Upholstery Repairs

Old December 7th 04, 01:52 AM
Mike Schumann

Default Upholstery Repairs

If I own a single engine airplane that needs some interior upholstery and
trim repairs, can I contract with an automotive upholstery repair shop to do
the work, or do I need to use an FAA Repair Station?

Thanks,
--
Mike Schumann

Old December 7th 04, 03:35 PM
Newps

Mike Schumann wrote:
If I own a single engine airplane that needs some interior upholstery and
trim repairs, can I contract with an automotive upholstery repair shop to do
the work, or do I need to use an FAA Repair Station?

The auto shop is fine, you're the one signing off the logbooks.
Old December 7th 04, 04:19 PM
James M. Knox

"Mike Schumann" wrote in
ink.net:

If I own a single engine airplane that needs some interior upholstery
and trim repairs, can I contract with an automotive upholstery repair
shop to do the work, or do I need to use an FAA Repair Station?

Lots of people use RV upholstery places. Perfectly legal (with the caveats
below).

First off, technically YOU (as the owner-pilot) are doing the work... you
are just subcontracting parts of it. You are still responsible for the
safe return of the aircraft to service. As such, you can choose any shop
you want (or your aunt Matilda) to help you sew stuff together. At the
end, it is YOUR name in the log book.

The two "gotcha's" to be aware of:

o You still have the restriction on "complex disassembly" - USUALLY not a
problem, but there are some aircraft where that is not true.

o You will still have to meet certain material certifications, depending
upon aircraft certification. [Burn certifications COC, etc.]

jmk

Old December 8th 04, 05:24 AM
tony roberts

Did you change the weight & balance?
Do the materials used meet the burn ratings?
Other than that, you are probably OK (from a Canadian perspective

Tony
C-GICE

In article . net,
"Mike Schumann" wrote:

If I own a single engine airplane that needs some interior upholstery and
trim repairs, can I contract with an automotive upholstery repair shop to do
the work, or do I need to use an FAA Repair Station?

Thanks,

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
VFR OTT
Night
Cessna 172H C-GICE

Upholstery Cleaner? Alan Bloom Owning 3 August 20th 04 11:17 PM
The joy of fixing 'repairs' Michael Owning 3 November 6th 03 05:47 PM
WW2 story about Iwo Jima airplane repairs Ron Military Aviation 0 July 21st 03 05:07 AM
WW2 story about Iwo Jima airplane repairs Ron Naval Aviation 0 July 21st 03 05:07 AM
WW2 story about Iwo Jima airplane repairs Ron General Aviation 0 July 21st 03 05:07 AM