Mic for Microair 760

Old May 31st 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Edwin Funk

Default Mic for Microair 760

I have an 11 yr old Microair 760 that has recently been updated for all
suggested modifications, and I need to replace the electret microphone due
weak transmission modulation. What works with this type of radio? A
sales
person has suggested a Peiker amplified dynamic mic, but I would
appreciate
hearing from those who have experience with this type radio.

Thanks
Old May 31st 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry[_5_]

Telex 66T works in all the airplane radios I'm familiar with,
including all the gliders in our club. You can buy one new or find one
on ebay.

Larry
Old May 31st 09, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henryk Birecki

The one I am using came from Microair (boom mike). Before I got it I
played around with amplifying electret mike and it worked reasonably,
but not nearly as well.

Cheers,
Henryk

Old May 31st 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On May 31, 8:30*am, Edwin Funk
wrote:
I have an 11 yr old Microair 760 that has recently been updated for all
suggested modifications, and I need to replace the electret microphone due
weak transmission modulation. *What works with this type of radio? *A
sales
person has suggested a Peiker amplified dynamic mic, but I would
appreciate
hearing from those who have experience with this type radio.

Thanks

As you say, you probably need a new mike. But, there is an microphone
modulation gain adjustment screw on the side of the radio - usually
inside a hole covered by a paper stick on label. As the radio comes
out of the box the mike gain is set up for an airplane with engine
noise. Check you manual.

Pilots of noisy airplanes tend to shout into their mikes so the mike
gain is set low to prevent over modulation. Glider pilots speak more
softly in their quieter cockpits so need the mike gain increased.
(Notice to 'you know who': Shouting into the mike doesn't make the
radio transmit farther.)

I set mine by having a glider pilot/Ham radio operator with a known-
good radio listen to my transmissions as I slowly increased the mike
gain. I tried to speak in the same voice I'd use in flight. When the
Ham reported over modulation, I backed the gain screw off a half turn
and retested for a clean 5x5 transmission. It's worked fine since.

Bill D
Old June 1st 09, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Have a look at my website www.swiftavionics.com.au
You'll find the mic you want there!!
Cheers
MArk

Old June 1st 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 31, 9:05*am, Larry wrote:
Telex 66T works in all the airplane radios I'm familiar with,
including all the gliders in our club. You can buy one new or find one
on ebay.

Larry

Call Tim at Wings and Wheels. I got a mic for my Microair from him and
it works great!!!!

Warren

Microair 720 f/s [email protected] Soaring 0 October 26th 06 03:39 AM
Microair 760 Ian K Soaring 2 August 29th 06 12:59 PM
Microair 760 Ian K Soaring 2 January 21st 06 10:39 PM
Parts for sale Microair radio and Microair transponder User Home Built 2 December 14th 05 11:23 PM
Any Microair 760 service?????? Juan E Jimenez Home Built 0 July 23rd 03 01:53 AM