Air Force Museum At Elgin?

Old September 23rd 04, 02:25 AM
matheson31

Hurlburt's AirPark took some serious damage. The Porter was overturned and
the O-2 is missing.

Les Matheson
F-4C(WW)/D/E/G(WW), AC-130A, MC-130E WSO/EWO (ret)

From: Orval Fairbairn
Date: 9/21/2004 1:12 PM Central Daylight Time

In article ,

From: "Kyle Boatright"

Date: 9/20/2004 9:47 PM Central Daylight Time

The F-104's gear has collapsed, nothing repacking and servicing

couldn't

cure.
The RF-4C's left wing wasn't locked down so it folded up. Assuming

it
wasn't a
major slam it willeasily be lowered. The only aircraft that appears
damaged is
the B-17G. A tree landed on it's right wing tip. The tree is

obscuring
the
tip,
but I can't imagine anything serious was done.

I don't know about inside since it is not open. There is a piece of
roofing
membrane and several pieces of corrugated steel on the grounds so

who
knows.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Amazing. Doesn't the museum have a U-2 and a B-57F parked outside.

I'd
have thought those low wing loading and built to razor thin structural
margin airframes would have been damaged. Glad that doesn't seem to

be
the
case? Do they still have an SR?

KB

The SR-71 longtail is still there and looks healthy. They never had a

U-2
since
they can't drop bombs or fire guns. It's an the Armament Museum. I

can't
remember which model of B-57 it is, but I don't think it's a stretch

wing.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

IIRC, they also have a B-47 at the Armaments Museum. The SOF also have a
museum at Hurlburt Field, which probably took more damage than Eglin.

The B-47 looks OK. I suspect it will be a week or so before I get to

Hurlburt.
Traffic is madness.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old September 24th 04, 11:58 AM
RobbelothE

The O-2 is there. I drove by it yesterday.
Ed

Not Fonda Kerry