3D Solid State Gyro

Old May 21st 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 3D Solid State Gyro

Thanks, I did know why I didn't think of Google, I use for everything else.;-)

On Sat, 20 May 2006 14:37:08 -0700, "J. Severyn"
wrote:

"GeorgeC" wrote in message
.. .
Can you point me to a tutorial on "3D Solid State gyroscope".

GeorgeC

Short FOG info is at:
http://www.nsd.es.northropgrumman.co...view/index.htm

MEMS units:
http://www.omniinstruments.co.uk/gyro/gyro.html

Both are solid state units. FOG units will give lower drift, but are higher
in price than the MEMS units. There are also other basic designs and most
are tradeoffs between cost, environmental specs and performance. Google
will give you many more hits.

John Severyn
@KLVK

GeorgeC
Old May 21st 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You caught me. I was looking at an advertisement for a handheld and it peeked my
curiosity about solid state gyro's.

On Sat, 20 May 2006 23:29:57 GMT, Bob Moore wrote:

How come I get the impression that he wants information about
the small "hold in the palm of your hand" battery powered
units that I saw for sale at Sun n Fun...about $1500.

Bob Moore

GeorgeC
Old May 21st 06, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

GeorgeC,

You could have put it a little kinder, but thanks.

Sorry, it was late here ;-) Hope you found something - I did when I
tried.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 21st 06, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

GeorgeC,

You caught me. I was looking at an advertisement for a handheld and it peeked my
curiosity about solid state gyro's.

In that case, you're interested in the MEMS type also used by the G1000 and
Avidyne's Entegra.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 21st 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bob Moore wrote:
Jim Macklin wrote

Google for "ring laser gyro" and pick from the returns,
146,000 pages available.

How come I get the impression that he wants information about
the small "hold in the palm of your hand" battery powered
units that I saw for sale at Sun n Fun...about $1500.

Don't some of those "gyros" actually use microelectronic-sized metal
beam with a "weight" on the end. Deflection is proportional to
acceleration. Integrate acceleration to get velocity. Again to get
position. You can do the same thing with rotation. I've always
wondered how accurate those little things are and how they react to heat.

IIRC Stanford University was experimenting with them on a DARPA contract
years back. They wanted to build a wing-leveler by using two such
devices, one on each wing tip.
Old May 22nd 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I did Goggle "Solid State Gyroscope", per your suggestion. All I got were
product description and application suggestion. Next, I'm going to Goggle on
some of the leads I got from the first search.

On Sun, 21 May 2006 10:01:07 +0200, Thomas Borchert

GeorgeC
Old May 22nd 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"GeorgeC" wrote in message
I did Goggle "Solid State Gyroscope", per your suggestion. All I got were
product description and application suggestion. Next, I'm going to Goggle
on
some of the leads I got from the first search.

Also, try piezo electric gyro. They are much lower Tec, drift quite a lot,
and need something to adjust for drift, frequently.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 22nd 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Recently, GeorgeC posted:

I did Goggle "Solid State Gyroscope", per your suggestion. All I got
were product description and application suggestion. Next, I'm going
to Goggle on some of the leads I got from the first search.

Your question got me interested in the subject, so I did a search on the
U.S. Patent & Trademark website for "Fiber Optic Gyroscope" which resulted
in this, among other hits:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/pat...-20060124.html

I still don't quite understand the "no moving parts" claim from the
manufacturers.

Regards,

Neil

Old May 22nd 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Neil Gould" wrote

I still don't quite understand the "no moving parts" claim from the
manufacturers.

So what is moving? Light? That does not qualify as a part, IMHO.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 22nd 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The you've already seen:
http://www.appareo.com/index.php

Al

news

wrote:

How come I get the impression that he wants information about
the small "hold in the palm of your hand" battery powered
units that I saw for sale at Sun n Fun...about $1500.

Bob Moore

GeorgeC

egyro solid state gyro DavidH Home Built 0 October 31st 05 09:23 PM
Backup AI (using solid state gyro) for portable Andrew Gideon Piloting 14 January 27th 05 08:41 AM
Backup AI (using solid state gyro) for portable Andrew Gideon Products 13 January 27th 05 08:41 AM
Solid State Gyro PaulH Owning 2 March 31st 04 03:41 PM
Solid State Gyro;s on Ipaq Ben Flewett Soaring 1 October 13th 03 05:15 PM