Diamond goal flight rejected due to typo

Old June 10th 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

Default Diamond goal flight rejected due to typo

I received an email stating that my diamond goal flight has been
rejected due to a typo on my igc declaration. Despite the fact that
the security was good, all turnpoints rounded ok, and everything else
good, it's still rejected.

On the IGC declaration where it says "registered ID" I typed in "SA"
because that is my paid-for registered contest ID. Apparently I
should have typed in "N-2429". So because of this, the flight doesn't
count.

I was also informed that on page 53 of the March 2010 Soaring
magazine, it says (in 8 point font) that you can no longer use your
register contest ID. This really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to
me. The glider type is in question, not the security, date or name
even though it's not a handicapped claim! I only own one aircraft,
which can be easily verified through the FAA aircraft registry.

So now I am merely trying to figure out the best way to solve this
claim.

Does anyone have any suggestions of who I might contact to help get
this claim to pass? I would really like to say I did a diamond flight
but unfortunately because of this new rule, I can't say I did a
diamond flight.
Old June 10th 10, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Westbender

On Jun 10, 9:08*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:
[...]

Sorry, Badge rules enforcement is arbitrary, not logical. Been there.
Old June 10th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

wrote:
[...]

Scott,

Bummer! The sporting code was updated last October. One of our local
pilots had a Diamond Altitude claim that was invalid for exactly the
same reason. From what I've heard Judy can have some leniency with
silver and gold claims since those are processed at the national level
but Diamond claims are international and get sent to the FAI and they
follow right down to the letter of the law.

I guess you get to go fly the flight again!
Old June 10th 10, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

wrote:
[...]

oh - and you DID do a Diamond Flight!! There is a difference between
a badge flight and a badge performance. the performance part means
you managed to successfully jump through all of the paperwork hoops.
Old June 10th 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Jun 10, 10:08*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:
[...]

Welcome to my world. I went through this a year ago. Same issue.

There is no logic to this. The N number of your glider is easily
verified by the OO, listed on the application over the OO's sig.
Simple. But because in the photo doc days the N number was on the
declaration and this had to be photographed before the flight, the igc
says that the e-declaration must contain the same info. Never mind
that many igc approved flight recorders do not specifically ask you
for this. My C-302, for instance, prompts one for the "competition
ID". And in competition, this is what the scorer wants in that field
(I've asked).

There are many in the SSA that would like to see this sorted out. The
obvious place to go is the badge and record committee chairman, who
(ahem) is probably reading this and cringing (sorry). Judy, as you
have already guessed, takes the other side of the debate.

I did eventually get my 500K approved. I had to be a bit of a pain in
the ass to see this happen, the word was that with the rules revision,
no further exceptions would be allowed.

It does take a lot of the fun out of it, doesn't it?

Good luck.

Evan Ludeman / T8

Old June 10th 10, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

wrote:

[...]

you managed to successfully jump through all of the paperwork hoops.- Hide quoted text -

Congrats on the flight Scott, regardless of the typo!
This subject came up a while back (3-4 months ago??) Your post
prompted me to look at one of my .igc files. I see that I have:
HFGIDGLIDERID:16UF
I don't recall how many characters are allowed, but I'm going to try
making it:
HFGIDGLIDERID:N16UF
just to be safe!
Again, awesome flight!
Jim
Old June 10th 10, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

I've talked to the chairman, who by the way was very nice and
helpful. What I'm looking for more specifically is perhaps someone
that has dealt with this recently and has success dealing with the FAI
leaders. This was my 5th try at Diamond Goal in the past 12 months.
The other 4 were landouts.

I want this time to count. Glad you got it approved Evan....anyone
else have any suggestions?
Old June 10th 10, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wojciech Scigala

Użytkownik Scott Alexander napisał:

I want this time to count. Glad you got it approved Evan....anyone
else have any suggestions?

SC3 (valid 2009 AL0 edition), para 4.2.1.c (declaration content):
- glider type, and its registration _or_ serial number _or_ unique
NAC-assigned contest number.

Are SSA contest IDs unique?

Also, SC3 Annex C, para 1.2:
"OOs and National Claim Officers are encouraged to take the position
that, ensuring the rules are met, their goal is to make awards, not turn
them down for minor errors or oversights that do not affect the proof of
a soaring performance."

An OO's special statement about the glider flown should be enough to
solve the case IMHO.

--
WojtuÅ›.net
Old June 10th 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jun 10, 7:08*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad I got all my diamonds in the days when
a camera, barograph, and the word of my observer were all that
mattered.

Even a person on trial for murder seems to get more "reasonable doubt"
than a badge applicant these days.

Andy
Old June 10th 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

Even a person on trial for murder seems to get more "reasonable doubt"
than a badge applicant these days.

Andy

TOUCHE'!!!