USAF(?) unit patch ID

Old April 4th 04, 01:59 PM
Allen Thomson

Default USAF(?) unit patch ID

Anybody know what this is or was?

http://www.darkstar.ukonline.co.uk/patch2.jpg
Old April 4th 04, 03:32 PM
George Z. Bush

"Allen Thomson" wrote in message
om...
Anybody know what this is or was?

http://www.darkstar.ukonline.co.uk/patch2.jpg

Just as a WAG, I think it's probably safe to say that whatever its origins, they
are more than likely NOT American.

George Z.

Old April 4th 04, 05:58 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:32:09 -0400, "George Z. Bush"
wrote:

"Allen Thomson" wrote in message
. com...
Anybody know what this is or was?

http://www.darkstar.ukonline.co.uk/patch2.jpg

Just as a WAG, I think it's probably safe to say that whatever its origins, they
are more than likely NOT American.

George Z.

I thought that initially as well, but the US map shows a star at about
the location of Davis-Monthan. I'm betting, since the only part of the
Latin I can decipher has something to do with a lot of nights, that
it's either a special ops patch or maybe a strategic recce patch, as
in U-2.

Any Latin linquists in the house?

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old April 4th 04, 06:24 PM
John

Ed Rasimus wrote:

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:32:09 -0400, "George Z. Bush"

Anybody know what this is or was?

http://www.darkstar.ukonline.co.uk/patch2.jpg

I thought that initially as well, but the US map shows a star at about
the location of Davis-Monthan. I'm betting, since the only part of the
Latin I can decipher has something to do with a lot of nights, that
it's either a special ops patch or maybe a strategic recce patch, as
in U-2.

Any Latin linquists in the house?

Ed Rasimus

Been a lot of years since I took Latin, but very roughly.

Late at Night / De Multa Nocte

Don't Ask / Noli Rogare

Classis Caece / Fleet ????

Old April 4th 04, 06:56 PM
ArVa

"John" a écrit dans le message de
Ed Rasimus wrote:

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:32:09 -0400, "George Z. Bush"

Anybody know what this is or was?

http://www.darkstar.ukonline.co.uk/patch2.jpg

I thought that initially as well, but the US map shows a star at about
the location of Davis-Monthan. I'm betting, since the only part of the
Latin I can decipher has something to do with a lot of nights, that
it's either a special ops patch or maybe a strategic recce patch, as
in U-2.

Any Latin linquists in the house?

Ed Rasimus

Been a lot of years since I took Latin, but very roughly.

Late at Night / De Multa Nocte

Don't Ask / Noli Rogare

Classis Caece / Fleet ????

I'd translate "Caece" with "Blind". For the rest, I've made the same
translation.

It might well be the Area 51/Dry Groom lake's unit patch rather than some
Davis Monthan AFB unit's one. Roughly the same location on the map and
obviously very mysterious... :-)

ArVa

Old April 4th 04, 07:08 PM
Eystein Roll Aarseth

wrote:

"Allen Thomson" wrote in message
om...
Anybody know what this is or was?

http://www.darkstar.ukonline.co.uk/patch2.jpg

Just as a WAG, I think it's probably safe to say that whatever its
origins, they
are more than likely NOT American.

I thought that initially as well, but the US map shows a star at about
the location of Davis-Monthan. I'm betting, since the only part of the
Latin I can decipher has something to do with a lot of nights, that
it's either a special ops patch or maybe a strategic recce patch, as
in U-2.

Any Latin linquists in the house?

Well, I'm certainly not a latin linguist, but a web search helped
a bit: I found URL:http://www.ancts.org/resources/chadwick/

CLASSIS -is, f. 1 A group of persons or things sharing a common
attribute, class:

CAECE, adv. Blindly

MULCTA -ae, f. also MULTA. A monetary penalty, fine

NOCTU, adv. By night

No hits for "NOLI"

No hits for "ROGARE", but maybe it's a conjugation
of ROGATIO -onis, f. The act of asking, request

So, whatever it is, they come by night and take your money
without asking? Sounds like a recon/spec ops thing, yes.

EAa - waiting for some latin scholar to yell about stupid
amateurs.
--
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNK!
Old April 5th 04, 12:46 AM
Erik Von Erich

(Allen Thomson) wrote in message . com...
Anybody know what this is or was?

http://www.darkstar.ukonline.co.uk/patch2.jpg

You could try submitting it to the following website that attempts to
identify unknown USAF patches or you could plow through their archives
and see if it's there.

http://www.usafpatches.com/unknown.shtml
Old April 5th 04, 12:59 AM
Allen Thomson

"Eystein Roll Aarseth" wrote \

Well, I'm certainly not a latin linguist, but a web search helped
a bit: I found URL:http://www.ancts.org/resources/chadwick/

[Snip]

My last serious encounter with Latin was around the time Gagarin
was in orbit, but I've found another couple of possibilities
for the "Classis Caece" part:

From http://www.bible-history.com/latin/latin_c.html

caeco -are, to make blind or dark.

caecus -a -um: act., blind, not seeing; intellectually or
morally blind; uncertain, objectless; pass., unseen, hidden,
obscure, dark.

classis -is, f. a group as summoned, a division, class.
(1) one of the classes into which Servius Tullius divided the
Roman people.
(2) the armed forces, esp. the fleet.
(3) in gen., a class, group.

There is also one assertion in a Usenet discussion that,

"A classis means 'a call to arms'; The above (KLASIS) is
Doric of the Attic KLHSIS (the calling)"

So "a hidden call to arms" or "an unseen fleet" or both ???????
If so, it suggests some WWMCCS/GCCS-like function.

Note that the three little spooks have their mouths open,
as if they're calling out something. EEEWWWOOO, maybe. :-)
Old April 5th 04, 01:33 AM
raymond o'hara

From http://www.bible-history.com/latin/latin_c.html

caeco -are, to make blind or dark.

caecus -a -um: act., blind, not seeing; intellectually or
morally blind; uncertain, objectless; pass., unseen, hidden,
obscure, dark.

classis -is, f. a group as summoned, a division, class.
(1) one of the classes into which Servius Tullius divided the
Roman people.
(2) the armed forces, esp. the fleet.
(3) in gen., a class, group.

There is also one assertion in a Usenet discussion that,

"A classis means 'a call to arms'; The above (KLASIS) is
Doric of the Attic KLHSIS (the calling)"

So "a hidden call to arms" or "an unseen fleet" or both ???????
If so, it suggests some WWMCCS/GCCS-like function.

Note that the three little spooks have their mouths open,
as if they're calling out something. EEEWWWOOO, maybe. :-)

maybe it's a stleath bomber/ fighter squadron patch

Old April 5th 04, 05:33 AM
Mary Shafer

wrote:

I thought that initially as well, but the US map shows a star at about
the location of Davis-Monthan. I'm betting, since the only part of the
Latin I can decipher has something to do with a lot of nights, that
it's either a special ops patch or maybe a strategic recce patch, as
in U-2.

How about Holloman, not Davis-Monthan? There are F-117s at Holloman.

Mary

Oil Temperature sending unit Corky Scott Home Built 2 October 19th 04 12:58 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 05:26 PM
D.C. Air Guard Unit Flies New 737s Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 15th 04 12:12 AM
A-4 / A-7 Question Tank Fixer Military Aviation 135 October 25th 03 03:59 AM
Chevy 4.3 L V-6 and Misbehaving Engine Control Unit Bushy Home Built 6 August 18th 03 09:33 AM