Prop Strike in Milwaukee

Old September 30th 04, 02:21 PM
Ben Smith

Default Prop Strike in Milwaukee

When I heard this on the news, I assumed this happened at one of the MKE
area airports, but it was actually in someone's back yard.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/sep04/262562.asp

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old September 30th 04, 03:26 PM
Ben Smith

Strange, it's now requiring registration.. I'll see if I can find a way to
post the article in the group.

The jist... A guy was working on an aircraft engine in his back yard, and
was stuck by the prop.

Old September 30th 04, 04:29 PM
Peter R.

Ben Smith ) wrote:

Strange, it's now requiring registration.. I'll see if I can find a way to
post the article in the group.

The jist... A guy was working on an aircraft engine in his back yard, and
was stuck by the prop.

Huh, I was able to read it without having to register.

--
Peter

Old September 30th 04, 09:41 PM
Morgans

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
Sudden Human Stoppage! Cannot Overhaul, Wonder How Much That's Going to
Cost.

Now, that really sucks. No, you really suck, for saying such a crass thing.
That was someone's dad, and husband that died.

You are beyond hope.

Plonk.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old September 30th 04, 10:49 PM
lance smith

odd... it didn't ask me for login/registration... maybe your first
visit is 'free'?

-lance smith

************************************************** *8
http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/sep04/262562.asp

Propeller accident kills West Allis man
By KELLY WELLS

A 68-year-old West Allis man was killed Tuesday afternoon when he was
struck by the propeller on an airplane engine he was working on in his
backyard, neighbors said.

West Allis police confirmed that a man in his mid- to late 60s died in
the 2100 block of S. 107th St. after being injured just after 4 p.m.
by "a mechanical device he had in his backyard." Police, however,
would not confirm that the fatal injuries were caused by an airplane
propeller. Lt. Charles Padgett said the department took the device for
investigation.

Police did not release the man's name, but neighbors in the block
identified him as Bruce Hollander.

Heather Jurgaitis, who lives a few houses away, said she had seen him
working on the plane engine, starting it many times. It sounded like
an extremely loud lawn mower, she said.

Karina Stuke said she was watching Jurgaitis' three children play
outside when Hollander started the engine Tuesday. A few seconds
later, "it sounded like it backfired, almost like an explosion," Stuke
said.

"It sounded like a big volcano," said Jurgaitis' 10-year-old daughter,
Anne Marie.

Stuke brought the children into the house and looked over toward
Hollander's yard. It was clear he had been hurt, she said.

Stuke said Hollander's wife had been outside at the time of the
accident but was not hurt. Emergency medical personnel responded
"within a minute or two," she said, but Hollander died at the scene.
Detectives told the women that Hollander probably died immediately.

Jurgaitis, who has lived in the neighborhood for about 18 months, said
she hadn't considered the potential danger. As the neighbors grieved
Hollander's death, Jurgaitis said it was fortunate that none of the
neighborhood children was hurt. Detectives found a piece of the
propeller near the tire of Jurgaitis' car, just yards from where the
children had been playing.

Jurgaitis said she saw Hollander outside nearly every day, and
described him and his wife as friendly and polite. "He was always
like, 'Hey, neighbor,' " she said.
Old September 30th 04, 11:13 PM
John Theune

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
Sudden Human Stoppage! Cannot Overhaul, Wonder How Much That's Going
to Cost.

Now, that really sucks. No, you really suck, for saying such a crass
thing. That was someone's dad, and husband that died.

You are beyond hope.

Plonk.

Given his other posts why would you be suprised at this one?
Old September 30th 04, 11:30 PM
John Harlow

Sudden Human Stoppage! Cannot Overhaul, Wonder How Much That's Going
to Cost.

Apparently it cost the guy his life.

Funny guy, you.

Old October 1st 04, 03:32 AM
zatatime

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:17:31 -0700, "NW_PILOT"
wrote:

Sudden Human Stoppage! Cannot Overhaul, Wonder How Much That's Going to
Cost.

Why would you think this is funny?

Old October 1st 04, 11:21 PM
Morgans

"John Theune" wrote

Given his other posts why would you be suprised at this one?

True. I let him hang in there too long.
--
Jim in NC

---

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Prop Strike Query Dick Home Built 12 November 16th 04 02:20 AM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM