Replacing innertubes without replacing tires?

Old October 26th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ben Jackson

Default Replacing innertubes without replacing tires?

I picked up a set of airstop-style tubes in my last AC Spruce order. I
was reviewing tire maintenance procedures and saw a recommendation that
you not re-use innertubes because they set slightly stretched and there's
a risk of pinching or folding them when they are reinstalled.

So, considering these tubes are new and my tires are decidedly NOT, would
I be "wasting" the new tubes on the old tires, or would it be okay to
reuse them on a future new tire?

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 26th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gene Seibel

I have reused tubes a number of times, usually successfully. When I
took them out after the second use, there was evidence that some folds
had developed. Once out of perhaps a dozen times did one develop a
small leak at the end of a fold.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old October 26th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RK Henry

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:30:56 -0500, Ben Jackson wrote:

I picked up a set of airstop-style tubes in my last AC Spruce order. I
was reviewing tire maintenance procedures and saw a recommendation that
you not re-use innertubes because they set slightly stretched and there's
a risk of pinching or folding them when they are reinstalled.

So, considering these tubes are new and my tires are decidedly NOT, would
I be "wasting" the new tubes on the old tires, or would it be okay to
reuse them on a future new tire?

How "decidedly not" new are the existing tires? If they're going to be
replaced soon, you could store the tubes until you need them. Of
course you run the risk that you might sell the airplane before that.

A&Ps have replaced several tires on my Warrior without replacing the
tubes. They always told me that they don't replace tubes as long as
there's nothing wrong with them. One time I finally had them put new
tubes in my old tires. For all I could tell, those tubes may have been
on the airplane since it was new. The new tubes really cut down on air
loss from the tires.

RK Henry
Old October 26th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Terry

I've done it. No problem, my advice is to use talc powder inside the
tire. Use
plenty and the "new" tube will slip in the old tire with no hang-ups.

You can do it!

Terry
N6401F

Old October 26th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

"Terry" wrote in message
. net...
I've done it. No problem, my advice is to use talc powder inside the tire.
Use
plenty and the "new" tube will slip in the old tire with no hang-ups.

You can do it!

Terry
N6401F

I put my tubes and tires on my plane recently and since my wife was heading
to the store I asked her to pick me up some talc. She brings in what she
said was the only powder she could find with talc instead of corn starch. I
have the prettiest smelling tires at the airport.

Old October 27th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Fly

Talc powder helps alot. I always inflate then let the air completely out
again which should allow any folds or such to relax.

Some tubes have molding lines which can signal how much the tube has fretted
inside the tire. If a close inspection doesn't reveal much wear or
abrasion, I'll reuse them.

Kent Felkins

Old October 27th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ben Jackson

On 2006-10-26, RK Henry wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:30:56 -0500, Ben Jackson wrote:

How "decidedly not" new are the existing tires? If they're going to be
replaced soon, you could store the tubes until you need them. Of
course you run the risk that you might sell the airplane before that.

They're not new but they don't seem to be wearing out. So as you say,
they might have a long, happy life ahead of them, in which case I'd
like to get the new tubes in and quit inflating them all the time!

A&Ps have replaced several tires on my Warrior without replacing the
tubes. They always told me that they don't replace tubes as long as
there's nothing wrong with them.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old November 1st 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I never knew you were supposed to replace tubes. I went 30 years
on a set in my Bonanza.

Now that they are replaced, I can say the new ones leak about
as much as the 30 year old ones.

Bill Hale

Old November 1st 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

On 2006-11-01, wrote:

Now that they are replaced, I can say the new ones leak about
as much as the 30 year old ones.

My new ones are butyl based (not "airstop", but another brand). They
should hold their air much longer.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/

Fill them with Nitrogen they won't leak as much. Not that I've tried it.

Shelf Life of [Spare] Tires? [email protected] Soaring 8 November 16th 05 07:03 PM
airing tires Fly Owning 6 August 30th 05 04:24 AM
Replacing Cobra trailer 13 inch tires with larger? Andy Blackburn Soaring 6 August 19th 04 03:15 AM
WTB: Good Set 500 x 5 Wheels, Tires and Brakes Steve Sharp Restoration 0 March 20th 04 04:48 AM
Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying - resolution chris Soaring 6 October 26th 03 03:50 PM