Transfer of IGC log for contest scoring

Old February 21st 07, 10:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Pocock

Default Transfer of IGC log for contest scoring

At 04:12 21 February 2007, Graeme Cant wrote:
Richard wrote:
No Paul I didn't miss the point. The scorer didn't
want to deal with
flight recorders in general,

I was an assistant scorer at the 2006 18m nationals
in the uk and 75% of the IGC files were presented as
loggers rather than cards or sticks.
They were all booked in, downloaded whilst the pilots
and crew were in the bar and were available for them
to be collected at briefing the next morning. We could
not refuse any logger or file in approved format under
the cometition rules. However certain loggers were
more difficult than others to download, Colibri for
example.
Incidentally of the 6 current or ex world or european
champions competing half used loggers and half cards.
Nigel

Old February 21st 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graeme Cant

Richard wrote:
Excuse me Graeme, I forgot that this is Paul's personal advertising
news group.

No Richard. It's NOBODY'S personal advertising group. I said you're
BOTH here on sufferance.

I disagree with your view because it seems to have holes in it. If you
advertise on ras (which I'm happy to have you do), you must also accept
that you're open to differing views.

I have been part of a scoring group which accepted loggers. I would
never accept loggers again but if the EW works as described, I would
make it an exception.

The whole discussion's probably moot anyhow because most comps here seem
to have wireless networks now. Very few physical objects at all are
handed in.

GC

Richard

On Feb 20, 8:11 pm, Graeme Cant gcantinter@tnodedotnet wrote:
Richard wrote:
No Paul I didn't miss the point. The scorer didn't want to deal with
flight recorders in general, if one then why not all questions,

If you mean what I think you thought you meant ( ), the reason to
make an exception for the EW is that downloading doesn't require a
special program or cables or special knowledge - unlike all previous
loggers.

It's a memory stick just like all the others that scorers are demanding!

and
they don't want to provide security for recorders that are left in the
scoring office or just in the hanger.

So. No security for 50 or so cards and sticks? No security for the
scorers' laptops? No security for the scorer's data on the laptops?
Try again, Richard.

... In short the scorers in the
contests I was in just didn't want to deal with flight recorders.

No. They didn't want to deal with EXISTING flight recorders. This one
sounds great and I'd be happy as a scorer to have one handed in. MUCH
happier than to be given a Colibri or Volkslogger, both of which I would
hand back and say - put it on a stick.

If you're going to get grumpy with Paul, we're going to make you stand
in the corner for a month. You're both only here on sufferance.

GC

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
On Feb 20, 8:57 am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,
I think you and Richard are missing the point about how easy the EW
microRecorder is to use. You connect it to your PC using a standard USB
cable and it looks exactly like a card reader or hard drive to the PC. The
scorer can copy and paste the files from the EW to the PC in exactly the
same way he/she copies files from a card reader. There is no software or
drivers required. It is extremely simple. Once you see it in action you
will most likely agree that no scorer will have a problem with connecting to
the logger because it doesn't act like a logger - it acts like a card
reader.
I agree that it is nice that the new Colibri has a built-in microSD card
reader because then the scorer won't need to use LXe or SeeYou or StrePla to
copy flight logs from the Colibri.
Good Soaring,
Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
"Bert Willing" wrote in message
Because they don't want to get into anything which looks like a cable
connector. USB sticks or SD cards are simply shown as drives after
insertion, and you pull the respective file.
"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
I don't see why a EW miroRecorder would be less convenient that a USB
stick. Maybe the technology associated with the ON/OFF switch is too much
for the scorer to handle.- Hide quoted text -

Old February 21st 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cliff Hilty[_2_]

Its not so much the security issue for me, its the
giving someone else my $1000 dollar logger instead
of a $5 SD card. I for one am really interested in
the EW microrecorder with a SD card built in. I'll
order one the day after they do that!

CH Ventus B

OLC Scoring [email protected] Soaring 2 June 13th 06 03:01 AM
OLC scoring - USA Ian Cant Soaring 18 November 29th 05 07:43 PM
OLC scoring - USA Ian Cant Soaring 0 November 28th 05 03:09 AM
Inaccurate Contest Scoring Bill Feldbaumer Soaring 21 June 14th 04 02:56 PM
History of Contest Scoring Bill Feldbaumer Soaring 8 October 8th 03 02:14 PM