WSI weather?

Old December 4th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Matt W. Barrow

Default WSI weather?

"Peter Clark" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:49:47 -0700, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:

Does the TAP ad say it has a Garmin something or other? Usually the WSI
airborne system is use for the AviDyne MFD.

Anybody know about cost compared with XM?"

Since that's in-flight, perhaps Paul was looking at the wrong product
in the WSI price list, since the original query seems to be
specifically about their airborne equipment as found in listings found
on Trade-A-Plane.

WSI in-flight is more typically used with AviDyne and other higher end
avionics like the stuff from Honeywell and Universal. It would be good to
know what the TAP ad's showed regarding the rest of the avionics suite
aboard.

Not according to WSI.
http://www.wsi.com/aviation/products...t/displays.asp

They seem to be able to display on all sorts of stuff, including
EHSIs, EFBs, laptops, and PDAs.

Geez...

Strange the King KMD550/850 isn't listed.

The King system is proprietary and transmitters are land-based, not
satellite.

The Garmin 430/530 and MX20
(GMX200) are though. It doesn't need an Avidyne MFD system like an
SR22 to run.

Old December 4th 07, 11:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 21:55:50 -0700, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:

Strange the King KMD550/850 isn't listed.

The King system is proprietary and transmitters are land-based, not
satellite.

The King KDR510 is their ground uplink system, the KDR610 is their new
XM WXWorx based system. I was just saying that I found it strange
that the King KMD550/850 (their MFD box as found in lots of Nav II
Cessna aircraft) wasn't on the list of units that could display the
weather from the WSI unit.
Old December 4th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

If he's talking about the AV300, it's not $5000, even with installation.
It's quite equivalent to the Garmin 69/A.

Pilotbrief Pro, is about $5,000 and provides briefing services.

I was making an assumption that a GDL69 would have to be used, and my
understanding is that those run around $5,000.

it does appear that WSI has their own receivers, but I'm not clear
about pricing and what they interface with.
Old December 4th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

On Dec 3, 1:39 pm, Darrel Toepfer wrote:
http://bushnell.com/gps/gps_onix400....xm_weather.cfm

Subscription Pricing Plans
XM Satellite Radio (only)
$12.95 / month
Less than $0.50 per day!

XM Weather (only)
Price - $9.95

XM Radio & XM Weather
Price - $16.94

I have to wonder how complete the weather is. I couldn't tell from
the site but I bet it's only nexrad and 3-day forecasts. I bet
there's no metars, tafs, etc that pilots would need.
Old December 4th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

xyzzy wrote:
On Dec 3, 1:39 pm, Darrel Toepfer wrote:
http://bushnell.com/gps/gps_onix400....xm_weather.cfm

Subscription Pricing Plans
XM Satellite Radio (only)
$12.95 / month
Less than $0.50 per day!

XM Weather (only)
Price - $9.95

XM Radio & XM Weather
Price - $16.94

I have to wonder how complete the weather is. I couldn't tell from
the site but I bet it's only nexrad and 3-day forecasts. I bet
there's no metars, tafs, etc that pilots would need.

Wonder no more. The only $9.99 XM weather package I was ablt to find was in
their Marine Skywatch package.

Here's what the package includes. Radar Summary,Radar Coverage, City
Forecasts, Weather Warnings & Surface Observations.

Old December 4th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"xyzzy" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 1:39 pm, Darrel Toepfer wrote:
http://bushnell.com/gps/gps_onix400....xm_weather.cfm

Subscription Pricing Plans
XM Satellite Radio (only)
$12.95 / month
Less than $0.50 per day!

XM Weather (only)
Price - $9.95

XM Radio & XM Weather
Price - $16.94

I have to wonder how complete the weather is. I couldn't tell from
the site but I bet it's only nexrad and 3-day forecasts. I bet
there's no metars, tafs, etc that pilots would need.

That was my thought.

The unit looks like it is lacking in almost everything a pilot would want to
have in a GPS. The view of aerial pictures of the current location is a
neat gimmick, but also probably not too useful for pilots.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 4th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 12/3/2007 5:57:41 PM, Peter Clark wrote:

Not according to WSI.
http://www.wsi.com/aviation/products...t/displays.asp

They seem to be able to display on all sorts of stuff, including
EHSIs, EFBs, laptops, and PDAs.

I have WSI downlink in my Bonanza and it is displayed on my Garmin MX20
moving map. Occasionally the WSI receiver causes the MX20, which is running a
flavor of Windows NT, to crash. Fun, fun, fun.

Pretty soon I will be sending the Bonanza in for the WSI receiver upgrade
that all WSI customers must do before spring 08. WSI is switching satellite
carriers to the Sirius system, which hopefully will make the datalink more
reliable than in the past.

--
Peter
Old December 4th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 07:39:03 -0800 (PST), Paul kgyy
wrote:

If he's talking about the AV300, it's not $5000, even with installation.
It's quite equivalent to the Garmin 69/A.

Pilotbrief Pro, is about $5,000 and provides briefing services.

I was making an assumption that a GDL69 would have to be used, and my
understanding is that those run around $5,000.

GDL69 provides XM WxWorx package and wouldn't be subscribing to WSI at
all.