In his own words - BWB and the OMABP

Old July 6th 04, 05:32 AM
Bruce A. Frank

Gee, Bill, I actually remember your inadvertent post about a belt
failure. (intended as a private post).

I was also aware of a statement from someone that belt failures were
because of the type of belt being used in the beginning and the fact
that there was not enough airflow around the PSRU. The inadequately
cooled belt would soften and the cog teeth would strip. I believe the
belt at that time was a urethane construction which couldn't take the
heat as well as belts of other construction.

Badwater Bill wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:19:43 -0400, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Badwater Bill wrote:

I may take that thing to Arlington on Wednesday. If you are around,
you might see us there.

BWB

I'm on the east coast so I likely won't run across you any time soon and
my RV project will almost certainly be a retirement project with three
kids to put through college and the first just two years from starting.
Hopefully, but then the auto powered RVs will be very well established
and the only question left will be Subaru or Chevy. :-)

Matt

To tell you all the truth, in 1997 I didn't believe these guys would
be able to pull it off (but I didn't know anything about it either and
was there to learn). I flew the thing as a test pilot because I like
flying strange and different stuff. I did get concerned about all the
topics that Corkscrew posted in a rehash of my post when I quit the
project. But, over the years, they did fix a lot of stuff and I was
proven wrong. The thing does work and it seems to work well.

I just got off the phone with Tom Jones 10 minutes ago and they read
some of the stuff I just posted this evening. Tom told me that Jess
has bent over backward to replace things that may have not even been
defective when he thought he might have had a problem.

All of the PSRU is all computer cut and/or machined with lasers etc.
Jess found that some gear that was out of spec a few years ago and
went nuts about it. It turned out that all of the ones he'd sent out
were out of this country too. He paid for their returns from all over
the world only to find that he really didn't have a problem. But, he
replaced them all anyway with gears that were within spec. And, the
gear manufacturer who screwed him up didn't pay a nickel of it.

He's been very safety conscious about that product and that's my
primary concern about any of these homebuilder manufacturers.

The belts were a different issue. I actually failed one on the ground
once, when I was doing some really radical tests on it. The whole
team went ballistic about it and looked into that whole series of
belts. It was in 1997 I think. Jess doesn't even use that same type
of belt anymore but he did find that there was a defective batch. He
replaced everyone of them in the field at his expense although there
was never a failure.

Tom just told me that to our knowledge, there has NEVER been any
failure of the PSRU that Belted Air Power builds and sells. NEVER.

That's why it ****es me off to see some **** head like Corky Scott
tell you people that I posted there were PSRU failures. That's not
just bull **** and a bold face lie, it's libel. I think he's got his
head up his ass as usual. Just another sideliner with his head up his
ass making big claims about things he knows nothing about.

BWB

--
Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"

While trying to find the time to finish mine.
Old July 6th 04, 08:09 AM
bryan chaisone

No disrespect for you or Big B, Bob. I have read many of your posts
and have much respect for you, but this is .homebuilt. Most readers
and posters here ARE WANNABIES and proud of that fact. We do WANNABE
better pilots and builders. We do WANNABE more experienced. Both you
and Big B were once where most of us are here now.

CLUELESS? Everyone on this earth is CLUELESS. No one here knows that
one day they might offend the wrong person and have that person
actually do track them down and bite their heads off, (only without
prior showing any signs or warnings).

Not everybody on this earth will beat on their chest and threaten
people ahead of time when they are offended. They just might one day
see that person at some event and beat the sh*t out of them without
warning or explanation. Better yet, they might just track that person
down and do the same just because they know that that person deserves
it.

Calling people names is just not wise. You never know how a person
will react, especially people you have only met on the net.
Personally calling people names really turns me off. I loose all
respect and admiration for the smartest and most experienced people
just because they are arrogant and ignorant. The smartest people, and
those that think they are smart are clueless themselves. If they were
smart, they wouldn't resort to calling names or resort to threat. If
they were smart they'd just go ahead and do what they said they'd do
and not give any warning.

I'm just surprised by the things that come out of the mouths of people
who are as old or supposedly as smart as Big B. Aren't you supposed
to know better when you're that old?

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Barnyard BOb - wrote in message

Wannabies, the clueless... and worse, abound.
Is BWB correct or what?

Barnyard BOb - over 50 years of successful flight

Old July 6th 04, 11:38 AM
Kevin Horton

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 01:19:14 +0000, Badwater Bill wrote:

That's good because it's better to have Bill's support than to have him
against you. For all I know, the OMABP never even knew of Bill's
comments, not everyone knows about this group after all, so perhaps no
harm was done. But Bill did ask me to find the comment and repost it for
all to see. With the help of my anonymous benefactor, I've done as he
requested.

Corky Scott

I asked you to find my quote about the PSRU failing. Since it never did
fail, you can't find my quote on that issue. There were a batch of crappy
belts produced by some manufacture at the time and that was the only
problem I was ever aware of concerning that PSRU. Jess found out what
batch numbers those were and avoided them or alerted anyone he ever sold
one to about the belt. In fact I seem to recal that he sent them exchange
belts free of charge he was so worried about it at the time. But, there
was NEVER a PSRU failure. And some of these experimentals using Jess's
PSRU have crashed over the years. But none of the crashes were do to any
PSRU failure.

If the prop stops turning, does it matter that it was only a belt failure
and not a failure of some other part of the PSRU? The belt is an
integral part of the PSRU, not some optional add-on. I think Corky did
exactly what you asked him too.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada

Old July 6th 04, 06:05 PM
pacplyer

(bryan chaisone) wrote

Calling people names is just not wise. You never know how a person
will react, especially people you have only met on the net.
Personally calling people names really turns me off. I loose all
respect and admiration for the smartest and most experienced people
just because they are arrogant and ignorant. The smartest people, and
those that think they are smart are clueless themselves. If they were
smart, they wouldn't resort to calling names or resort to threat. If
they were smart they'd just go ahead and do what they said they'd do
and not give any warning.
snip
Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Bryan, Bryan, Bryan. In aviation, which I've been in all of my life,
you accord respect to those who have been practicing the prior art
successfully for more man-years than you have, because it is not wise
to do otherwise. Professional pilots have the benefit of living in a
real world classroom for ten to twenty years (sometimes less) before
they become PIC. Single pilot ops at 500 hrs are the most dangerous
kind in aviation but you guys seem to think after the government's
done mistraining you, that you can't be killed since you're a polite
person in society and the FAA's looking out for you. You see locker
room language and extensions of middle fingers on the screen, whereas,
I see emotion that's trying to tell me something important from a man
with more experience in that area than I have. Over 80% of human
communication is through facial expressions. The only way to covey
facial expression on this type of medium is through "smileys" or to
expand your vocabulary (including the use of profanity to convey
emotion.) We all would like to avoid mud-fights, but in this case I
think Corky was challenging BWB's honesty (solely because Bill was
featured in Kitplanes,) and Bill had a right to defend it. Now I
don't want to see this type of theater from you Bryan, because you
aren't an experienced builder/instructor yet. You probably still have
a lot to learn.

Guys like BWB and BYB are IMHO valuable resources to draw on for the
NG. I don't get along with them half the time myself, but I try to
overlook their faults (especially BOb's) and realize that
personalities like these, that don't care what others think of them,
are usually the most honest posters when it comes to content. They
post to amuse themselves and impart some reality to the group.
Whereas the average polite poster frequently: 1: has no idea what he's
talking about. 2: Worries so much about how he will be perceived that
even if he did know what he was talking about, would never dare to
voraciously correct something he's an expert on for fear of unfair
reprisal in the real world. Now you referenced someone kicking the
**** out of BWB in the real world. If someone can't win an argument
on the net and they take things to underhanded road-rage levels in the
real world, (stabbing holes in airplanes or hacking computers) they
shouldn't be surprised if it escalates into their back yard on some
dark night.

But we're just not going to use the same PC yardstick for old-school
guys like these who are hanging around here for free, trying to give
you a different perspective on flying and building. If it's too
salty, why don't you head on over to: rec.domestic.teaparty and I'm
sure they will moderate out any offensive historical truths about
trading tea for opium, so your polite tea-sipping won't be disturbed.
Sorry Bryan, but I'm not just going to sit here and watch you
lecture the instructor on his choice of language. If you don't like
it, don't take his class.

We like you Bryan buddy, but changing people is usually not possible.

pacplyer - out
Old July 6th 04, 08:22 PM
bryan chaisone

As I have apologized to you in my response to your private email to
me, I apologize to you here publicly. What I said was said in the
heat of passion, I humbly apologize.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

(Badwater Bill) wrote in message .. .
On 3 Jul 2004 06:37:45 -0700,
(bryan chaisone)
wrote:

Bigballs Bill? He used to be Bill "The Grump" Phillips. To me he is
just Bigmouth Bill. A friggin A-hole and a half. He has no
memmories. He doesn't know or remembers who is on his side. He will
turn on you in a pinch. It is all about BWB and no one else. When
you question him, he will threaten to hunt you down and bite your head
off. He thinks he is an ex-Navy Seal or Green Baret, I can't remember
which. Half of his stories are wishful thinking anyway. He used to
post pictures of himself flying an R22 and a MD500, landing at various
places. He insinuated that he owned them. I used to be really
impressed. I went to Vegas and rented a R22 out of Silver State
Helicopters and reallized it was the same R22 that he flew and landed
on the bank of Lake Meade. I reallized that then that he didn't own
that helo nor the MD500, but I didn't question him. Then there was
the time when he told stories about the Raven (CIA FAC pilots) flying
out of Vietnam and not being able to fly into Cambodia or Laos.
Couldn't fly into Laos? I happened to know for a fact that the Ravens
were based out of Wat Tai Airport in Vientiane Laos. I also pointed
out the fact that more tonnage of US bombs were dropped on Laos than
both WWI and WWII combined. There's a lot of things going on in his
head, he can't get it all straight, most of it is bits and pieces of
what he's read or watched in a movie. Sometimes he thinks he has
lived them, a lot of it is wishful thinking. I used to like him for
who he was. Now I don't like him for who he is. Naw, I think I still
like him. I think its his old age. He's not taking it well, aging
that is. He forgets a lot now. He can't take a joke like he used to
be able to. Us younger ones have to make allowances for our
elderlies. Sometimes older folks get grouchy.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

You know Bryan, you just about hit me on the head. I'll give you guys
a clue. Just like any other fiction writer, about 80% of it is truth
and about 20% of it is embellishment. If you keep that in mind,
you'll have a better time. Just because I post pictures of myself
standing next to helicopters and airplanes that I fly, that doesn't
mean I own them. If you look closely at all of my posts, I never said
I owned any of these helicopters. The only helicopter I ever owned
was a Mini-500. The government owned the rest, or Silver State, or
Kevin Morris, Chris Hukill and other buddies.

It's you guys who extrapolate to me owning all this stuff and flying
missions into Cambodia. Hell, I've never even been to the South East.
I'm a story writer Bryan. That's all. I rarely get serious about
anything, especially here on this **** for brains ng.

Why don't you just kick back and enjoy the story for what it's worth?
That's all there is to it.

It's not that I'm getting old and can't remember. It's that I'm bull
****ting you and can't remember!

Sure, I've done some real stuff. I did test fly that RV-6A for the
first 100 hours. And, I did test fly Carl Strom's RV-6 with a
Lycoming in it and crash it in the desert. Kind of interesting out of
all the hours I flew Jess's auto conversion I never crashed, but I
crashed the one with the Lycoming in it.

Anyway, some of the stuff I write is true, most is embellished. If
you keep that in mind, you'll be better off. I won't try to embellish
something that has anything to do with safety however. Safety if
paramount to me. But, as far as the stories about Air America and the
crap like that, DON'T believe a word of it.

I get a kick out of some of you here though. It seems that someone
always picks on me about something I really did do. It's always the
wrong thing they pick. Like the years I spent on the EPA projects. I
never mentioned that in detail until recently. I was waiting for
years for someone to call me on that and guess what? All of that was
true and they got creamed when they finally did call me on it.

So, you just never know, do you. I've done enough of it, that I can
hold my own in this "Bar-Room" kind of bull **** session. Some of it
it extremely factual. But it's like any other profession. If you
have been a real professional at times in your life, you can fill in
the gaps with some intersting bull **** too.

The big problem with the average reader here in RAH is that they have
done almost nothing. They can't fly, they can't build, and they are
too lazy to try.

Anybody like me with a few thousand hours in helicopters, airplanes,
balloons, gliders, gyros, hang gliders, etc. and who has rebuilt
airplanes since high school, can just about walk over any of the self
proclaimed know it alls who really comprise the majority of this ng.
It's not even a challenge.

Look at a guy like Pac. He's in the same position. He really does
have the ratings and the flying time. It's no challenge to him when
some Cessna 150 pilot with 30 hours confronts him over something.

Anyway, just sitting in here and telling the facts all the time is
boring. I'm a story teller in real life. I love a good novel and a
good story. And, I have read a lot, so I can write about SE Asia and
Laos if I chose to. I can write about it well enough to fool even you
who lived there.

But, I'm telling you up front Bryan, I'm a story teller first, a pilot
and a builder second. Don't lose track of that and you won't be
trying to research my posts for the past 10 years like Corky did
trying to trip me up.

BWB

Old July 7th 04, 12:07 AM
Badwater Bill

On 6 Jul 2004 12:22:48 -0700, (bryan chaisone)
wrote:

As I have apologized to you in my response to your private email to
me, I apologize to you here publicly. What I said was said in the
heat of passion, I humbly apologize.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Don't you love it Bryan! I mean the HEAT of PASSION! Hell most of
the old ****s here couldn't get their heart rate up of a naked woman
walked by them. At least you are alive my man!

Don't sweat it. I'd have been ****ed off too if you got me confused
with the general moron of RAH. You had a right to be ****ed. You owe
me no apology at all. I screwed up, plain and simple. I just didn't
recognize you as the Bryan I knew. I think that I thought your name
was spelled Brian and that threw me. And, as you so appropriately
said, I'm getting old and feeble minded. Hell, I even have long
periods nowadays when I don't think of sex. That's really getting
old. Yesterday I had 12 minutes when I didn't think about sex at all.

When I get that Lancair Legacy done in a couple years, you are my
first invitation to come out and take a ride at 300 mph!

Just bought my O-550 today. Whaa-Hoooo That baby is gonna go with
the super charger on it at flight level 250! I just hope I don't die
of old age before I finish it and fly it. But, considering that the
thing is a "Lick and Stick" it ought to go fast. I mean after two
weeks at the factory using their jigs, you bring home a glued together
fuselage and the wings are closed. So, you just lick it and stick it
and the body is almost there. No 20,000 rivets. Eat your heart out
Amp Meter and you other RV builders! Ha!

BWB

Old July 7th 04, 12:22 AM
Badwater Bill

Let me clarify.

There are STUDENTS....
and then there are the wannabies, the clueless, etcetera.

STUDENTS_ learn_ and_ progress.
The rest of the crop are mostly stuck in transmit mode.

The posts tell the story....
At least to some of us that are paying attention.

Barnyard BOb -
The more people I meet,
the more I love my dog
and George Carlin humor.

Although I hate to pat Bourbon on the back, he's right. There are
students who progress and do things. Bryan is one who does. But
Bryan is rare on this group.

Bryan is not a sideliner. He's not someone who watches this game from
the pits. He's an actor. He's a player. He's in the football field,
not cheering on the lines. That gives him a big difference in his
perspective. He's done a lot in his short lifetime. I'm proud of
him and his accomplishments. And, he is something I will never be,
that I admire, he's humble.

But Bryan I have to tell you something. As you get older, you do know
better, you just get tired of taking **** from idiots. You'll see my
young man. You'll see.

Look at this idiot who accuses me of saying that Jess's PSRU's failed.
How simple minded could you be? The guy libeled himself. He opened
himself up to a law suit if he caused me damages. What if I made my
money test-flying homebuilts for developers of things like Jess
developed and this idiot said this in a public forum and cost me a few
future jobs? There would be real damages because of his loose lips
and misinterpretations. I'd have to sue him.

So, instead of suing him, I just belittle him for being stupid here in
the same public forum. If he had his brain screwed on right IMHO,
he'd apologize. But, he's too full of himself for that. The reality
of it is that he screwed up. He owed me an apology and if he cost me
money, he'd owe me that money that he cost me. That's what the law
suit system is all about...recovery.

However, since he didn't cost me anything, I won't sue him. Because I
won't sue him, he's got a "Get out of Jail Free" card and he can
continue to shoot off his ignorant mouth. The only recourse I have is
to play with him a bit and point out how really profoundly stupid he
is by doing what he did.

I think as you get older you learn to call people's bluff like this
more and when you do, you get your pound of flesh for them screwing
with you. It's a lot simpler than using the legal system, and it's a
lot less damaging. Yeah, the guy might kick my ass someday, so what?
I've had my ass kicked before. But, I might surprise him and it could
go the other way too. I doubt that anything like that would ever
happen, hell, the guy is a librarian. Does that sound like a street
fighter?

BWB

Old July 7th 04, 12:41 AM
Badwater Bill

But we're just not going to use the same PC yardstick for old-school
guys like these who are hanging around here for free, trying to give
you a different perspective on flying and building. If it's too
salty, why don't you head on over to: rec.domestic.teaparty and I'm
sure they will moderate out any offensive historical truths about
trading tea for opium, so your polite tea-sipping won't be disturbed.
Sorry Bryan, but I'm not just going to sit here and watch you
lecture the instructor on his choice of language. If you don't like
it, don't take his class.

We like you Bryan buddy, but changing people is usually not possible.

pacplyer - out

BBWWAWAAHHHAHHAHAAAAA

Pac, you crack me up. Only another brother with a lot of flying-time
can see through the bull ****. Isn't it interesting how clear all
this is to us, but how few will understand anything you had to say
above. And Bourbon? Hell, he sees all this too. He's been yanking a
stick since we were ****ting in our diapers. It's infinitely clear to
him too even though he's a cranky old **** and he ****es me off most
of the time too.

In Bryan's case, he'll understand your message. But, most won't. He's
done quit a bit that's transparent to the ng. He's one of us, he's
just a younger version, so he puts his head on a chopping block so we
can pick on him. Also, he's oriental, and as you know since you are
married to an oriental, they have manners far beyond anything that we
will ever have six lifetimes from now. I think most of what Bryan is
saying is related to his Asian culture of being mannerly. He came
from a culture where if you weren't mannerly they simply cut your head
off.

Have a nice day.

BWB