots who do so are doing so COMPLETELY ILLEGALLY and should have their license revolked.

Wait a second, Sean. It is ABSOLUTELY NOT ILLEGAL to cloud fly in the US. If you want to cloud fly, you have to be IFR rated and your glider has to be IFR equipped. Then you just have to get a clearance from ATC (assuming you are going to cloud fly in controlled airspace) and off you go into the murk. If you are like most glider pilots in most gliders, busting the VFR cloud clearances for the airspace you are in (you remember those?) is not ILLEGAL, it a violation of the FARs and can get you your certificate revoked.

Cloud flying in contest, however, is prohibited in US rules. NOT ILLEGAL, but it's CHEATING.

If you are going to get on a soapbox and rant, at least get your facts and terminology right, please ;^)

Kirk
66
Old February 23rd 13, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

IFR rated glider ;-). Lol.
Old February 23rd 13, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:47:27 PM UTC+1, Sean F (F2) wrote:
IFR rated glider ;-). Lol.

There is an FAA designated examiner and Customs P-3 pilot down in Florida who has an IFR equipped (not rated, whatever that is) Nimbus 3. I delivered it to him in Houston from Phoenix several years ago. He cloud climbs legally with it, with a clearance.

Sean, just because YOU don't do it, doesn't mean others don't.

Cheers,

Kirk
66
Old February 23rd 13, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

So there is one. :-). I stand corrected!
Old February 23rd 13, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Gordon Boettger - Sierra wave flights.
Old February 23rd 13, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:21:04 AM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote:
So there is one. :-). I stand corrected!

Far more than one. I know an FAA inspector equipping his glider for IFR and night flying with the view to setting records in wave.

If one starts with an airplane instrument rating, flying gliders under instrument flight rules (as opposed to instrument meteorological conditions) is not that difficult and, in some instances, offers significant benefits.
Old February 23rd 13, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Cool! I'm an IFR rated pilot, but until now was unaware of the IFR sailplane scene. I think it's fine but still agree it has no place in contest.
Old February 23rd 13, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terence Wilson[_2_]

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 7:00:22 AM UTC-8, kirk.stant wrote:
On Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:47:27 PM UTC+1, Sean F (F2) wrote:

IFR rated glider ;-). Lol.

There is an FAA designated examiner and Customs P-3 pilot down in Florida who has an IFR equipped (not rated, whatever that is) Nimbus 3. I delivered it to him in Houston from Phoenix several years ago. He cloud climbs legally with it, with a clearance.

Sean, just because YOU don't do it, doesn't mean others don't.

Cheers,

Kirk

66

I'm aware that there are a handful of gliders out there flying IFR, but I'm curious how they comply with the FARs, for example, the requirement to have an alternator/generator. Is there an exemption granted from the FSDO or do these guys just skirt the rules?
Old February 23rd 13, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 3:04:16 PM UTC-6, Terence Wilson wrote:
On Saturday, February 23, 2013 7:00:22 AM UTC-8, kirk.stant wrote:

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:47:27 PM UTC+1, Sean F (F2) wrote:

IFR rated glider ;-). Lol.

There is an FAA designated examiner and Customs P-3 pilot down in Florida who has an IFR equipped (not rated, whatever that is) Nimbus 3. I delivered it to him in Houston from Phoenix several years ago. He cloud climbs legally with it, with a clearance.

Sean, just because YOU don't do it, doesn't mean others don't.

Cheers,

Kirk

66

I'm aware that there are a handful of gliders out there flying IFR, but I'm curious how they comply with the FARs, for example, the requirement to have an alternator/generator. Is there an exemption granted from the FSDO or do these guys just skirt the rules?

those rules apply to airplanes not gliders. gliders that are approved for instrument flight or "cloud flying" have a list of required instruments for instrument flight in their manuals or on their type certificates.
Old February 23rd 13, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terence Wilson[_2_]

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:10:40 PM UTC-8, Tony wrote:
[...]

Ah-ha. Thanks for the clarification.