OLV GPS 36 approach question

Old August 10th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default OLV GPS 36 approach question

John Clonts wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:

John Clonts wrote:

wrote:

It seems to me you are ignoring the depiction of the southern sector on
the map view that shows 2800. This applies to aircraft inbound to
DOCAP from anywhere southern. Why are you saying that it does not
apply? (I.e. why is the controller allowed to clear the a/c to DOCAP
and descend to 2100?).

2,100 applies at DOCAP per the IAP. The MVA is 2,000 to the west of
DOCAP and 2,100 to the east.

Yes but I am talking about *prior to* DOCAP. 2800 applies prior to
DOCAP per the IAP. If ATC clears an a/c to 2100 prior to DOCAP is it
(1) a controller error which should be refused by the pilot, or (2) ok
because somehow "mva trumps iap arrival sector altitude"?

Again, a more consistent handling with the IAP profile and human-factors
would have been for ATC to assign 2,800 to DOCAP.

Under the present wording in the ATC Handbook MVA trumps the
direct-entry sector's altitude.

Another way to look at it is the IAP begins at the IF based on the
clearance.

An anology would be a "true" vector to final, say a 30 degree cut to the
approach course 2 miles inside DOCAP. 2,100 would be an acceptable
controller assignment in that case.

The new application might work better with a restriction to not assign
an altitude below the IF crossing altitude. But, that is not how it
reads at present.
Old August 10th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Prior to the new change a clearance direct to DOCAP would have
required
a course reversal. No one was doing that, though, thus the pressure
for
the change.

But the TAA has had a NoPT sector for a straight-in ever since its
inception.

As far as I can tell, this new rule only affects Non-TAA RNav
approaches.

Old August 10th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

A Lieberma wrote:

Too new and green to know any difference *smile*.

Been in the IA world for two years, and everytime I launch, it's a new
experience!

Allen

For future reference, if in doubt about an altitude assignment,
especially when it is below what seems reasonable, just request the
higher altitude.

It's important to keep the controller's expectations in sync with your's.
Old August 10th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The new procedure does not exclude RNAV IAPs with TAAs.

I know, but it appears it is irrelevant for TAA's.

I could have gone straight-in if cleared direct to DOCAP anywhere
within
the straight-in TAA sector. I could not have accepted an altitude of
less than 2,800 in that case, though.

And why is that? "Skyhawk 1234X, cleared direct to DOCAP, maintain
2,100 until established, cleared RNAV 18 Olive Branch."

Since DOCAP is and has always been labeled as an IAF, how is this any
different from being given MVA direct to any other IAF on non-RNAV
approaches, something that is done a thousand times every day?

Old August 10th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

thus once cleared for the approach you are operating below the
minimum segment altitude while on a published IAP segment. You don't
do that on the thousands of other IAPs.

In the example cited, the clearance didn't start until DOCAP. Prior to
that, he was on a "direct clearance". If you hold that that is
invalid, then it seems that the same logic applies to any direct
clearance that happens to either cross or coincide with an airway or
feeder route.

1) If I cross an airway at MVA that is lower than MEA on a direct
clearance, then am I in violation of 91.177?

2) If I am tracking a radial that happens to coincide with a feeder
route, then am I in violation of 91.177 when I'm below the published
altitude, even though I've never been cleared for the feeder route?

Old August 10th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Tim Auckland

To me, the issue hinges on whether the controller thought he was
issuing a clearance based on the traditional method of clearing the
plane to the IAF.
In this case, it's my belief that the controller made a mistake, and
should have assigned 2800 as the altititude.

If, on the hand, the controller was intending to follow the new
procedure of "direct clearance to an intermediate fix", then 2100 is
appropriate, but the controller should have advised the pilot to
"expect clearance direct to the Intermediate Fix" while the plane was
at least 5 miles from the fix.
The OP didn't indicate whether or not he was advised of this.

The controller's instructions for the new procedure can be found at:

http://www.faa.gov/ATPUBS/ATC/Chp4/atc0408.html#4-8-1

Tim.