Replacing Battered POH

Old February 11th 04, 10:35 PM
Marco Leon

Default Replacing Battered POH

How does one go about replacing a POH in poor condition with another
"official" copy? I've been contemplating slowly re-doing the POH for my
Warrior but nixed the idea not knowing the regs.

A Google search showed up negative on this query.

Marco

Old February 11th 04, 10:59 PM
Bob Noel

In article , "Marco Leon"
mleon(at)optonline.net wrote:

How does one go about replacing a POH in poor condition with another
"official" copy? I've been contemplating slowly re-doing the POH for my
Warrior but nixed the idea not knowing the regs.

call Piper and purchase a new one for your aircraft. Give
them the serial number and they can sell you an official
POH for your warrior.

--
Bob Noel
Old February 12th 04, 04:21 AM

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:59:41 GMT, Bob Noel
wrote:

In article , "Marco Leon"
mleon(at)optonline.net wrote:

How does one go about replacing a POH in poor condition with another
"official" copy? I've been contemplating slowly re-doing the POH for my
Warrior but nixed the idea not knowing the regs.

call Piper and purchase a new one for your aircraft. Give
them the serial number and they can sell you an official
POH for your warrior.

Yup. When you get it, make sure that you transfer all the original
equipment list entries (usually crappy little stamped X's) into the
new one. For some reason, they tend to come through "blank". The
original w & b numbers will be in there, make sure to transfer any
changes into the new one also.

Had planes come through for an annual after POH replacement where none
of the above had been done, and the "original" pitched.

Didn't care for it much.

TC

Old February 12th 04, 02:40 PM
James M. Knox

Bob Noel wrote in
:

How does one go about replacing a POH in poor condition with another
"official" copy?

call Piper and purchase a new one for your aircraft. Give
them the serial number and they can sell you an official
POH for your warrior.

You can indeed buy a new one, but it will be expensive (used to be
around $400). You can buy a new PIM for about 10% of that price. The
PIM can not replace the POH, but guess what - 99% of the pages are the
same.

The PIM is nothing but a POH that doesn't have the aircraft's serial
number on it, and hence isn't FAA approved for the aircraft.

My suggestion: Purchase a new PIM. [From Essco, or maybe even from
your local FBO/Flight_school.] Replace all the pages in your POH with
the same pages from the PIM, where they are identical. This should
leave you with only a few pages - the cover pages, the change page, and
the added pages (W&B changes). Any of those that are falling apart,
either photocopy or laminate. Keep all the original pages you removed
in a drawer at home, just in case you ever get some anal examiner. You
*may* find that you have as little as two pages left from the old POH.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
Old February 12th 04, 03:45 PM
Marco Leon

My cover page with the serial number is actually the worst page and I did
make a photocopy as you said keeping the original at home. I called Piper
and asked for a replacement POH. They quoted me $33 for part number 761-619.
Since it had a part number, I thought it was an official replacement but
your $400 price quote makes me think twice. After all, that price DOES sound
in-line with every other part (e.g. $6,000 wheel pants!)

Time for another phone call...

Marco

"James M. Knox" wrote in message
Bob Noel wrote in
:

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 12th 04, 04:03 PM
real_name

In article ,
"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net wrote:

My cover page with the serial number is actually the worst page and I did
make a photocopy as you said keeping the original at home. I called Piper
and asked for a replacement POH. They quoted me $33 for part number 761-619.
Since it had a part number, I thought it was an official replacement but
your $400 price quote makes me think twice. After all, that price DOES sound
in-line with every other part (e.g. $6,000 wheel pants!)

Time for another phone call...

my replacement POH for me cherokee didn't cost $400. The $33 you were
quoted sounds about right (I got it a little more than a year ago).
Old February 12th 04, 05:11 PM
Kyler Laird

"James M. Knox" writes:

My suggestion: Purchase a new PIM. [From Essco, or maybe even from
your local FBO/Flight_school.] Replace all the pages in your POH with
the same pages from the PIM, where they are identical. This should
leave you with only a few pages - the cover pages, the change page, and
the added pages (W&B changes). Any of those that are falling apart,
either photocopy or laminate. Keep all the original pages you removed
in a drawer at home, just in case you ever get some anal examiner.

What does that mean? Photocopies are *not* as good as the originals?
What if you get nailed on a ramp check? If the copies aren't sufficient,
having the originals at home isn't going to help, is it?

(I'd like to replace the decomposing pages of my POH with copies.)

--kyler
Old February 12th 04, 09:39 PM
Mike Z.

Doesn't it make a difference what year the plane is?

I forget what year they started the serialized POH's

Specifically does my '76 Skyhawk need the expensive one or is the cheap one OK.

Mike Z

Old February 13th 04, 02:46 PM
James M. Knox

"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net wrote in
:

My cover page with the serial number is actually the worst page and I
did make a photocopy as you said keeping the original at home. I
called Piper and asked for a replacement POH. They quoted me $33 for
part number 761-619. Since it had a part number, I thought it was an
official replacement but your $400 price quote makes me think twice.

Yes, make another call and make sure that you are getting a POH -- i.e.
it will have YOUR serial number in it. Maybe they have gotten
reasonable on their prices, but somehow I doubt it. The $33 does seem
quite reasonable for the non-seralized version of the POH, but that is
not a legal replacement.

One possible issue another poster raised? Do you actually HAVE a POH?
What year is your plane? It may be that all they have is a PIM and not
a POH. I don't recall exactly what year they changed over, mid-70's or
a little earlier.

Lastly, the question asked about a photocopy. No, I don't know of any
FAA ruling about photocopies of the POH pages - meaning each FSDO makes
it up as they go along. I suspect most ramp check guys won't care.
True, having the original at home is of no legal bearing, but it does
allow you to (should it EVER come up) put it back in the plane. Just
don't throw it away. [Laminate the durn thing, if you want to.]

Old February 13th 04, 04:09 PM
Marco Leon

Not sure how Cessnas work but my 1978 Warrior II has the serial number in
the POH. I'm waiting for a callback from Piper but they guy thinks the
"official" serial-numbered POH is about $75 and definitely under $100. I'll
post again with the price when I get it.

Marco

"Mike Z." wrote in message
ink.net...
Doesn't it make a difference what year the plane is?

I forget what year they started the serialized POH's

Specifically does my '76 Skyhawk need the expensive one or is the cheap

one OK.

Mike Z

"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net wrote in message

How does one go about replacing a POH in poor condition with another
"official" copy? I've been contemplating slowly re-doing the POH for my
Warrior but nixed the idea not knowing the regs.

A Google search showed up negative on this query.

Marco

News==----

Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption =---

http://www.usenet.com