Young Eagles pilots

Old January 13th 04, 11:58 PM
David Gunter

Default Young Eagles pilots

Aside from joining a local EAA chapter, what other qualifications must a
pilot have in order to become a volunteer for the Young Eagles
program? After poking around the EAA website I get the impression there
is nothing else, but want to verify.

-david
Old January 14th 04, 03:16 AM
BTIZ

there is a move afoot in a NPRM to raise the minimum pilot qualifications
for "charity" flights to 500hrs Total Time..

keep an ear to the FAA mill..

BT

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

David Gunter wrote:

Aside from joining a local EAA chapter, what other qualifications must a
pilot have in order to become a volunteer for the Young Eagles
program? After poking around the EAA website I get the impression there
is nothing else, but want to verify.

You don't have to join a local chapter if you're a member of the national

org.
There are also a few affiliated organizations, and you can fly YEs if

you're a
member of one of those. I don't know what they are, however.

You need a pilot's certificate that qualifies you to carry passengers on

the
type of flight planned (typically, rec. pilot or better), a current

medical,
you must meet the currency requirements for carrying passengers (90 days),

have
a current BFR, and the plane must be insured.

In short, if the FAA will let you make the flight, the EAA will.

Now. If you don't belong to a local chapter, here's what you can do. Go to
http://www.youngeagles.org/3000next/events.html and check out future

flights
that are close enough for you to participate in. Then call the contact

number
and ask the person running the show if they need any more pilots. If so,

show
up and fly.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually

said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Old January 14th 04, 05:40 AM
Robert M. Gary

Unless the kids are brought in as Boy Scout group or something (BSA
has additional requirements and provides add'l insurance) all you
really need is a private. They may require 200 hours time but I can't
remember for sure. You also need to have "base" insurance (1,000,000
total 100,000 seat) and EAA makes the policy "smooth" for free.

The FAA wants to change that. There is currently a proposal to require
500 total time for pilots. AOPA is fighting that.

Old January 14th 04, 04:41 PM
Ron Natalie

"BTIZ" wrote in message newsE1Nb.21419$zs4.18497@fed1read01...
there is a move afoot in a NPRM to raise the minimum pilot qualifications
for "charity" flights to 500hrs Total Time..

YE is NOT a charity airlift.

Old January 14th 04, 04:42 PM
Ron Natalie

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message om...
Unless the kids are brought in as Boy Scout group or something (BSA
has additional requirements and provides add'l insurance) all you
really need is a private. They may require 200 hours time but I can't
remember for sure. You also need to have "base" insurance (1,000,000
total 100,000 seat) and EAA makes the policy "smooth" for free.

Yes, the EAA "rider" made it so I could fly cubsprouts.

Old January 14th 04, 09:12 PM
gross_arrow

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message om...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message om...
Unless the kids are brought in as Boy Scout group or something (BSA
has additional requirements and provides add'l insurance) all you
really need is a private. They may require 200 hours time but I can't
remember for sure. You also need to have "base" insurance (1,000,000
total 100,000 seat) and EAA makes the policy "smooth" for free.

Yes, the EAA "rider" made it so I could fly cubsprouts.

me, too! me, too!

i had a coupla cub dens wanting flights for their scouts, and i wanted
_some_ small excuse for a liability waiver (even though i know they
are not bulletproof), so i joined the eaa for $40, and they sent me
all the forms. in addition, gleim will send you a quantity of booklets
on how to become a pilot just for requesting them for y.e. flights.

i flew 17 last year, all cubs, on three separate days.

g_a
Old January 15th 04, 12:10 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message om...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message om...
Unless the kids are brought in as Boy Scout group or something (BSA
has additional requirements and provides add'l insurance) all you
really need is a private. They may require 200 hours time but I can't
remember for sure. You also need to have "base" insurance (1,000,000
total 100,000 seat) and EAA makes the policy "smooth" for free.

Yes, the EAA "rider" made it so I could fly cubsprouts.

Even better, after the EAA rider, the BSA insurance kicks in and
provides a cool 10 million smooth. The downside is there is a little
bit of paperwork to get the BSA forms signed. Not a big deal, just
something you need to arrange ahead of time.
Old January 15th 04, 12:26 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message om...
"BTIZ" wrote in message newsE1Nb.21419$zs4.18497@fed1read01...
there is a move afoot in a NPRM to raise the minimum pilot qualifications
for "charity" flights to 500hrs Total Time..

YE is NOT a charity airlift.

According to the AOPA web sight...
"The proposal would raise the minimum number of hours required for
pilots conducting charity fundraising flights from 200 to 500 "
Old January 15th 04, 12:30 AM
Ron Natalie

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message om...
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message om...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message om...
Unless the kids are brought in as Boy Scout group or something (BSA
has additional requirements and provides add'l insurance) all you
really need is a private. They may require 200 hours time but I can't
remember for sure. You also need to have "base" insurance (1,000,000
total 100,000 seat) and EAA makes the policy "smooth" for free.

Yes, the EAA "rider" made it so I could fly cubsprouts.

Even better, after the EAA rider, the BSA insurance kicks in and
provides a cool 10 million smooth.

Yes, but the BSA requires a million smooth before they'll even think
about letting you fly sprouts.

The downside is there is a little
bit of paperwork to get the BSA forms signed.

It's a bit intrusive.