IPAQ Wiring - which pins are used

Old February 22nd 04, 01:16 PM
Michael

Default IPAQ Wiring - which pins are used

There are commercial solutions availabe, ready to use.
But I would like to know which pins are used on the
IPAQ 3900 side for a two wire communication with the GPS
and which pins are used for the +5V power supply.

The IPAQ connector has some 22 pins and I guess that for
power pins 19 gets +5V and pin 21 gets ground.

A standard serial cable may connect pins 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,
whereas the USB cable connects to what? Is it pin 17 and 22 or
some of the serial pins?

Can someone explain the pin usage for a 4 wire power/com cable
on the IPAq side?

Thanks a lot
Michael
Old February 23rd 04, 12:02 AM
Gary

Here goes

1 Power V_ADP + 5 Volt
2 Power V_ADP +
3 Power V_ADP +
4 Power V_ADP +
5 Reserved - Do not use
6 RS232 DCD
7 RS232 RXD For GPS
8 RS232 TXD For GPS
9 RS232 DTR
10 GND Ground Negative side for your 5 volt -
11 RS232 DSR
12 RS232 RTS
13 RS232 CTS
14 DS232 RING
15 GND Ground
16 No Connect - Do Not Use
17 USB Detect
18 No Connect - Do Not Use
19 USB - UDC +
20 No Connect - Do Not Use
21 USB - UDC -
22 Ground

Note: Pin out- 22 Pin Cradle Connector IPAQ Side

Notched Side will be the even numbers

Gary

Old February 23rd 04, 12:08 AM
K.P. Termaat

The 22 pin connector that fits into the iPaq 3900 series uses the following
pins for a connection to a NMEA serial port:
pins 1,2,3,4 = 5Volt
pins 10,15,22 = common
pin 7 = RD (input to iPaq)
pin 8 = TD (output from iPaq)

When using a DB9 male connector for the serial port connection use the
following pins on this connector:
pin 2 = data in (to iPaq)
pin 3 = data out (from iPaq, but normally not used)
pin 5 = common
pin 8 = +5Volt

Good luck,

Karel, NL

"Michael" schreef in bericht
om...

Old March 14th 04, 12:03 PM
John Ferguson

Hi,

Wonder if you can help. I'm looking at a plug for the
3900 series Ipaq and it has 4 rows of staggered pins
for soldering to. Does anyone know the pin numbering
sequence for the plug, thanks in advance

John

Old March 14th 04, 05:01 PM
tango4

Try www.internationalsoaring.org/Pinouts.html

Ian

Old March 15th 04, 01:17 AM
John Ferguson

Thanks Ian, unfortunately, you plug is a bit different
to mine. Yours has 5 pins in the top then two rows
of 6 then one of 5.

Mine has 6 pins in the top row then two rows of 5 and
a last row of six.

Has anyone managed to get one of these cables working
with a 5450 Ipaq ?

All help appreciated.

Old March 15th 04, 07:41 PM
Jibpilot

or you might try
http://www.kolumbus.fi/ari.torpstrom/pinouts_.htm nice pictures of the pins

Gunnar
Old March 15th 04, 08:25 PM
tango4

Same picture but the connector for the 3900 that he has is different. I am
trying to get a matching photo to the one he has

Ian

Old March 15th 04, 09:35 PM
John Ferguson

Thanks for your help with the pinouts, I have to admit
that I got my pin count wrong and have been trying
to use 12 (RTS) instead of 7. Found out by plucking
pins out of a plug until I was sure.

My plug is numbered like this

1 5 9 13 17 21
3 7 11 15 19
4 8 12 16 20
2 6 10 14 18 22

Hope the formatting is retained.

John

Old March 15th 04, 09:48 PM
tango4

I have plugs by 2 different manufacturers and neither of them has 4 rows of
pins!

Ian