Is Charley telling us anything about A/C tie-down?

Old August 22nd 04, 01:20 AM
CFLav8r

"Icebound" wrote in message ...
Does anybody know of any wind-tunnel tests for analysis of tie-down
behaviour? I tried a google search without much success.

Having seen the Charley pictures from Orlando Executive and Punta Gorda,

I'm
wondering if we are doing the right thing.

I can tell you from recent experience that the only way to safe guard your
plane
in winds exceeding 50knots, is to move it to some place safe.
There are pictures on three websites that will show you planes that were
tied down
and still damaged, some still tied down and damaged in place.
http://www.flyinggators.com/news/hurricane/exec.htm
http://www.floridascubadiver.com/hurricane_charley.htm
http://www.avweb.com/news/features/187931-1.html

David (KORL)

Old August 22nd 04, 02:11 AM
Del Rawlins

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:56:55 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article , Mark Smith
wrote:

Kathryn & Stuart Fields wrote:

Why not the "Belt and Suspenders" approach? Tie both ends down.
Stu Fields (Helicopters have problem with just tying down the rear blade)
"Icebound"

if you expect really bad winds, support the tail, AND tie it down,

And, ductape some makeshift spoilers to the wings: some 8 ft pieces of
2x2, taped ahead of the spar line, secured with about 8, 2 ft strips of
2" ductape (top surface) will secure it, provided that there is no dirt
on the wing.

A couple years ago when we had high winds in Anchorage and a bunch of
airplanes were lost, the weak point on tube and fabric types seemed to
be the rear wing strut. In addition to extra tiedowns, lots of guys
would lash and/or duct tape a 2x4 to the strut to brace it and prevent
buckling.

Del Rawlins--
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply
Old August 22nd 04, 05:35 AM
guynoir

An old bush pilot told me they used really long wing tie downs to a
single point and left the tail untied in high winds in Alaska. This
allowed the aircraft to lift off and weathervane in high winds. The
aircraft were staked out far enough apart that they wouldn't collide
with each other. I'd be interested to know if anyone's actually
witnessed that method. A Cozy owner told me that by retracting the
nosegear of a Cozy or Long EZ, it could withstand 60 knot winds without
being tied down. I don't know how much truth there is to that one,
either, but there obviously aren't very many airplanes that CAN'T
withstand 100mph+ winds.

Icebound wrote:
Does anybody know of any wind-tunnel tests for analysis of tie-down
behaviour? I tried a google search without much success.

Having seen the Charley pictures from Orlando Executive and Punta Gorda, I'm
wondering if we are doing the right thing.

The standard for tricycle gear GA planes seems to be wings and tail.

Having been to my own airport, I can see that most of the tail ropes are
usually the rattiest you can find.
Besides, ev

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.

Old August 22nd 04, 07:41 AM
C J Campbell

The hurricane hitch should be able to withstand winds of 150 knots, given
rope of adequate strength. This is the only knot that should be used for
tieing down aircraft, yet my personal observation is that fewer than one
pilot in 50 knows how to tie it. The knot is described in E.F. Potts' book
on bush piloting.

Chains are worse than inadequate as tiedowns. They cannot be attached
without some slack remaining, and sudden stretching of the chain will cause
it break when it snaps taught. Loose and broken chains are also dangerous in
and of themselves. A rope can be made tight, so that all stretching is
continous and there is no sudden stop.

Aircraft owners should carry their own lines and ensure that they are in
good condition. They should also make sure that their tiedown rings are in
good condition and, if strong winds are expected, should consider
reinforcing the tiedown by giving the line a couple turns around the strut
as well as running it through the tiedown ring.

Even tieing an airplane down is not a guarantee against damage. Winds may
still generate enough lift that the airplane could be damaged anyway. There
is one picture of a severely damaged Bonanza that pulled the concrete
tiedown blocks completely out of the ramp, collapsing the nose, wrinkling
the wings, and probably damaging the wing spars in the process! Tied down
airplanes can still be damaged by flying debris (such as improperly tied
down airplanes) as well as by severe hail and other things caused by the
weather.

Cessna recommends tieing aircraft down at both nose and tail, though this is
rarely done and few tiedowns have provision for doing this. A gust striking
an airplane that is tied only at the tail and wings can still send the tail
slamming down hard on the concrete, breaking it off. Gusty winds can make
the airplane bounce on its nose gear, too, possibly damaging the nose gear,
firewall, engine mount, propeller and engine. The airplane can also be set
on its tail by heavy snow or ice.

Old August 22nd 04, 09:55 AM
Del Rawlins

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 04:35:24 GMT, guynoir
wrote:

An old bush pilot told me they used really long wing tie downs to a
single point and left the tail untied in high winds in Alaska. This
allowed the aircraft to lift off and weathervane in high winds. The
aircraft were staked out far enough apart that they wouldn't collide
with each other. I'd be interested to know if anyone's actually
witnessed that method.

Did the old bush pilot start out by saying "now this ain't no
bull****"?

Old August 22nd 04, 02:46 PM
Jeremy Lew

All the Cherokees of the world seem to use the seatbelt as a gust lock,
which ties the yoke back in full up-elevator and about half aileron
deflection. Seems like this would be terrible in high winds.

"Icebound" wrote in message
news

"Vaughn" wrote in message

"Icebound" wrote in message
news

I am also wondering that even if the tail tiedown stays tight, do the

forces
become great enough such that the fuse breaks at its weakest point,
somewhere just in front of the tail feathers?

Never seen it happen.

Neither have I in person, but some of the pictures from Punta Gorda seem

suggest that it might.

Thus I wonder if leaving the tail loose, and tieing down at the nose

gear
would make more sense.

Only if you can guarantee that the wind will always be coming from

the
front of the plane.

I am not sure I understand why direction is an issue? In the typical
small-GA gust-lock, the tail is set for slight "down elevator".

If the wind is from the front, lifting the tail, that forces the nosewheel
down and its not going anywhere except into the pavement.

If the wind is from the rear, that would force the tail down, and thats

why
the suggestion of nose-gear tie-down to prevent the A/C from rotating on

the
mains.

I would argue that a *tail* tiedown actually expects wind from the front,
and that it is useless when the wind is from the rear......

Old August 22nd 04, 05:17 PM
Ryan Young

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...
The hurricane hitch should be able to withstand winds of 150 knots, given
rope of adequate strength. This is the only knot that should be used for
tieing down aircraft, yet my personal observation is that fewer than one
pilot in 50 knows how to tie it. The knot is described in E.F. Potts' book
on bush piloting.

It's actually FE Potts, and everything you ever need to know about tie
downs can be found he
http://www.fepco.com/BF.images.gentle.breeze.html
Old August 23rd 04, 12:16 AM
Del Rawlins

On 22 Aug 2004 09:17:31 -0700, (Ryan Young) wrote:

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...
The hurricane hitch should be able to withstand winds of 150 knots, given
rope of adequate strength. This is the only knot that should be used for
tieing down aircraft, yet my personal observation is that fewer than one
pilot in 50 knows how to tie it. The knot is described in E.F. Potts' book
on bush piloting.

It's actually FE Potts, and everything you ever need to know about tie
downs can be found he
http://www.fepco.com/BF.images.gentle.breeze.html

The primary advantage of that knot is that it can be tightened in the
middle of high winds without first untying anything. A trucker's
hitch works just fine, but you have to loosen the half hitches holding
it in order to add more tension.

Old August 23rd 04, 04:37 AM
geo

"Icebound" wrote in message
news
Does anybody know of any wind-tunnel tests for analysis of tie-down
behaviour? I tried a google search without much success.

It's amazing that people who spends 10s or 100s of thousands of dollars on a
plane won't spend ~$10.k for a tornado proof, hurricane proof, fire proof
hangar.
http://www.monolithic.com/gallery/co...oor/index.html
http://www.monolithic.com/gallery/commercial/hangars03/

Old August 23rd 04, 07:42 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Kathryn & Stuart Fields wrote:
Why not the "Belt and Suspenders" approach? Tie both ends down.

Yeah, you want to make a stationary target for all of the other planes
on the ramp that break loose.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/