Something missing on the missed?

Old April 8th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Something missing on the missed?

OK, am I missing something or is there something missing on this missed
approach procedure at Petaluma? What do you do when you get to the
VOR? Hover?

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0603/06838G29.PDF

-Dan

Old April 8th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

What do you do when you get to the
VOR? Hover?

Didn't you see the note in the upper left corner: "Magic required"?

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
Old April 8th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The Jepp version is the same. I presume the expectation is that you
will negotiate with ATC to establish a new plan before you get to PYE,
or if you're NORDO, you'll make up a new plan of your own or proceed to
your alternate (assuming O69 was not already your alternate.)

3500 at PYE is high enough for you to go north or south on V25-27 or
north on V301, so if you were NORDO you could transition back to the
enroute chart and go somewhere else without bumping anything. The MORA,
however, is higher, so even though you're /G, I'd stick to the airways
until higher.

-- dave j

Old April 8th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

hold and request further clearance.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

oups.com...

Old April 8th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 8 Apr 2006 10:33:24 -0700, Dan wrote:

OK, am I missing something or is there something missing on this missed
approach procedure at Petaluma? What do you do when you get to the
VOR? Hover?

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0603/06838G29.PDF

Since you know the problem AND as long as I am not NORDO, I'd be putting an
annotation on the procedure to question ATC "What are the missed
procedures" on my IFR briefing portion of my initial approach into the
airport.

Maybe a call to the local airport (or one nearby) will have the answer?

Allen
Old April 8th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Dan wrote:
OK, am I missing something or is there something missing on this missed
approach procedure at Petaluma? What do you do when you get to the
VOR? Hover?

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0603/06838G29.PDF

-Dan

The end of a missed approach must support holding or en route flight.
The design is at the option of the controlling ATC facility.
Old April 9th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Not that it's any excuse, but how much do you want to bet that no aircraft
that has ever gone missed at this airport has ever even gotten halfway to
the holding fix before being vectored back to the IAF.

Kobra

oups.com...

Old April 9th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Maybe NACO made a mistake. It happens. Does anyone have a Jepp for
comparison? Missed procedure is probably missing the words "and hold." To
report chart errors:
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xm...eportingerrors

"Kobra" wrote in message
. ..
Not that it's any excuse, but how much do you want to bet that no aircraft
that has ever gone missed at this airport has ever even gotten halfway to
the holding fix before being vectored back to the IAF.

Kobra

oups.com...

Old April 10th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Dan Wegman wrote:
Maybe NACO made a mistake. It happens. Does anyone have a Jepp for
comparison? Missed procedure is probably missing the words "and hold." To
report chart errors:
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xm...eportingerrors

"Dan" wrote in message
groups.com...

OK, am I missing something or is there something missing on this missed
approach procedure at Petaluma? What do you do when you get to the
VOR? Hover?

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0603/06838G29.PDF

-Dan

Although it looks odd and most procedures have a holding pattern, the
procedures design regulation doesn't require it (TERPs paragraph 270).
The missed approach procedure only has to specify an altitude and a
clearance limit. The altitude specified in the missed approach must be
sufficient to allow enroute flight or holding. If you still have radio
contact with approach, then you're expected to relay your intentions to
them. If you don't have radio contact, just do what you would do if you
were NORDO.

John
Old April 10th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Dan Wegman wrote:
Maybe NACO made a mistake. It happens. Does anyone have a Jepp for
comparison? Missed procedure is probably missing the words "and hold." To
report chart errors:
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xm...eportingerrors

Jepp is the same. It is not a mistake.

There are lots of missed approaches without holding patterns.

KPOC ILS 26

KEMT both VOR IAPs