Kennedy gets his own TFR

Old May 25th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default Kennedy gets his own TFR

Dudley Henriques wrote:
One thing about these political exchanges on Usenet is that they are
never rectified. Everyone has an opinion and I assume this one is
yours.
I have an absolute 0 interest in arguing a point past an initial
comment and/or changing anyone's mind who disagrees with an off topic
comment such as this one that I make.

Ironically(?), what you state above is similar to my position.

You stated your opinion, so I stated mine. I'm sure you weren't expecting
to change anyone's mind with your post, and I wasn't expecting to
accomplish that either. But if you are like me, then you hold some tiny
expectation that publicly stating your opinion has some subtle influence
somehow - else why would any of us ever bother posting our opinions at all?
;-)
Old May 25th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
One thing about these political exchanges on Usenet is that they are
never rectified. Everyone has an opinion and I assume this one is
yours.
I have an absolute 0 interest in arguing a point past an initial
comment and/or changing anyone's mind who disagrees with an off topic
comment such as this one that I make.

Ironically(?), what you state above is similar to my position.

You stated your opinion, so I stated mine. I'm sure you weren't expecting
to change anyone's mind with your post, and I wasn't expecting to
accomplish that either. But if you are like me, then you hold some tiny
expectation that publicly stating your opinion has some subtle influence
somehow - else why would any of us ever bother posting our opinions at all?
;-)

No offense meant Jim ; just an observation from years and years of
Usenet experience :-))). I'm sure you know what I mean.

Somebody posts something that involves an issue where just about every
answer down the line will reflect at least SOME kind of agenda based
"feeling". My post will be no different.
What I usually try to do is pass on these political things to begin
with. When I do give in to temptation and post some kind of comment, I
expect I'll get answers ranging from "Attaboy Dud, you tell um" to "Get
a f*****g life you f*****g idiot". :-)
Being as I'm at least trying to enjoy my Usenet experience, I've made a
pact with myself to simply allow anyone who opposes something I say to
pass on in peace :-)
Can't win at these things, so I simply don't try very hard any more to
make a political point.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old May 25th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Tina wrote in
:

I do not like the man, but would say his privacy should be respected.
If good taste won't keep people away, this minor inconvenience to
pilots is fine. Although, given the tastelessness of many who would
get close, the zone should be defined as anything within range of say
a 50 caliber round.

Yeah, I'd have a hard time disagreeing with any of that..

Bertie

Old May 25th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
m:

shoOn May 24, 11:59 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Can you be sure?

Bertie

Absolutely.

How#'s that? Can you be absolutely sure beyond any shadow of doubt that he
isn't the second coming?

Bertie
Old May 25th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
[...]

No offense taken - and by your tone, none inflicted! ;-)

Somebody posts something that involves an issue where just about every
answer down the line will reflect at least SOME kind of agenda based
"feeling". My post will be no different.
What I usually try to do is pass on these political things to begin
with. When I do give in to temptation and post some kind of comment, I
expect I'll get answers ranging from "Attaboy Dud, you tell um" to
"Get a f*****g life you f*****g idiot". :-)
Being as I'm at least trying to enjoy my Usenet experience, I've made
a pact with myself to simply allow anyone who opposes something I say
to pass on in peace :-)
Can't win at these things, so I simply don't try very hard any more to
make a political point.

We may have differing opinions on some things, but in spite of the tone
of my opinionated post, I do normally try to follow the same precepts
that you've just outlined. And as it happens, I regretted my post a few
moments after making it. Post in haste, repent at leisure.

As a side note, I sometimes think I have a vague idea of the way a post
should be written if it hopes to assert some influence, however tiny -
and first and foremost it shouldn't appear confrontational. It should
avoid the appearance of being absolutist. It should attempt to first find
common grounds of agreement with the audience. It should should attempt
to show sympathy for the goals or motivation of the other peson, if
possible. It should keep an even emotional tone. And so on.

My post failed those criteria on all accounts! :-(
Old May 25th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
[...]

I know what you mean. I try to deal with this myself almost every day on
Usenet. I don't always succeed :-))

I have a theory about Usenet. If two people posting with each other
sense an online relationship worth saving , they'll find a way to make
that happen .
If the "relationship" isn't worth saving, either one or both will know
it in short order. :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old May 25th 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Blueskies writes:

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message ...
I agree. Like him or not, (and I can't stand the guy believe me ) his "position" in the government warrants
protection. It's a sad testimony to aviation if some of those who fly can't make this simple distinction.
We live in difficult times. When and if we reach the point where both sides of a political equation start wishing each
other harm and deride a Senator's (ANY Senator's) right to personal protection, we have reached a point fraught with
danger for the country.

--
Dudley Henriques

Absolutely no need to provide 'special' protections. I just watched Carl Levin (senator, MI) walking down a parade route
the other day, just walking along waving to everyone. No visible 'special' security anywhere, and no TFR for sure.

Old May 25th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Blueskies writes:

Absolutely no need to provide 'special' protections. I just watched
Carl Levin (senator, MI) walking down a parade route the other day,
just walking along waving to everyone. No visible 'special' security
anywhere, and no TFR for sure.

Being a senator isn't nearly as important as being a Kennedy. Don't forget
the efforts made at taxpayer expense to find the last Kennedy who disappeared
in an airplane.
Old May 25th 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Dudley Henriques schrieb:
No offense meant Jim ; just an observation from years and years of
Usenet experience :-))). I'm sure you know what I mean.

In all those years: have you never trimmed your posts? you've been told
a couple of times by now from different people. Please: TRIM YOUR POSTS!

#m

f-up2poster
Old May 25th 08, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
150flivver

ThisTFR like many have nothing to do with national security. It's
simply an inappropriate method of keeping paparazzi at bay just like
Disney's TFR keeps those pesky banner tow'rs from freely advertising
to park visitors. It's as effective at stopping a terrorist attack as
posting a sign on a building banning concealed weapons--only the law
abiding will honor it.