Turkeys for Thanksgiving

Old November 23rd 05, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Turkeys for Thanksgiving

Well, I see that a couple of turkeys are showing up for Thanksgiving!
"Skyloon" and "jgrove" are back!

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old November 23rd 05, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by Orval Fairbairn Nov 23, 2005 at 04:12
PM

Well, I see that a couple of turkeys are showing up for Thanksgiving!
"Skyloon" and "jgrove" are back!

The AOPA has announced that it will be closed from 2:30 pm today until
Monday morning.

All efforts to extort tax dollars from the general public in order to
support recreational flying, resist attempts to impose security measures
at GA airports, battle communities' efforts to control airport/airplane
noise, or eliminate any local control of development surrounding an
airstrip, will be temporarily suspended on account of the holiday.

Normal propaganda is expected to resume promptly at 9:00 a.m. EST on
Monday, 11/28.

Old November 23rd 05, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article
outaviation.com,
"Skylune" wrote:

by Orval Fairbairn Nov 23, 2005 at 04:12

PM

Well, I see that a couple of turkeys are showing up for Thanksgiving!
"Skyloon" and "jgrove" are back!

The AOPA has announced that it will be closed from 2:30 pm today until
Monday morning.

All efforts to extort tax dollars from the general public in order to
support recreational flying, resist attempts to impose security measures
at GA airports, battle communities' efforts to control airport/airplane
noise, or eliminate any local control of development surrounding an
airstrip, will be temporarily suspended on account of the holiday.

Normal propaganda is expected to resume promptly at 9:00 a.m. EST on
Monday, 11/28.

Well, as long as everyone else (backpackers, bicyclists, mass transit,
etc.) is line up to get money from the Feds to support THEIR activities,
why shouldn't GA, too? Also, why shouldn't GA defend itself against the
predation of developers and others who would do us harm?

Control of development around airports is just another tool in
self-defense against irresponsible (and sometimes corrupt) development.
Why should a landowner be allowed to construct a 15-story building
across the fence from a runway threshold?

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old November 24th 05, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skylune" wrote

All efforts to extort tax dollars from the general public in order to
support recreational flying, resist attempts to impose security measures
at GA airports, battle communities' efforts to control airport/airplane
noise, or eliminate any local control of development surrounding an
airstrip, will be temporarily suspended on account of the holiday.

I've been a GA pilot since 1984 and have never bothered to join the AOPA.
But, after scanning and selectively reading this newsgroup for only a month
or two, people like the poster of the above have convinced me finally join,
and my dues have already been sent.

Skylune, thanks for contributing some of your hard-earned money so that I
can enjoy flying! I'm sure you appreciate all the money I've contributed in
return so that your kids can get a decent education.

Old November 24th 05, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
"Nick Danger" wrote:

"Skylune" wrote

All efforts to extort tax dollars from the general public in order to
support recreational flying, resist attempts to impose security measures
at GA airports, battle communities' efforts to control airport/airplane
noise, or eliminate any local control of development surrounding an
airstrip, will be temporarily suspended on account of the holiday.

I've been a GA pilot since 1984 and have never bothered to join the AOPA.
But, after scanning and selectively reading this newsgroup for only a month
or two, people like the poster of the above have convinced me finally join,
and my dues have already been sent.

Skylune, thanks for contributing some of your hard-earned money so that I
can enjoy flying! I'm sure you appreciate all the money I've contributed in
return so that your kids can get a decent education.

AMEN! And -- don't forget your state and local pilots' Associations,
either. It is they who are on the first line of defense against
Philistines like "jgrove' and "Skyloon."

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old November 25th 05, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nick Danger wrote:

Skylune, thanks for contributing some of your hard-earned money so that I
can enjoy flying!

Yeah, he's changed my opinion of Phil Boyer a bit, too. As much as he lambastes
the man, I figure Phil must be working miracles for us.

George Patterson
We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop
playing.
Old November 28th 05, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by "Nick Danger" Nov 24, 2005 at 03:17 PM

"Skylune" wrote

[...]

Welcome to AOPA!! Only $39 bucks for annual membership: a real bargain.
(And fees have not gone up while Boyer The Destroyer has been in charge.)
I'm an associate member myself.

AOPA propaganda machine back on line, and going really strong. Lots of
new material. The video under "We're Mad as Hell" is truly
outstanding!!!!!

Propaganda begins almost immediately but some highlights:

9:07 in, discussing user fees, presenter says FSS is only dedicated FAA
service that GA utilizes. What a whopper that one is!!!!

Later some dry discussion about lack of insurance coverage if you rent
from an FBO, aging pilot population vis-a-vis insurance underwriting view,
etc. Nothing real entertaining here....

The Destroyer then introduces his cabinet of VPs, SVPs, EVPs, etc. All of
course pay the necessary homage (he must be a gem to work for).

25:55: "Media Training" session (LOL). Concerning the 5/05 DC incursion,
a slide goes up showing selected press coverage AOPA got. Noticeably
absent from the slide are publications that are critical of GA airport
"security," especially the USA Today! No mention of the "I fly a C-150,
Fear Me!" bumper sticker.

32:37: A really pathetic attempt at levity, where they stage a "mock
interview" with a GA airport manager, and then show what the media would
do with it. "Media education" would probably mean the press just prints
AOPA press releases: that should be satisfactory.

Later: "AOPA Guide to Talking to Reporters" will be coming out soon! A
must read. (Sounds kinda like the little red books the kids used to carry
around in China in the 70s).

Around 34:30: A classic moment. After paying homage to Phil, the whole
crowd (almost) gives a standing ovation. As the camera pans, two
old-timers sit, stonefaced, without applauding. My kind of guys! Amazing
that AOPA didn't edit this out of the production.

Around 39:00: Phil hands out a few promotions to EVP before a stunned
audience and the recipients, who again pay public homage. A real
highlight is the part of this segment where Phil holds his open palm over
the head of a woman recipient. What an inspiring moment!, with an almost
religious aura!

A must view, especially for people who like B SCI FI movies that are
unintentionally funny.