For those of you who self studied... What did you use?

Old April 24th 04, 07:19 PM
Anthony L

Default For those of you who self studied... What did you use?

Hello everyone...pretty simple question. I am interested in doing
self-study for my ground school. I feel like I would do better at my own
pace, and I have a lot of experience working with industry certifications at
home, so I don't think I will lose any quality training.

I have read about many different companies that sell self-study packages. I
have received paperwork from Sporty, King, and some other one's via email.
Does anyone have any comments on the different packages? Anyone want to
recommend one over the other, or are they all just about the same? Any
specific packages you would suggest, maybe comeplete with practice tests and
such?

Thanks from a new Student Pilot!
Anthony

Old April 24th 04, 07:35 PM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

"Anthony L" wrote in message
Hello everyone...pretty simple question. I am interested in doing
self-study for my ground school. I feel like I would do better at my own
pace, and I have a lot of experience working with industry certifications

at
home, so I don't think I will lose any quality training.

I have read about many different companies that sell self-study packages.

have received paperwork from Sporty, King, and some other one's via email.
Does anyone have any comments on the different packages? Anyone want to
recommend one over the other, or are they all just about the same? Any
specific packages you would suggest, maybe comeplete with practice tests

and
such?

I did my training about 2 years ago, and about 95% of my ground school was
self-taught.

My school gave me the Cessna multimedia ground school (essentially the same
package as the King course), and I thought it was great, overall. The
package includes CD-ROMs for interactive video training, as well as a highly
useful textbook, and a few other tools. The CDs have informative and easy to
swallow video lessons and practice quizzes. My one criticism would be that
it does not cover weather theory in enough detail; but nothing that can't be
filled in by your instructor and other sources.

In addition to this package, I made it a point to read as much as I possibly
could about aviation in general. This newsgroup is a really valuable
resource, and there are some great websites out there as well
(www.ipilot.com is one that I recommend). Get a couple of magazine
subscriptions (you should get AOPA Flight Training for sure), and buy a
couple of other textbooks, especially pretaining to weather, just to round
yourself out and compare notes between the different sources. You'll find
that hearing the same thing from several different places will not only
reinforce the information, but will often provide different ways of
presenting the same issue, giving you valuable insight into not only the
black-and-white of the facts, but also the how and why these determinations
were made.

Overall, my training took just under a year, and I got a 98% on the written.

Good luck!

Old April 24th 04, 07:57 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Anthony L" wrote in message
Hello everyone...pretty simple question. I am interested in doing
self-study for my ground school. I feel like I would do better at my own
pace, and I have a lot of experience working with industry certifications

at
home, so I don't think I will lose any quality training.

I have read about many different companies that sell self-study packages.

have received paperwork from Sporty, King, and some other one's via email.
Does anyone have any comments on the different packages? Anyone want to
recommend one over the other, or are they all just about the same? Any
specific packages you would suggest, maybe comeplete with practice tests

and
such?

Thanks from a new Student Pilot!
Anthony

I purchased one $20 study manual at my local FBO. It did the job. That
said, IF I'm interested in a subject, I can pick up the relevant information
in a single reading, which isn't true for everyone.

KB

Old April 24th 04, 08:26 PM
Dan Truesdell

I used the Jepp ground school kit, albeit from 1979, and had little
difficulty. No tapes, just reading the stuff. (I was an aeronautical
engineering student at the time, which helped.) I used the King tapes
for my IFR written and, though corny at times, thought they were fine.
I also used the Gliems computer-based test prep. Thought that was most
useful. I'm currently using the King Commercial tapes. (I chose tapes
over CD/DVD because we have a VCR in the basement in front of the
treadmill. Makes the exercising go much faster.)

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old April 24th 04, 08:37 PM
Peter Duniho

"Anthony L" wrote in message
> [...]
[...]
I have read about many different companies that sell self-study packages.

have received paperwork from Sporty, King, and some other one's via email.
Does anyone have any comments on the different packages? Anyone want to
recommend one over the other, or are they all just about the same?

Over the years, I have used the Jeppesen student package, King School's
videos and test-taking software, Gleim prep manuals, ASA exam guides, and
Kerschner's training books.

In some respect, all were adequate and roughly similar. At the same time,
none were 100% complete, IMHO. Any reference or training aid sufficiently
concise to be useful in preparing for some FAA certification is also going
to have some gaps in its coverage.

I would say from an aesthetic point of view, I liked the Kings and
Kerschner's products the best, since they are less formal, giving them more
of a friendly, interactive feel. If you hate corny jokes, stay away from
the Kings.

Pete

p.s. I hear a guy named "Gardner" has a good book out too, but I haven't
had the chance to read it, so I can't comment.

Old April 24th 04, 09:07 PM
Jay Beckman

"Anthony L" wrote in message
Hello everyone...pretty simple question. I am interested in doing
self-study for my ground school. I feel like I would do better at my own
pace, and I have a lot of experience working with industry certifications

at
home, so I don't think I will lose any quality training.

I have read about many different companies that sell self-study packages.

have received paperwork from Sporty, King, and some other one's via email.
Does anyone have any comments on the different packages? Anyone want to
recommend one over the other, or are they all just about the same? Any
specific packages you would suggest, maybe comeplete with practice tests

and
such?

Thanks from a new Student Pilot!
Anthony

Anthony,

I'm currently training using the Cessna/King program.

While I like it for it's content, I'd prefer that it was on DVD and not
CD-ROM.

The main reason: I'd like to be able to use it on my TV as well as on a PC.

However, becaue it's PC-centric, I CAN use it on BOTH my desktop at home and
on my laptop if I'm travelling. Not everyone has DVD capability both home
and road.

The only other knock I'd put on Cessna/King is that some of their production
elements are a little dated. The King's use static drawings/cartoons which
would probably be a little clearer to understand if they were done with good
quality 3D models/animations. The Sporty's DVD series is a little cleaner
in this regard (IMO.) (Observation based on viewing a demo of the Sporty's
series...)

Of course you can't get the picture quality with a CD-ROM that you can get
wtih DVD either...but this isn't a major nit to pick.

However, I'm jaded ... I work in live Sports TV...

HTH...

Jay Beckman
Student Pilot - KCHD
13.9 Hrs ... Nowhere to go but up!

Old April 24th 04, 09:54 PM
Shirley

I used the Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual and Flight Maneuvers books in
conjunction with the ASA test guide. The $200 I spent for a Part 141 group
ground school course (12 students, 2 instructors) was probably some of the
*best* spent time and $$. They assigned reading prior to each class and went
over all of it with models other 3-D instructional aids in class. Each class
also started with 20 actual test questions. It was helpful to hear and discuss
questions and confusions everyone had, compare notes on our training and just
meet others (I know that's not important to everyone). Some people learn it
directly from a book with no problem; for the rest of us, the opportunity to
discuss and ask questions in conjunction with the reading helps to understand
more clearly. Practice tests are *SO* helpful--you can do them online at:
http://www.exams4pilots.org/
--Shirley
Old April 24th 04, 10:41 PM
Cub Driver

I did everything: I bought Rod Machado's book, I took a (dos) computer
study course, and I took ground school. In the end, I missed three
questions, one of which funnily enough had to do with the recreational
ticket I was seeking, and which of course was not covered in any of
the study materials.

Today I would look for a computer course, preferably online, rather
than buying DVDs I would likely not use again, and which might soon
become dated.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum