Paper Maps Cockpit -- What do you do? Moving Map Display

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 1st 14, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default Paper Maps Cockpit -- What do you do? Moving Map Display

I still like to fly with paper sectionals in the cockpit, especially in contests with marked up TP numbers and landout options. GlidePlan, Matt Heron's program, worked quite well at pasting together maps with waypoint info. Although, his sectionals have not been kept up to date... now about 3yrs old..

Although, I must admit, I rarely look at the paper. LK8000 maps with TPs, landout sites and airspace mostly make up for the paper sectionals (SeeYou Mobile or other more expensive moving map display avionics do the same). Recently I was getting a bit low and grabbed my dog eared sectional to read the tower frequency. Unfortunately, it was on the map crease and the numbers were unreadable. Do Lynn Alleys Soaringdata.info *.cups files have the tower/ATIS frequencies? I know, that I can add them.

QUESTION: What is your practice with respect to using paper maps in the cockpit or moving map displays for airspace/airport information?

I found that using my mini Ipad was not practical in my Discus 2A cockpit.

I'm more interested in practical solutions, not the legal ramifications from FARs of having navigation/aeronautical database info in the cockpit.

Can Lynn Alley's sectionals (which are up to date) easily be printed out from SeeYou or other programs to replace GlidePlan?

Would like to hear your opinions and solutions.

Walt Rogers WX